another data breach? My.silversea reveals random peoples details - and different each time I log in!

les37b

Here's what I received from Silversea today about the data breach:

"Dear Silversea Venetian Club member,

You may be aware that some of your personal information including future cruises booked and your credit card data may have been visible to other Venetian Club members via the My Silversea portal for a brief period on March 28. This was not a data breach, but rather part of a new Silversea marketing campaign designed to increase sales by making you envious of other Venetian Club members and the wonderful cruises they have signed up for that you haven't. In addition, the only reason we shared with you the credit card information of other Venetian Club members was to make it easier for you to make a deposit on a future cruise, especially if your current credit card has been maxed out.

We hope you appreciate our new marketing campaign and we look forward to surprising you with other unique features in future.

- The Silversea Marketing Team" 

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

On 3/30/2023 at 3:13 PM, CruiserFromMaine said:

I agree totally, there is no reason at all to put a passport number on the room key card. 

I looked at my Silversea key card and a key card from another line's expedition cruise.

Both have not only the passport number but also nationality. Based on these two data points, maybe all lines do this?

It occurs to me that this information could be handy if one were run over by a truck and it became appropriate to inform the embassy. Although such a thing does seem unlikely in Antarctica.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, commodoredave said:

Here's what I received from Silversea today about the data breach:

"Dear Silversea Venetian Club member,

You may be aware that some of your personal information including future cruises booked and your credit card data may have been visible to other Venetian Club members via the My Silversea portal for a brief period on March 28. This was not a data breach, but rather part of a new Silversea marketing campaign designed to increase sales by making you envious of other Venetian Club members and the wonderful cruises they have signed up for that you haven't. In addition, the only reason we shared with you the credit card information of other Venetian Club members was to make it easier for you to make a deposit on a future cruise, especially if your current credit card has been maxed out.

We hope you appreciate our new marketing campaign and we look forward to surprising you with other unique features in future.

- The Silversea Marketing Team" 

If only you had posted that yesterday! Would have been quite apt!

23 minutes ago, pavementends said:

I looked at my Silversea key card and a key card from another line's expedition cruise.

Both have not only the passport number but also nationality. Based on these two data points, maybe all lines do this?

I can assure you that Celebrity does not.

Just now, canderson said:

I can assure you that Celebrity does not.

Nor was it on my key card with Seabourn in March of 2022. Don't think it was on my Silversea key card on the Whisper last July and August either. I guess it could be worse...what if they started putting our weight on it!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...