‘FREE AT SEA’ AND ‘MORE OFFERS’ pricing?

2travelcats

I am new to NCL, have been looking at Pride/Hawaii cruises for several weeks and wondering if the ‘FREE AT SEA’ AND ‘MORE OFFERS’ ever really end.  

I see I can remove the Open Bar and Specialty Dining but wondering if the cruise price might drop without the other FREE offers.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Prices can fluctuate. They can go up. They can go down.  

The Free at Sea promos can change slightly but there will be something that is nearly identical to what you see today. Specific dates can have an impact on certain promos such as 3rd/4th free not applying to certain dates like holidays, school breaks, etc. Half price deposits (not applicable to Haven/Suite bookings) can come and go. 

If you see something that you like and the price is right, book it. If the price goes up, you won't care because you are locked into the price that you have. If the price goes down and you are outside of the penalty phase, cancel and rebook at the lower price. If promos get better or worse, it is a bit more complicated. You would have to determine if a better promo with a higher price is worth it or if a lower price with worse promos is worth it. 

People are different so what's important to one person might not be important to the next person.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2travelcats said:

I am new to NCL, have been looking at Pride/Hawaii cruises for several weeks and wondering if the ‘FREE AT SEA’ AND ‘MORE OFFERS’ ever really end.  I see I can remove the Open Bar and Specialty Dining but wondering if the cruise price might drop without the other FREE offers. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Yes, you can opt of of paying the gratuities on the open bar and specialty dining, if you choose. 

You can also try to book a sailaway fare without any promotions. It will save a little. They are not always offered or offered in very limited supply. They are also guarantee rooms, so you will be assigned whatever room no one else wanted closer to cruise date. 

2 hours ago, 2travelcats said:

I am new to NCL, have been looking at Pride/Hawaii cruises for several weeks and wondering if the ‘FREE AT SEA’ AND ‘MORE OFFERS’ ever really end.  

I see I can remove the Open Bar and Specialty Dining but wondering if the cruise price might drop without the other FREE offers.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

The regular free at sea offers(Drinks, Dining, Wifi and Shore Excursions) do not end.  The % off and guest free will end at times and be replaced with a new deal that doesn't really change the amount.  You can not remove the Wifi or shore excursion credit.  If you do not drink enough to cover the gratuities on the drink package(at least 2 drinks a day), you should still keep Specialty Dining.  The amount to pay in gratuities is not much compared to what you save if you were to pay out of pocket for the meals.  

• Like 1

We first got the beverage and dining package included in 2015. I don’t recall whether it was called Free at Sea then, and you got a lot more meals included, but the basic deal has been available ever since.

They added Wi-Fi and the shore excursion discount and reduced the number of meals gradually, but the standard beverage package has remained about the same.

Is the specialty dining for one dinner at any specialty restaurant?  What about a la carte.  Also, is the excursion credit $50/cabin/excursion or just 1 excursion?  Thanks for the clarification.

7 minutes ago, wpas1 said:

Is the specialty dining for one dinner at any specialty restaurant?  What about a la carte.  Also, is the excursion credit $50/cabin/excursion or just 1 excursion?  Thanks for the clarification.

Any speciality restaurant. In a la carte places you basically get one of each course.

The discount is per excursion. If you can fit them in then it can be used more than once in a single port.

One more clarification, sorry I am having such a hard time understanding this.  
Here is what my reservation says: 

1 x Shore Excursion Discount
2 x 2 Meal Speciality Dining Package

2 x Internet Package (300 Minutes)
2 x UNLIMITED OPEN BAR PACKAG

Does this mean we have 2 nights at specialty dining?

6 minutes ago, wpas1 said:

One more clarification, sorry I am having such a hard time understanding this.  
Here is what my reservation says: 

2 x 2 Meal Speciality Dining Package

2 x Internet Package (300 Minutes)
2 x UNLIMITED OPEN BAR PACKAG

Does this mean we have 2 nights at specialty dining?

Yes it does. Two meals for Guest 1 and Guest 2 on the reservation. 

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

Yes it does. Two meals for Guest 1 and Guest 2 on the reservation. 

Hi, I am also confused about this free offer. I understand that the shore excursion credit $50 is only for one person in cabin, but is it only for one excursion for the whole cruise or $50 credit can be applied to excursion in each port?? Ty. 

4 minutes ago, kidney65 said:

Hi, I am also confused about this free offer. I understand that the shore excursion credit $50 is only for one person in cabin, but is it only for one excursion for the whole cruise or $50 credit can be applied to excursion in each port?? Ty. 

$50 off every shore excursion taken by Passenger 1. If you can squeeze in multiple excursions in one port, then you will get $50 off each. This includes disembarkation tours on the way back to the airport. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

$50 off every shore excursion taken by Passenger 1. If you can squeeze in multiple excursions in one port, then you will get $50 off each. This includes disembarkation tours on the way back to the airport. 

Bird, you always do a good job of explaining the FAS, especially the excursion $50.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wpas1 said:

Is the specialty dining for one dinner at any specialty restaurant?  What about a la carte.  

For Example: This would be a typical Free at Sea dinner we would order a Le Bistro. With the 20% gratuity, this is a $108 dinner. The Free at Sea perk gratuity would cost you $8.90 for this meal (a $99 savings)

image.png.0be829e4c86e6233964532999c84f9c4.png

Edited by BirdTravels

18 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Thank you so much for this clear explanation!  One more question, would I be able to apply latitude discount extra 10% off shore excursion if I book online or do I need to wait to reserve after I board the ship? Sorry for too many questions. 

3 hours ago, kidney65 said:

Thank you so much for this clear explanation!  One more question, would I be able to apply latitude discount extra 10% off shore excursion if I book online or do I need to wait to reserve after I board the ship? Sorry for too many questions. 

Yes, first they will deduct the $50 and then do the 10% deduction. Online, they will automatically do the deduction.

I've only booked tours online I've read on CC from some writes that if you book on board, you may have to remind theexcursion desk people of your discount. 

6 hours ago, kidney65 said:

You play not see the latitudes deduction until you add the excursion to your basket. I think that is why some people report that you can’t get it online.

OP here - thanks everyone for sharing.  Since I know nothing is ever really free and we would not be using these offers, I’m interested in comparing pricing without the free airfare (for the 2nd guest) and free 3rd and 4th guests.

I went ahead and made a reservation for a what looks like a great aft balcony for May of 2024. Like all cruises we take, I’ll be obsessively checking prices for the next year!

On 4/5/2023 at 12:29 PM, wpas1 said:

The number of specialty dining depends on the length of the cruise. If you have one dining, your cruise is probably less than a week. Sometimes NCL gives $50.00 off per cabin for each port stop/excursion and sometimes it's an only $50.00.period.  Check with your travel agent. 

13 minutes ago, Mekkar said:

The number of specialty dining depends on the length of the cruise. If you have one dining, your cruise is probably less than a week. Sometimes NCL gives $50.00 off per cabin for each port stop/excursion and sometimes it's an only $50.00.period.  Check with your travel agent. 

This is what my reservation states:

2 x 2 Meal Speciality Dining Package

I get 2 people for 2 specialty meals, but what is the shore excursion?  I booked directly so no travel agent to ask.

9 minutes ago, wpas1 said:

I get 2 people for 2 specialty meals, but what is the shore excursion?  I booked directly so no travel agent to ask.

$50 USD Shore Excursion Credit

• Offer is applicable to first guest on the cruise reservation.
  • The first guest shall receive free shore excursions priced at $50 or less (“the promotion”)
  • In the alternative, first guest will receive $50 in Shore Excursion Credits to apply against shore excursions priced greater than $50.
  • $50 Shore Excursion Credit is applicable to all tours, including debarkation tours.
  • In the event the tour is less than the value of the credit the $50 Shore Excursion Credit will be adjusted to match the tour value.
  • The first guest may redeem the promotion of $50 Shore Excursion Credit on more than one shore excursion per port.
  • Latitude Members Discount is combinable with the $50 Shore Excursion Credit.
  • In the case of multiple excursion credits or discounts, the $50 Shore Excursion Credit will be applied first followed by any additional shore excursion discounts.
  • In the event a port of call or shore excursion is canceled, the guest will be refunded the amount that the guest paid for the excursion.
  • For shore excursions purchased prior to cruise, the promotion or $50 Shore Excursion Credits will be applied to the first guest at time of purchase.
    For shore excursions purchased onboard, the promotion or $50 Shore Excursion Credit will be applied to the first guest’s onboard account.
    Please see additional restrictions below:
    • If the first guest purchases shore excursions tickets for other guests, the promotion and $50 Shore Excursion Credit will not apply to such tickets.
    • The first guest cannot purchase shore excursions for themselves where the duration of such excursions overlap in time.
    • For port calls in Great Stirrup Cay and Harvest Caye, the promotion and $50 Shore Excursion Credit does not apply to equipment rentals.
    • Pre-cruise and post-cruise land tours are not eligible for this promotion.
    • $50 Shore Excursion Credit has no monetary value, are non-refundable, non-transferable and cannot be exchanged for actual currency of any value.
    • Other guest in the stateroom are not eligible to receive the promotion or $50 Shore Excursion Credits.
    • Shore excursion credit can be redeemed by booking online via NCL.com, by calling 1-866-625-1167, or onboard

Sorry to jump onto this question.

The Ts&Cs say: "20% gratuity and beverage service charge will be added to all package purchases."

We've pre-paid the daily service charges, but is the 20% charge added on top of this for any food we order or is this included in the daily service charges?

2 hours ago, SofaSogood said:

We've pre-paid the daily service charges, but is the 20% charge added on top of this for any food we order or is this included in the daily service charges?

Whatever you buy on the ship gets 20% added.

If you took the dining package promo, food covered by the package does not have 20% added to it since you already paid 20% on the package before your got onto the ship. If you took the beverage package promo, drinks covered by the package do not have 20% added to them since you already paid 20% on the package before you got onto the ship.

Even if you took the dining package promo, food not covered by the package will have 20% added to it. 

Even if you took the beverage package promo, drinks not covered by the package and/or drinks that cost over $15 will have 20% added to whatever is not covered. If you order a $20 drink, the additional $5 plus 20% ($1) will result in a $6 charge to your account. 

2 hours ago, SofaSogood said:

Sorry to jump onto this question.

The Ts&Cs say: "20% gratuity and beverage service charge will be added to all package purchases."

Daily service charges are for the housekeeping staff, main dining room staff and behind the scenes staff.  It does not include bartenders and specialty dining staff. If you took the free at sea dining package and drink package, you already paid the 20% gratuity for those packages when you booked the cruise.  You will not have to pay gratuities on a drinks or dining unless you purchase something outside the packages.  Tipping extra is at your discretion.

13 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Whatever you buy on the ship gets 20% added.

If you took the dining package promo, food covered by the package does not have 20% added to it since you already paid 20% on the package before your got onto the ship. If you took the beverage package promo, drinks covered by the package do not have 20% added to them since you already paid 20% on the package before you got onto the ship.

Even if you took the dining package promo, food not covered by the package will have 20% added to it. 

Even if you took the beverage package promo, drinks not covered by the package and/or drinks that cost over $15 will have 20% added to whatever is not covered. If you order a $20 drink, the additional $5 plus 20% ($1) will result in a $6 charge to your account. 

13 hours ago, Liljo22 said:

Daily service charges are for the housekeeping staff, main dining room staff and behind the scenes staff.  It does not include bartenders and specialty dining staff. If you took the free at sea dining package and drink package, you already paid the 20% gratuity for those packages when you booked the cruise.  You will not have to pay gratuities on a drinks or dining unless you purchase something outside the packages.  Tipping extra is at your discretion.

Perfect, thank you both for clarifying. 🙂

We've got the Free at Sea Plus and upgraded, so we have the full beverages + starbucks coffees etc, 3 x specialty dining nights, unlimited wifi & the extra $50 off the excursions.

We're going for our honeymoon, so going all out and making the most of what we can get, as we probably won't be able to afford another cruise. 😄 

23 minutes ago, SofaSogood said:

Perfect, thank you both for clarifying. 🙂

We've got the Free at Sea Plus and upgraded, so we have the full beverages + starbucks coffees etc, 3 x specialty dining nights, unlimited wifi & the extra $50 off the excursions.

We're going for our honeymoon, so going all out and making the most of what we can get, as we probably won't be able to afford another cruise. 😄 

Congrats.  Have a great time.  You are all set then.  You don't need to pay additional tips unless you want to.  You won't receive a receipt to sign for your drinks so if you want to tip extra bring cash.  For the dinners, you will get a receipt showing what you would have paid and there will be a line to add an additional tip.  Its all up to you if you want to tip extra.  There is no wrong answer either way.