1st time NCL cruiser....SO MANY QUESTIONS.

zdad59

1 minute ago, graphicguy said:

Add to that, I refuse to fly Spirit, Frontier, or American.  

Spirit or Frontier? I have never heard of them booking on either airline. for the most part out of the major US carriers I have seen them stick to the big three. United, Delta, American. Everyone is going to have a horror story about EVERY SINGLE AIRLINE. I get your aversion.

But to each their own.... I like having the extra money, as it allows me to cruise more often. And with careful planning and an understanding of the rules the remaining problems left by using NCL air are likely to have STILL been a problem even if you booked on your own. weather delays, flight time changes, etc.

9 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Add to that, I refuse to fly Spirit, Frontier, or American.  Way too many bad experiences with all of them.  And it seems NCL tries to book a lot of flights on those airlines.

Yup, my direct flights were on Southwest.  MCO is one of the few destinations I can go to from my home airport and get a direct flight, unless I want to go to the South Side of Chicago or somewhere near Baltimore.  The other major airlines don't fly direct to MCO...

9 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Add to that, I refuse to fly Spirit, Frontier, or American.  Way too many bad experiences with all of them.  And it seems NCL tries to book a lot of flights on those airlines.

Yup, my direct flights were on Southwest.  MCO is one of the few destinations I can go to from my home airport and get a direct flight, unless I want to go to the South Side of Chicago or somewhere near Baltimore.  The other major airlines don't fly direct to MCO...

41 minutes ago, 603NHCruiser said:

For a lot of folks the planning is too stressful, and the fear of the unknown too great. I find the planning to be enjoyable and knowing the details inside and out allows me to relax once the vacation starts.

We are very much in sync.   We'll need to have a drink together one night.   My thought is to obsess and plan BEFROE the cruise, so when I board I can put my brain in the safe and not think for 9 days.   Now the itinerary is still just a guide.   Things change.   But having it all laid out makes dealing with changes easy as well.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, hallux said:

I find it so interesting how flight prices can change so dramatically depending on where you are in the country. My primary airport is Logan if I want a direct flight. But I have never found Southwest or Jetblue to be cheaper. by the time you pay for bags, seat selection (or boarding A for southwest) the legacy airlines always come out ahead for me.

Now Frontier and Spirit, they are another story. but I'm only willing to book them if I have no real travel plans and can afford to have both the departure and return canceled because a leaf fell on the plane in the wrong direction.

24 minutes ago, 603NHCruiser said:

Ohh yeah, if its only gonna cost about $100 more to ensure non-stops at the times I want... that's a no brainer to me. I'm booking myself haha. My Florida flights saved about $400, and a Greek Isle cruise that I have since canceled was going to save almost $1200.. I was willing to fly on the wing to save that much LOL.

My initial analysis shows that for the two of us, the total airfare savings is ~$1300.   I'll do a layover or plane change to save that much.    I'm hoping that's not an issue going out, since we're going two days early and are flying from a major hub.     The return is a tad concerning, flying out of Lisbon back to the US, but at that point I'll be sleeping on whatever plane I'm on anyway.

My worry is the luggage if we have to change planes on the way out.    We do have Air Tags fr each luggage piece, and the trip insurance I get from my Chase Sapphire card is pretty awesome.   Luggage lost is covered up to $3,000 and there's also a luggage delay payment.   Now that's still a PITA but its something.

13 minutes ago, zdad59 said:

We are very much in sync.   We'll need to have a drink together one night.   My thought is to obsess and plan BEFROE the cruise, so when I board I can put my brain in the safe and not think for 9 days.   Now the itinerary is still just a guide.   Things change.   But having it all laid out makes dealing with changes easy as well.

Exactly... The planning before hand is half the fun 😀 I split my cruise time between NCL and RCL based on who has comps through MyVegas, (which is another great travel hack if you like "wasting time" to try and save money) so if we ever find ourselves on the same ship we will have to get a drink for sure. as a planner you will probably like a lot of the posts from Sthrngary and BirdTravels. Gary in particular details just about every single plan he makes and writes great in-depth experiences based on his travel hacks. It doesn't look like your itinerary would benefit much with NCL's private lounge area which is Called Vibe, but Gary has a popular post explaining how he makes a "haven light" (NCLS premium suites) experience when not booked in the Haven. it accompanies is even more popular post about how to make the most out of the Haven.

5 minutes ago, zdad59 said:

My initial analysis shows that for the two of us, the total airfare savings is ~$1300.   I'll do a layover or plane change to save that much.    I'm hoping that's not an issue going out, since we're going two days early and are flying from a major hub.     The return is a tad concerning, flying out of Lisbon back to the US, but at that point I'll be sleeping on whatever plane I'm on anyway.

My worry is the luggage if we have to change planes on the way out.    We do have Air Tags fr each luggage piece, and the trip insurance I get from my Chase Sapphire card is pretty awesome.   Luggage lost is covered up to $3,000 and there's also a luggage delay payment.   Now that's still a PITA but its something.

Yup $1300 makes it worth it. Just a reminder, your niece and other travelers will likely be on different flights so be aware. Yup the added trip insurance of a premium CC is great to have. Heck pack a day or two worth of clothes in your carry on and if you end up with a delay or misplaced luggage it could result in a new wardrobe for free LOL. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 603NHCruiser said:

Exactly... The planning before hand is half the fun 😀 I split my cruise time between NCL and RCL based on who has comps through MyVegas, (which is another great travel hack if you like "wasting time" to try and save money) so if we ever find ourselves on the same ship we will have to get a drink for sure. as a planner you will probably like a lot of the posts from Sthrngary and BirdTravels. Gary in particular details just about every single plan he makes and writes great in-depth experiences based on his travel hacks. It doesn't look like your itinerary would benefit much with NCL's private lounge area which is Called Vibe, but Gary has a popular post explaining how he makes a "haven light" (NCLS premium suites) experience when not booked in the Haven.

We considered Vibe.   My niece is Platinum with NCL so she knows many of the ins and outs.   The 9 day itinerary we are on though only has 1 sea day.    So its super port intensive.   With that we decided against doing Vibe this trip and will use the $$ for better excursions.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, zdad59 said:

Hi NCL forum.    We are typically Celebrity and RCL cruisers but we just booked an NCL cruise with my niece, who sails NCL regularly.     It's like learning a new language.    I'll have a million questions as I am an OCD planner but here are a few to initiate me.   F

4.  We are letting NCL book our flights.   I've never let anyone do this before.   Is my paranoia justified?

I would not let NCL book my flights as they will put you on lesser desired routing.

And I have heard if something goes wrong at airport, they are not as helpful in makes changes.

I always book my own through airlines and go a day before. 

1 hour ago, 603NHCruiser said:

It doesn't look like your itinerary would benefit much with NCL's private lounge area which is Called Vibe, but Gary has a popular post explaining how he makes a "haven light" (NCLS premium suites) experience when not booked in the Haven. it accompanies is even more popular post about how to make the most out of the Haven.

I’d love to see this. What should I search to find it? 

One of the best benefits of a Club Balcony Suite is the ability to make entertainment and specialty dining reservations a few days before other passengers (except the small number of Haven passengers),  You lose this benefit if you wait until close to the sailing date to get a Club Balcony Suite.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 603NHCruiser said:

My primary airport is Logan if I want a direct flight. But I have never found Southwest or Jetblue to be cheaper.

My direct flights on Southwest to MCO from ALB were under $450.  Try to beat $400 airfare on one of the others, which accounts for the $50 in bag fees I'd have to pay on other airlines.  Actually, that also factors into the calculation of using NCL air compared to booking myself.

7 minutes ago, hallux said:

@Sthrngary (this calls him to the thread, but you can also use it to find topics he's posted) did those...

Hello, you called.  I am here.  Ask me anything.  Happy to help.  I am so bored. I am currently working on my upcoming trip for a 10 day Mediterranean Cruise in November 2023.   Love to focus on helping to make anyone's cruise better.  Yes, if anyone wants my to respond, us the @sthrngary tag.  Again, happy to help.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

Ask me anything.  Happy to help. 

Someone was looking for your "haven lite" post, I tagged you to get your attention, and so they could use the tag to find posts by you...

3 hours ago, zdad59 said:

Who would do a thing like that?  (hahaha)

My rough draft from last night is below.    Before sailing, it will be complete and LAMINATED !!

Rough Itinerary.jpg

I would do a think like this and have done it for years.  Bravo I say, bravo.  

I love a person with Excel skills.  

11:00:00 AM                          

• Like 3

@redmomof4 Here is the link to my Haven Lite stream.  It is even easier to do now with the Free At Sea Plus and the fact you can (whiles supplies last) pre-book the NCL Vibe Beach Club.  Is it the Haven? NO.  But as my wife recently said, it is pretty darn great at a much lower investment.  

Thank you @hallux for suggesting it. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Panhandle Couple said:

Club Balcony includes double Latitudes points

actually, "club balcony" f.k.a. "mini suites" only get you one point in latitudes. it doesn't count as a real "suite," mostly because it's, well, not really a suite. so, just one point a night. but there is a current 3X booking promo, which gives you 2X additional points, for a total of 3X a night.

as others have noted, the key difference in the club balcony is the larger bathroom and double sink plus the ability to book dinner reservations before those in lesser cabins. 

21 hours ago, Panhandle Couple said:

Bring a small power strip

as with all cruise ships, make sure it doesn't have a surge protector. power strips with surge protectors are prohibited.

6 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

We were booked on Delta flights so could select our flights as soon as we received the tickets.

hey, i think i know what you mean, but just to avoid confusion... NCL air didn't allow you to select flights, did they? i think what you mean is that you chose seats, logging into the delta website using your frequent flyer status, once the flights had already been assigned?

58 minutes ago, FLAHAM said:

One of the best benefits of a Club Balcony Suite is the ability to make entertainment and specialty dining reservations a few days before other passengers (except the small number of Haven passengers)

3 minutes ago, UKstages said:

the key difference in the club balcony is the larger bathroom and double sink plus the ability to book dinner reservations before those in lesser cabins.

Platinum and above can also book both early.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, UKstages said:

hey, i think i know what you mean, but just to avoid confusion... NCL air didn't allow you to select flights, did they? i think what you mean is that you chose seats, logging into the delta website using your frequent flyer status, once the flights had already been assigned?

Ahh, yes! You are 100% correct. To be more precise, I received the flight itinerary, with ticket number and confirmation code from NCL. I then went to Delta's website, signed into my account, then found my trip by entering the ticket number. 

Once I had the trip "tagged" to my account, I was able to select seats, including purchase upgrades. We chose normal seats, so no upgrades purchased. I did this, in mybaccount, for my husband and I. Then I added my known traveler number for TSA Precheck. 

It really was a simple process, but each airline probably has different rules, so if you're not on Delta it could be a completely different process.

• Like 1

thanks.

i was pretty sure i knew what you meant. i just didn't want somebody to wander by and think you could choose flights. i cruise out of NYC mostly and walk to the terminal, but i will need air for a transatlantic that i'm taking in a few months. but i typically use frequent flyer miles for that and don't book through NCL.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sthrngary said:

I would do a think like this and have done it for years.  Bravo I say, bravo.  

I love a person with Excel skills.  

11:00:00 AM                          

Haha @Sthrngary once I saw the OPs spread sheet I knew they would enjoy your posts. They always have so much great detail and I recalled how you talk about how much pre-planning you do to ensure that you are left worry free for the actual vacation. I was weary to “call” you into a post that was off topic. But glad that you found it enjoyable. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 603NHCruiser said:

Haha @Sthrngary once I saw the OPs spread sheet I knew they would enjoy your posts. They always have so much great detail and I recalled how you talk about how much pre-planning you do to ensure that you are left worry free for the actual vacation. I was weary to “call” you into a post that was off topic. But glad that you found it enjoyable. 

@603NHCruiser Call me in anytime.  Love engaging.  I am in the process of doing my due diligence on my upcoming cruise.  Unlike my posts on the Haven, Haven lite or Premium Plus Drink package; this research has much more to do with what to do at each port, what foods to eat when in a new country, how to get from the airport/hotel to the port.  

As you recognize, I get a little crazy when I do this stuff but enjoy the process immensely. So never hesitate to reach out.  

• Like 1