Grandeur of the Seas flu outbreak code red

We just got home from Grandeur of the Seas and we were on code red most of the cruise since there was a outbreak of flu. It meant everytime your went into eat or off the ship you had to sanitize your hands,plus when you came back on ship. The Grand Buffet was cancelled and you couldn't serve yourself at the Windjammer. Anyone who got sick was quarantined to their cabin along with anyone in the cabin. If you got sick you could get checked out by the Dr for free. I don't know how many people were affected but when we got off the ship 3 news stations were there interviewing people getting off the ship about it. I haven't seen anythibg yet. I will keep checking the boards to see if anyone knows anything.

From the multitude of media reports, the problem was Norovirus or something similar. It has also been affecting Explorer of the Seas aswell.

The hand sanitising is quite normal aboard ships with lots of people in confined areas but its doubly important when there is an outbreak of gastrointestinal illness.

The CDC was involved with both ships and are still monitoring the outbreaks.

I was on this cruise as well and I thought they did a great job of trying to stop the spread. Evertyhing was being sanitized with bleach every 15 minutes. I feel bad for the people that got sick but I was glad they confined them to their rooms.

I was on this cruise as well and I thought they did a great job of trying to stop the spread. Evertyhing was being sanitized with bleach every 15 minutes. I feel bad for the people that got sick but I was glad they confined them to their rooms.

Like the extra sanitising, quaranteening to rooms/cabins is normal procedure in cases of GI illness. The main danger of infection is then reduced although if passengers do not take precautions in respect to their own hygene, then the outbreak is alot harder to contain. The health authorities are always notified of GI illness, regardless of where the ship is or which flag it flies under. In 2004 P&O's Aurora was banned from entering some ports of call in the Mediteranean after an outbreak of GI illness.

Personal precautions are a must when aboard a ship, even if there is no signs of an outbreak. A passenger can board with the bug and not even know it as it can take around 48 hours to show symptoms, by which time that passenger has mixed with the rest of the people aboard and unknowingly spread the bug by doing ordinary things like picking up a bread roll off the buffet, holding the handrail of the stairs or not washing hands after going to the toilet.

Ultimately every passenger must take responsibility for his or her own hygene.

Just curious about how a Code Red works. Do they announce it over the loud speaker or put it in the Cruise Compass or stick up bulletins all over the ship or what do they do to make sure every one knows?

I also wonder about how rigorously it is enforced. For example Brilliance of the Seas had the hand purifier gadgets at every buffet entrance and the entrance to the ship, but I saw dozens of passengers blow right by and never use the lotion.

My sister told me on Princess a staff member made passnegers use it, but I never saw that happen on RCI.

Code Alpha/Red is a medical call over the ship tannoy system. The call is put out and the medical staff contact the bridge for instructions.

Hand hygene is a contentious subject, alot of people are of the opinion that it will never happen to them, so they do not bother about it. They are usually the first to complain, however, if they fall ill and they usually lay the blame at the door of the cruise line.

In respect to another call on a tannoy system, Code Bravo is a fire on board.

There are a set of codes that only the crew know what their significance is and they act on them accordingly.

Alot of cruise lines will enforce hygene, but there is little they can do if met by a flat refusal to comply.

They made tons of announcements and showed a program on one of the channels.

At the buffet they had the hand sanitzers out and I saw tons of people use them but yeah just as many blew right by it. They were serving us at the buffet though to reduce the cross contamination.

I wasnt worried about getting it since i wash my hands constantly in public places like that and I almost never touch railings anyway. So i was just extra vigilant. But we did talk to a lot of people that had sick travel mates. So I belieive more than the 105 people had it.

Got the flu on Weds night- sitting in the airport still sickly but not as bad. Lost appetite and never got it back! Very messy cruise for me although I enjoyed sitting on the balcony at 3 am trying not to wake my cabin mates with my illness. Btw- I am a hand washer and sanitizer- had plenty of the stuff with me. I tend to think it was the children whose faces were just at buffet level. I watched a little boy with his face right in the fruit one day.

Actually loved most of the cruise-especially Ivan's tour.

Please forward/post any press that comes out re:Grandeur and the germs.

There are a set of codes that only the crew know what their significance is and they act on them accordingly.

"Alpha, Alpha, Alpha followed by location" for a medical emergency

"Oscar, Oscar, Oscar followed by last known location" for man overboard.

as stated by the companies that make them. These products do not kill the virus, just give you a very incorrect usage. When the virus is out there it mutiplies within 48 hours for folks being contagious. Then 72 to go away............

But many have a flu like chest cold that they pass onto folks as we saw on our Transcanal cruise. Even the entertainers were ill. I was stuck in bed for the majority of the cruise after the gangway cracked my left foot, so I lucked out as did my DH. But disembarkation day sounded like General Hospial with all the coughing going on.

Just curious about how a Code Red works. Do they announce it over the loud speaker or put it in the Cruise Compass or stick up bulletins all over the ship or what do they do to make sure every one knows?

I also wonder about how rigorously it is enforced. For example Brilliance of the Seas had the hand purifier gadgets at every buffet entrance and the entrance to the ship, but I saw dozens of passengers blow right by and never use the lotion.

My sister told me on Princess a staff member made passnegers use it, but I never saw that happen on RCI.

IMO hand sanitizers should be out at all times on all ships.

To get everyone to use them is another story!:eek:

Hi Linda!

I'd be happy if we could just get everyone to wash their hands after going pottie! Hand sanitizers is a bonus!

From another Linda

I personally am of the opinion that many of our problems are caused by our own stupidity. We rushed out to buy anything and everything that claimed to be anti-bacterial. Result? We now know that we made many bateria resistant. In addition, we probably killed the good bacteria that would have helped with the bad bacteria. I believe that good, thorough washing with an old fashioned hand soap is just as effective. The current antibacterial products will have little or no effect on a viral strain - except that is, to lull us into a false sense of security:(

If hand sanitizers don't kill the virus, then why do the cruise ships insist on you using them?

We were on Mariner last May and there was an outbreak and we had hand sanitizers at the buffet and RCCL employees there making sure you used them! They did not have anyone serving the food, so after I got my food I would go back to the sanitizer and use it before I ate.

I think they should have the sanitizers all the time regardless of if there is an outbreak or not, but that is the only time we ever saw them, but I bring Purell with me on board and use it all the time.

Hi Linda!

I'd be happy if we could just get everyone to wash their hands after going pottie! Hand sanitizers is a bonus!

From another Linda

Hi Linda.....Yes, I couldn't agree more......I can't stand to see women walk out of the restrooms without washing their hands!!!!:eek: :eek:

BTW....what part of Wisconson are you from? We use to go way north each summer to Radisson area renting a cabin and went fishing with our 2 boys, for a few days.

I personally am of the opinion that many of our problems are caused by our own stupidity. We rushed out to buy anything and everything that claimed to be anti-bacterial. Result? We now know that we made many bateria resistant. In addition, we probably killed the good bacteria that would have helped with the bad bacteria. I believe that good, thorough washing with an old fashioned hand soap is just as effective. The current antibacterial products will have little or no effect on a viral strain - except that is, to lull us into a false sense of security:(

I would not call anyone stupid, but I completely agree with you and have made this point before on this topic. Anti-bacterial resisitance is a real problem and the biggest contributors are WOMEN and the advertisers that appeal to them. Advertisers push and promote anti-bacterial gels and handwashes and antibacterial air deodorizers and toilet bowl cleaners, ect on daytime tv. Every product now is a life saving antibacterial potion. They appeal to the fears and protective instinct of every mother in the country that germs are about to kill her family. Its all a bunch of bull. Now this also leads to excessive use of antibiotics in everything from physician's offices to dental offices. Its out of control. We in the HC field are also to blame. However, the public must understand that germs are not necessarily bad, in fact we live successfully with them crawling all over our bodies by the millions.

If hand sanitizers don't kill the virus, then why do the cruise ships insist on you using them?

So they can claim they're protecting you when you come down with it anyway. Sorry to be so cynical I just don't believe they are an effective tool on a cruise ship during an outbreak. If its floating around it may get you anyway. You can keep sanitizer on your hands 24/7. There is always a railing, elevator button ect. I think the best defense is to screen carefully sick looking passengers, quarentine them and have staff serve the buffet food.

Hi Linda!

From another Linda

Hello Linda and Linda from another Lynda :D And to confuse things more, ArizonaCruiser85374 and I are now neighbors, however, I'm from WI like LindaandJeff :D

I hate watching people leaving the restroom without using the sink, sheesh, some people's kids :eek:

###

It's a shame the noro virus is affecting people on cruise ships right now but not surprising as it is making it's way around my daughter's school here in Massachusetts and my sister's town in Pennsylvania. Unfortunately, just that time of year and a very contagious virus. The best thing we can all do to avoid it is just keep washing our hands vigilantly. I am always so happy to use the hand sanitizers at the entrance and exit to the buffets as this can only help keep us all healthy while on vacation. I am a nurse with 20 yrs experience in a hospital. Keep washing hands and don't put your hands to your face. Happy cruising everyone!

Hi Linda.....Yes, I couldn't agree more......I can't stand to see women walk out of the restrooms without washing their hands!!!!:eek: :eek:

BTW....what part of Wisconson are you from? We use to go way north each summer to Radisson area renting a cabin and went fishing with our 2 boys, for a few days.

We live in Pewaukee which is between Milwaukee and Madison. DH is a native Wisconsinite, while I am originally from New York. We have some relatives (Sedona) and some friends (Chandler) who live in Arizona...Do you live near either of those?

P.S. They closed one our Middle Schools the other day because over 300 students and faculty had the flu.

Linda

We live in Pewaukee which is between Milwaukee and Madison. DH is a native Wisconsinite, while I am originally from New York. We have some relatives (Sedona) and some friends (Chandler) who live in Arizona...Do you live near either of those?

P.S. They closed one our Middle Schools the other day because over 300 students and faculty had the flu.

Linda

WOW, thats pretty scary, 300 students and faculty! Hope your family wasn't effected!

We are in the far west valley of the Phoenix area. Sedona is about 1 and 1/2 hours north of us and Chandler is to our southwest about an hour or so depending on traffic.

Archived