Athens without a tour guide, just a driver?

Susan2771

Hello everyone.  We are a group of 7 that will be doing a private tour for Athens.  We are booking the mini-van but one in our group thinks we don't need a licensed tour guide to spend the day with us.  I do get the cost is getting up there for the guide, driver and mini-van.  I don't know if we will ever visit Athens again and want to do it right, but I do get that it is pricey with having to still get the entrance tickets on top of everything else for each site.  Has anyone visited sites like the Acropolis, the Temple of Zeus, The Old Palace,  The Panathenaic Stadium without a guide?  If you did, do you feel the experience would have been more enriching with a tour guide?  Does anyone know if any of these sites have a guide on premises that we can hire on the spot?  Thank-you for your help.🙂

I've done all of those things and more without a guide.  Or a driver, for that matter.  But I read a lot in advance of where I will be visiting.  I bring guide books to glance thru the night before.  Sometimes, I bring material with me during the day so I can look thru it.

If your 7 aren't going to do any of that prior to visiting.  They won't likely know much about what they are seeing other than what they have learned in school or watching TV.

When you say you’re “booking the mini van”, do you mean that you’re doing it through your ship? Their offerings tend to be very expensive. If you read through this forum, you might find suggestions of local operators that are less pricey and include a guide or at least an informed driver…

The only place where you’re likely to find a guide for hire is at the acropolis. Guides wait at the entrance and try to gather a group of about 10-12 ( the cost is pooled).

Most of the sites people want to see are close together and are within the mostly pedestrianized area in central Athens. It may be less $$ to just get a transfer to and from this area than have a mini van all day (unless you have someone with mobility issues).

Regardless of how you do it, some research on your end will enrich the experience and help you decide what to visit. For example, I rate the pan-Athenaic stadium a big “ho hum”, while places not on your last like the Tower of the Winds in the Roman Agora, and all of the Greek Agora I would highly recommend, along with the fabulous Archaeological Museum.

On 4/3/2023 at 8:01 PM, cruisemom42 said:

When you say you’re “booking the mini van”, do you mean that you’re doing it through your ship? Their offerings tend to be very expensive. If you read through this forum, you might find suggestions of local operators that are less pricey and include a guide or at least an informed driver…

The only place where you’re likely to find a guide for hire is at the acropolis. Guides wait at the entrance and try to gather a group of about 10-12 ( the cost is pooled).

Most of the sites people want to see are close together and are within the mostly pedestrianized area in central Athens. It may be less $$ to just get a transfer to and from this area than have a mini van all day (unless you have someone with mobility issues).

Regardless of how you do it, some research on your end will enrich the experience and help you decide what to visit. For example, I rate the pan-Athenaic stadium a big “ho hum”, while places not on your last like the Tower of the Winds in the Roman Agora, and all of the Greek Agora I would highly recommend, along with the fabulous Archaeological Museum.

No, it isn't through the cruise line.  It is a private tour company recommended by other posters on this board. .  I think we are going to wing it and use the guided tour at the sites.  Thank-you for sharing your first hand experience.  It is very helpful 🙂