New option to insure vouchers

KathyA

Just received an offer from Viking (limited time through April 22). Viking Travel Protection Plan will now cover Viking vouchers.  Must call them to find out if there is an additional cost.  I have two cruises booked, and both insured through TripMate (Viking's plan).  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KathyA said:

Just received an offer from Viking (limited time through April 22). Viking Travel Protection Plan will now cover Viking vouchers.  Must call them to find out if there is an additional cost.  I have two cruises booked, and both insured through TripMate (Viking's plan).  

Why a limited time?

The email I received included:

"We are writing to inform you that we have made improvements to the Travel Protection Plan offered by Viking for guests residing in the United States. Should any unforeseen circumstances arise, the new Travel Protection Plan will not only protect your cash investment, but it will also protect the value of any Viking vouchers applied to your voyage. 

We see that you have already purchased the Travel Protection Plan and want to ensure you can take advantage of this upgrade and the expanded protection it provides. For a limited time, we are offering guests the opportunity to expand your travel protection by opting into the new Travel Protection Plan. 

A Viking representative will be able to advise you of any increase to your premium prior to your decision. Guests residing outside of the United States are not eligible for this opportunity. Terms and conditions of the Travel Protection Plan can be reviewed here.  

To take advantage of the additional coverage the Travel Protection Plan upgrade provides, you must opt-in by April 22, 2023. Please contact your Travel Advisor or Viking at 1-877-668-4546, between 5:00 AM to 7:00 PM, PT. 

Thank you for choosing Viking. We look forward to welcoming you on board."  

15 minutes ago, KathyA said:

I called.  For us the additional charge per person would be over $1000 more. 

Thank you janetcbl.  You've saved me a phone call.  No way.  I figured if it was maybe $10 or $20 more it would probably be worth it.  For $1000, I'll take my chances that I don't cancel.

21 minutes ago, KathyA said:

Thank you janetcbl.  You've saved me a phone call.  No way.  I figured if it was maybe $10 or $20 more it would probably be worth it.  For $1000, I'll take my chances that I don't cancel.

I don’t know that this would be the cost for everyone….I would imagine how much you paid for the cruise to be the deciding factor.

1 hour ago, janetcbl said:

I don’t know that this would be the cost for everyone….I would imagine how much you paid for the cruise to be the deciding factor.

I received a quote for $200 ($100/pp) upgrade that covered the $5.4k in vouchers we had applied to our 2024 cruise.

24 minutes ago, SailorPaulH said:

I received a quote for $200 ($100/pp) upgrade that covered the $5.4k in vouchers we had applied to our 2024 cruise.

Good to know. I plan to call Viking again as our vouchers were less than yours, yet our charge would be $1000!

Just called Viking. The first agent “obviously made a mistake” according to the agent. She said it would be $100 more pp!  SailorPaulH: Thank you so much for your post! We went ahead and added the additional coverage. 

Based on the various reports, I decided to call.  Really glad I did.  Both of my booked cruises now include the voucher insurance and at no cost to me.  One of the cruises had $3000 in vouchers, and the other only $400.  Still, very happy with the outcome and kudos to Viking.

Yes this will be welcome!!!

We would have done things differently when we had to cancel our Antarctica trip if the vouchers could have been insured.