LIVE from the Ruby Princess: April 2-9, 2023 Western Caribbean from Galveston

talkorpi

Host CJSKIDS
This post was recognized by Host CJSKIDS!

"Thanks for taking the time during your cruise to do a live from. Hope you cruise is Fantastic! Please come back and post a review after if you would be so kind. Bob Voyage!"

talkorpi was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 5 points.

Well, hello, Princess forum!  I figured since this will be my first Princess cruise, I might as well try out my first LIVE review, too!

In a little under 48 hours, we will be sailing out of Galveston Bay on the Ruby Princess for Roatan, Costa Maya, and Cozumel.  I've always wanted to do a live thread and since Princess brags about having the "best wifi at sea" then I figured I would give it a try! 😉

A little about me - I am a recent college graduate who has always LOVED everything about the cruise industry.  My dream was to work for either Carnival or Princess in their deployment or newbuild departments, but unfortunately, I was never able to get any industry experience or internships (COVID shutdowns during my Sophomore through Senior college years = no opportunities) and so now that ship has sailed.  Oh well, I guess I will have to enjoy myself as a passenger instead of an employee!

It will be me and mom on this cruise.  We travel together quite a bit so I'm excited.  I've always wanted to try Princess, but unfortunately, it has always been a little outside of our price range.  However, now that I graduated and have a stable income I decided to take the plunge and try it out (the super attractive fares that Princess had to try to lure people to Galveston in their first year back helped quite a bit with that).

We are already off to a great start - after we booked an obstructed oceanview, I placed a minimum bid for a balcony.  Not only was it accepted - we got put in one of those angled extended balcony cabins at the very back of the ship.  Not too bad!  I've been to all of these ports before and we honestly just plan on taking it pretty easy.  I probably won't be as active as other live threads in the past as I have never really done this before but I will try to answer as many questions as I can and be thorough.

(Im)patiently waiting until Sunday morning when we start the drive to Galveston! 🛳️

Edited by talkorpi
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 4

Have a great trip!!

We got off the Ruby just Sunday!  It was pretty crowded as it was still Spring Break around the US.  Lots of kids and college students able to drink at 18!

It was a good trip, though!

As for the internet speed, I posted the speed most every day on the ship. It was BAD (slow).  Download speeds were often .3 to .1 MBS.  It may be better if there are fewer people, but dont bring big expectations for timely, instant updates!  Instead, enjoy the cruise, but plan to do the update either early in the morning or late in the evening. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, talkorpi said:

Well, hello, Princess forum!  I figured since this will be my first Princess cruise, I might as well try out my first LIVE review, too!

In a little under 48 hours, we will be sailing out of Galveston Bay on the Ruby Princess for Roatan, Costa Maya, and Cozumel.  I've always wanted to do a live thread and since Princess brags about having the "best wifi at sea" then I figured I would give it a try! 😉

A little about me - I am a recent college graduate who has always LOVED everything about the cruise industry.  My dream was to work for either Carnival or Princess in their deployment or newbuild departments, but unfortunately, I was never able to get any industry experience or internships (COVID shutdowns during my Sophomore through Senior college years = no opportunities) and so now that ship has sailed.  Oh well, I guess I will have to enjoy myself as a passenger instead of an employee!

It will be me and mom on this cruise.  We travel together quite a bit so I'm excited.  I've always wanted to try Princess, but unfortunately, it has always been a little outside of our price range.  However, now that I graduated and have a stable income I decided to take the plunge and try it out (the super attractive fares that Princess had to try to lure people to Galveston in their first year back helped quite a bit with that).

We are already off to a great start - after we booked an obstructed oceanview, I placed a minimum bid for a balcony.  Not only was it accepted - we got put in one of those angled extended balcony cabins at the very back of the ship.  Not too bad!  I've been to all of these ports before and we honestly just plan on taking it pretty easy.  I probably won't be as active as other live threads in the past as I have never really done this before but I will try to answer as many questions as I can and be thorough.

(Im)patiently waiting until Sunday morning when we start the drive to 

Edited by PacnGoNow
Oops. Wrong post

I'll be on this cruise and it'll be my first on Princess as well! I won't have wifi but will try to remember to check it out while in port one day.

As for working for a cruise line, even though a ship has sailed, it always comes back to port. Don't give up!

I had an opportunity for a second interview with Carnival earlier this year for a shipboard manager position but had already accepted another offer that week. I'm older and it would've been quite a lifestyle shakeup but maybe some day! 

Bon voyage!

• Like 1

Day 1:

And we’re off! Getting gas and then we’ll hit the road. In just a few hours we’ll be in Galveston!

It’s a three ship turnaround day AND the final four is going on in Houston, so even though we are leaving rather early, I wanted to make sure we had plenty of time. See y’all soon!

10342F40-D3F2-46FF-9A03-4B261B42157E.jpeg

• Like 2

Have a great cruise! I am curious how you would rate the experience of dropping off your car before boarding. Is the parking covered or open? Did they provide transportation to the ship and how was luggage handled after you parked? 

• Like 1

WOW! That was the easiest embarkation EVER! It took maybe 15 minutes from walking up to the terminal to being onboard. 

The Ruby is absolutely beautiful and looks so much grander in person than online. 

Very, VERY impressed with Princess so far! I’ll get back to answer questions once we are all settled in.

BCDEED84-B20B-42B2-8469-597FF764915A.jpeg

01C77D5C-EA52-49F5-9136-36C9DBAD26E3.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

So when I booked this cruise I booked us in an obstructed oceanview stateroom. However, I almost immediately placed a minimum bid for a standard balcony cabin just to see what would happen. 

Judging by our room assignment I think it’s safe to say that I am one VERY happy cruiser right now! This balcony is HUGE!

8FEBF5A4-B5BD-452B-8F79-6993CA00C5CD.jpeg

8965D57F-1C3E-4080-BE1C-56CB74F281A0.jpeg

E64F22A8-44BF-4406-B330-66451CB4FA1A.jpeg

• Like 11

2 hours ago, roadster08 said:

Have a great cruise! I am curious how you would rate the experience of dropping off your car before boarding. Is the parking covered or open? Did they provide transportation to the ship and how was luggage handled after you parked? 

Thanks!

Galveston is my homeport so I have embarkation pretty much figured out here (at least that’s what I tell myself to alleviate stress). We dropped off our luggage at the terminal first and the Porter handled it from there. It’s a three ship turnaround today but the traffic actually wasn’t as bad as last time we were here with just two ships.

We used a private parking lot called Cruise Park - it’s uncovered and has no shuttle to the pier, but it’s just a ten minute walk to the terminal and the owners are some of the nicest people you’ll ever meet. There are also covered and garage options, but I just see uncovered as the chance for a free car wash 😆

Embarkation was a total breeze. Usually it takes me over an hour on a good day to get on Carnival from Galveston. I was literally walking onto the Ruby within 15 minutes of getting to the terminal. I kept thinking that we missed something because I couldn’t believe how fast it went

Edited by talkorpi
  • Like 3

hey @talkorpi! also stopping by to tell you to not give up on your dreams! would love to see a fellow CC'er make it into such an exclusive bunch within the industry.

thanks for sharing your cruise with us onboard the Ruby! i thoroughly enjoyed the vessel the last time i was onboard and hope you also have a good first experience with princess!

• Like 3

Aloha. Looking forward to your reports and of course as I always say…food pictures.  Sailed on the Ruby on her christening voyage with the Love Boat TV stars many years ago.  A beautiful ship. Love princess and hop you and mom have a super great time!

• Like 2

Weather is finally clearing up in port just in time for sail away! Lots of pax very confused/irritated with the “not being able to use your beverage package” situation in Galveston. 

I will also note that in the “OceanNow” section of the app, the drinks don’t even appear. I guess it’s because of the whole Texas law thing, which makes sense. Will see if it updates once we are out to sea. 

7EB09A54-B961-4AA2-A3A1-3EADF474554B.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Following along.  We were on the Ruby ages ago. Glad to hear she is still looking great. Love those Dirty Banana drinks.  We have always wanted to try a cruise out of Galveston.  Seems like the prices are always very decent.  Would mean us having to fly into Houston International or the Hobby Airport, and then renting a car. Each time we looked into the car rental, there was a hefty one way drop off charge and we have hesitated.  I guess we could take the Princess transfer and rent our car and spend a few days prior in Houston seeing the sights there first.  Never been before to Houston except on my way to Hawaii.  

• Like 1