LIVE from the Ruby Princess: April 2-9, 2023 Western Caribbean from Galveston

talkorpi

Day 2 Recap:

Dining room breakfast was a nice way to start the morning. Did some trivia and fun activities in the morning including a neat fruit and vegetable carving demonstration before getting lunch at Salty Dog Grill. I think the entire ship decided to go up to the pools right at noon because it was PACKED. However, SDG was a pleasant surprise and everything was really good!

For some reason today the activities were all scheduled like right at 10:00 and then nothing really happened again until 3:30. We took a nice break to relax and enjoy the outdoors, moving between the sun deck and our balcony (and no, I still can’t get over how huge it is). Did some trivia and lost by one point before getting ready for dinner and our first formal night. 

Tonight’s MDR dinner was incredible - I barely ever get to eat duck so I was SO excited to get the Duck a la Orange and it DID NOT DISAPPOINT. After our great dinner we went to Colors of the World. I… don’t know how I feel about the show? 5 minutes in I was preparing for a loooooong 45 minutes and wasn’t too impressed. Then it suddenly got really good with tons of crazy impressive Brazilian carnival type dancing and tango and it was very cool. And then the ending was really bad! The entertainment crew is very talented but I just don’t think the show flows correctly is what I guess I’m trying to say. Was a fun rollercoaster ride that’s for sure. 

After that it was a quick change back into comfy clothes and up topside for the NCAA national championship game. Was a cool experience to watch this on a ship at MUTS! Left at halftime to go play musical bingo. I actually got a bingo but didn’t call it out fast enough so I lost - oh well, it was still a fun game but definitely made a bit harder by being 1) late at night and 2) after I had 7 drinks today when it usually takes me a few months to drink that much… 😂

Overall, a great day at sea. I went ahead and booked Sabatini’s for tomorrow, and we also have the Pub Lunch so tomorrow looks like it will be all about food.

• Like 4

What time are you booking your dinners?   Im asking to find out what time to book so that we can still make the shows...?  etc.   also, i see there is a lot of private tables vs... sitting with a group at earlier times.   What are you doing?

6 minutes ago, FrankieJayIII said:

What time are you booking your dinners?   Im asking to find out what time to book so that we can still make the shows...?  etc.   also, i see there is a lot of private tables vs... sitting with a group at earlier times.   What are you doing?

Our reservation is at 5:40 each night. We showed up a couple minutes late on night 1 (still unpacking) and a few minutes early tonight since it was formal night and the dining rooms were going to be more crowded. Both nights we have been in and out by 7:00, which is perfect as the main show first seating is at 7:30. Gives me plenty of time to go in, get some decent seats, get us drinks at Wheelhouse, and come back to (hopefully) enjoy the shows. If you like to dine a little later, I would say 7:00-7:20 would probably be a decent time to make the 9:30 showtime since it would be a little busier and thus take longer. 

We requested a private table for two but you have the option to share. We are both pretty introverted and keep to ourselves so that’s definitely not for us but a lot seem to enjoy that social aspect so it is a popular option. 

Edited by talkorpi

Some other notes:

- CD Micca does a good job of balancing being visible to guests and being professional. Maybe it is because I am used to Carnival CDs who are all up in your face but while I haven’t seen him out as much as they are, when he is visible/making announcements they seem to do a better job of conveying what is going on and what not to miss. 

- Karaoke sounded like daycare. I seriously think Camp Discovery+ or whatever it’s called just made its way down to Club Fusion and dropped off the kids with a microphone. Hearing a bunch of little kids “singing” their favorite songs is cute for about 10 seconds and then hurts your ears pretty quickly after that

- I wasn’t expecting this cruise to be as full as the last few since Spring Break in TX and surrounding states was in early March but I asked Guest Services what the pax count was and they said there are 3050 passengers aboard this cruise! That’s like right around 100% double occupancy. There’s a nice mix of “this is what I pictured princess looking like” and “how are you/your getting a whole week off for Easter when all I ever got off was Good Friday” onboard for this cruise. 

Edited by talkorpi
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, talkorpi said:

And then the ending was really bad!

b-but.......you don't love it when they scream, "Can you feel it?!" 

I've seen the show probably more times than I'm willing to admit over the years and just ran through the set list in my head when you brought it up lol

And sorry to hear about your chairs issue for March Madness. We've experienced this before and a crew member was kind enough to unbuckle the chairs and lay them out for us.

Also, a request: do you mind sharing a picture of the senior officers board? Thanks in advance!

I humbly ask you to please do more live blogs on future Princess cruises if you come back! It's been a fun read to see a first-timer's POV.

• Like 2

Breakfast with a view! 

This buffet is much better than the one on Carnival. I actively avoid the buffet there but this one actually has a lot of good stuff. I think I am already becoming addicted to the chocolate chip brioche rolls…

9DE7625A-F175-4FC7-96F4-9CB0B43B1666.jpeg

• Like 5

16 hours ago, CC Rider 69 said:

Go to Guest Services when it's not crowded and see if you can get a passenger count breakdown for the April 9th sailing.

Next sailing (5-day 80’s cruise) will have 3,144 pax

• Thanks 3

10 hours ago, talkorpi said:

Our reservation is at 5:40 each night. We showed up a couple minutes late on night 1 (still unpacking) and a few minutes early tonight since it was formal night and the dining rooms were going to be more crowded. Both nights we have been in and out by 7:00, which is perfect as the main show first seating is at 7:30. Gives me plenty of time to go in, get some decent seats, get us drinks at Wheelhouse, and come back to (hopefully) enjoy the shows. If you like to dine a little later, I would say 7:00-7:20 would probably be a decent time to make the 9:30 showtime since it would be a little busier and thus take longer. 

We requested a private table for two but you have the option to share. We are both pretty introverted and keep to ourselves so that’s definitely not for us but a lot seem to enjoy that social aspect so it is a popular option. 

The main reason why we like to share tables with other guests is because we like to find out where they live and exchange ideas on what makes the places we are all from special.  Also, exchange ideas on fun places we have all visited. You are from the Hill country and I am sure many people would be interested in your tips on what would be fun things to do there.

Those conversations have added to the enjoyment of our vacations. You might want to give it a try and see if it works for you too.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, snoozecrooze said:

b-but.......you don't love it when they scream, "Can you feel it?!" 

I've seen the show probably more times than I'm willing to admit over the years and just ran through the set list in my head when you brought it up lol

And sorry to hear about your chairs issue for March Madness. We've experienced this before and a crew member was kind enough to unbuckle the chairs and lay them out for us.

Also, a request: do you mind sharing a picture of the senior officers board? Thanks in advance!

I humbly ask you to please do more live blogs on future Princess cruises if you come back! It's been a fun read to see a first-timer's POV.

Sorry this took so long. I took the picture this morning and completely forgot to post it here.

Here’s the current officer board:

3325AA71-E364-42BF-BBC3-A720DEC0CE9F.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It’s pub lunch so naturally I ordered wanted to get a beer. I don’t usually drink beer so I just asked for whatever British beer they had. This is what I got.

I don’t think it’s British

44A106A6-90D3-4BD2-8D7D-68B0ACED9C7D.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Pub lunch:

Everything was absolutely delicious, including my probably-not-British beer!

I hate peas but the pea soup was really good. I hate onions but the onion gravy on the bangers and mash was good. If you can get me to compliment something where the main ingredient is a food I don’t like, that’s pretty high praise! 

B3AC79E7-26A9-4A94-BDFE-26A250FB26A8.jpeg

59360FEC-FDFA-45FB-9713-FC95915F72B3.jpeg

0ED5CD0E-6935-431C-B428-83D039EC5BF8.jpeg

90117E8F-CA97-4936-A0BF-514B133BB656.jpeg

3952CEB9-E775-432E-9803-AF4839EF576C.jpeg

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, talkorpi said:

Sorry this took so long. I took the picture this morning and completely forgot to post it here.

Here’s the current officer board:

3325AA71-E364-42BF-BBC3-A720DEC0CE9F.jpeg

FYI, Captain Lewis is going on holiday starting the 4-9-23 sailing. His dry humor will be missed. I don't know who the relieving skipper is, so if you get a chance see if you can find out. TIA

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, talkorpi said:

It’s pub lunch so naturally I ordered wanted to get a beer. I don’t usually drink beer so I just asked for whatever British beer they had. This is what I got.

I don’t think it’s British

44A106A6-90D3-4BD2-8D7D-68B0ACED9C7D.jpeg

We haven't had Boddington since the Ruby's been in GLS. The Ruby musted have gotten a shipment of Grolsch, it is a good beer for the pub lunch.

Ordered a hurricane from Outrigger bar. After about 10 minutes I was handed this. Now, correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t believe this is a hurricane. 

I’ll call it “industrial solvent” because that’s what it looked and tasted like to me. 😂😂

39E68714-7A06-413D-B865-DEFA87BDF73E.jpeg

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, talkorpi said:

Day 2 Recap:

Dining room breakfast was a nice way to start the morning. Did some trivia and fun activities in the morning including a neat fruit and vegetable carving demonstration before getting lunch at Salty Dog Grill. I think the entire ship decided to go up to the pools right at noon because it was PACKED. However, SDG was a pleasant surprise and everything was really good!

I was onboard last week with about 3200 other people and the pool that you go through the spa to get to was not a busy as the others, even though the "chair hogs" with towels, but no one in sight were out in force.

42 minutes ago, mbglib said:

I was onboard last week with about 3200 other people and the pool that you go through the spa to get to was not a busy as the others, even though the "chair hogs" with towels, but no one in sight were out in force.

The Lotus Spa pool

• Like 1

18 hours ago, talkorpi said:

Y’all, it has only been ONE DAY and I already have a sunburn. That is one of the blessings of being Nordic/Scandinavian - I go straight from looking the color of sour cream to looking like a tomato in fifteen minutes 🫠

I feel you… I am Nordic/Scandinavian and a ginger, I just look at the sun and burn!  

‘’thanks for sharing your trip!

• Haha 2