Use extreme caution when redeeming Carnival gift cards

shiner6

6 hours ago, mz-s said:

The point is "just use a credit card" doesn't help when the problem isn't necessarily the gift card, it's Carnival's incompetence when it comes to processing refunds.

If only that were true, but alas.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/3/2023 at 10:59 AM, shiner6 said:

Let me preface by stating that I have been booking my own cruises for 20 years. This is my first time using a TA and my first Carnival cruise.

I am putting my experience on here to help others avoid the pitfalls which I fell into. I purchased over $6,000 worth of gift cards on AARP to help pay for my Carnival cruises.  I used a TA to book the cruises but purchased all the extras myself on the Carnival manage your booking site.   I had 2 b2b cruises to Norway and Baltic. I had to cancel one of the cruises. This is when I discovered that my TA had failed to properly deposit my gift cards.   My new TA spent hours trying to get my money refunded.

Be aware that your gift cards do not automatically have the money refunded to them.  Save all the cards and document dates and times you use them. (I saved everything, thanks to advice on this board, and glad I did).

Carnival representatives had many different excuses for delay in refund.... It is almost comical, but my $$$$$ is involved, so I am not laughing.

What I have learned so far is this:  1. Be extremely careful when choosing a TA,and monitor what they do. 2. Do NOT ever book an excursion or any extras through the Fun shops on the Carnival Website with Gift cards (have your TA do it).  I have spent a total of 8 hours on different dates on the phone trying to straighten this out.  Bottom line is, I have to do a conference call with my TA on the line in order to get my money returned to a gift card. I asked for Carnival to email me a copy of their accounting form/ they refused.  My next step, if this doesn"t work, is to see if my Travel insurance will cover the loss.  What a mess!

Just so sorry I ever got involved in this mess.  I will update this thread as I go along......

I had very similar problems with their Gift Cards when a cruise had to be cancelled and more than $1,000 was pre paid via gift cards. We never really did our money back... Extremely difficult to track as they change numbers and don't account to you what original GC was used for what and how much. Then you may or may not get amounts back, and those amounts will never line up with your original purchases...

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so I know there are differences of opinions on this, but let's point out something.  It doesn't matter if it is gift card or credit card... if they make a mistake they make a mistake which is what the OP started this thread on.

I and my family too had several cruises and almost 10K wrapped up when Covid hit (most via gift card).  We were booked, and rebooked, and rebooked and cancelled... more times than I can count.  I 100% got back every single penny in the end I was owed.  There were lots of complaints about credit card refunds then too by the way.  While a credit card does give you the option of disputing it so you have that piece of mind, you still have to go through a process if something goes wrong

I have used gift cards for years, to book everything and while there have been a couple hiccups here and there.. I have never been out 1 cent.  I have had an issue or two with a refund being delayed (during Covid EVERYBODY's was delayed) and a wrong amount refunded  - BOTH to gift cards and to credit card - but through diligent contact by me it was resolved to my satisfaction.  

If you can save 10% on everything you do and figure total all in at $2000-$3000 a cruise... and you do this 4 or 5 times a year.  It really adds up fast.

Edited by wemjam