Shore excursion bus clarification

Sujormik

Maybe another silly question but you all will know the answer: when I read the Shore excursion options on the O website, SOME have a little icon of a coach bus.  Those are clearly coach trips (brilliant deduction, I know). OTHER options address driving through places but have neither the bus icon nor does the description say “coach” anywhere.  (1) Do they use coach buses on these trips that don't’ show the icon? (2) What do they use to transport if not a coach? School bus? Van? (3) Is there a way to discern number of people who’ll be on a given trip?

Considering adding the “ultimate” package which would give us 3 excursions…the additional cost covers the excursions so it’s probably financially worth it for that, and occasional beer or glass of wine will just be gravy. So, my question above refers to the “free” included/low end excursions.  

Thank you again!

No silly Q’s. In many/most ports O will run a Free bus into the city and drop guests to wander on their own, grab a bite, shop, etc.  Normally that is a large 40+ passenger bus if that is what is available in that city. 
if you are in Alaska and some other areas, the tour companies contract with the school districts to use their school buses and drivers for excursions. Kids do not get “comfort” 😇

Normally tours requiring transportation anywhere in the area, large 40+ pax buses/coaches are used and in most cases they are lovely coaches.  If the coaches are not common to that city area, alternative transportation may be used.

Vans are often used for the OE tours so they can accommodate fewer guests for a better tour experience. I find I can be just as uncomfortable in a bus or van but it is always nice to be traveling with 12 vs. 46, JMHO.

Your Free tours are valued up to $199 so anything above that is NOT Free.  If you book the minimum  quantity of tours to qualify for the YWYW, 25% Discount, that can often be a good value.  IF you are going to be using the Oceania Ships Tours, the Free Excursions option is probably the best value and bang for your 💵 since you are paying $100 and are able to select tours costing up to $199. You have to do the math. If uncertain, call your TA or Oceania and let them run your numbers to confirm you are selecting the correct option.  During the Oceania  Ultimate Promotion, no calculations needed since you get all three of the Amenity packages, just book your cruise before the end of April to qualify. 

Enjoy your cruise and the whole Oceania experience. 
Mauibabes

8 hours ago, Sujormik said:

Considering adding the “ultimate” package which would give us 3 excursions…the additional cost covers the excursions so it’s probably financially worth it for that, and occasional beer or glass of wine will just be gravy. So, my question above refers to the “free” included/low end excursions. 

Actually, with the "Ultimate O-Life" (all 3 included), you get the cost of O-Life back in OBC (e.g., pay $300pp for O-Life, get $300pp OBC...kind of like prepaying some/all of the cabin gratuities). So, the shorex and wine/beer at meals that you choose to receive is actually closer to "free" than with regular O-Life.

2 hours ago, AMHuntFerry said:

Actually, with the "Ultimate O-Life" (all 3 included), you get the cost of O-Life back in OBC (e.g., pay $300pp for O-Life, get $300pp OBC...kind of like prepaying some/all of the cabin gratuities). So, the shorex and wine/beer at meals that you choose to receive is actually closer to "free" than with regular O-Life.

We already had the OBC so it’s just the shores and drinks.

35 minutes ago, Sujormik said:

We already had the OBC so it’s just the shores and drinks.

Oh, sorry. You said "3 excursions…the additional cost covers the excursions so it’s probably financially worth it for that" which I misinterpreted to mean that you had not purchased O-Life yet but were considering it since the Ultimate OLife is available.

30 minutes ago, AMHuntFerry said:

Oh, sorry. You said "3 excursions…the additional cost covers the excursions so it’s probably financially worth it for that" which I misinterpreted to mean that you had not purchased O-Life yet but were considering it since the Ultimate OLife is available.

My bad, if we change to Ultimate from our existing res, it’s $150 more than what we’ve paid. Since we already had $300pp OBC, the 3 excursions are really what we are benefitting from.  I can’t really drink and my husband usually declines (in solidarity) but if he even has a glass of wine or a beer, I think we still come out ahead.  I just hate how convoluted all this stuff is!

• Like 3