Choice for Alaska Cruise...Royal Caribbean(Quantum), Norwegian (Encore), Princess (Royal)

hernonmom4

Booking a somewhat last minute Alaska Cruise for the last week of June. The week in non-negotiable. We are  2 couples who have both cruised but not together. DH and I have been loyal to Royal Caribbean (10 or more) with one Carnival aberration  (we did not enjoy) and one NCL (which was ok). We know how Royal works and love the Pub with live guitar player every night. We are looking to go in and out of Seattle with a day or 2 on the front or back to see Seattle. Any strong opinions on which ship? The itinerary's are similar with the Quantum just not doing Glacier Bay where the other 2 do. Also each ship is only offering balcony cabins that are run of the house (they pick it for you), probably due to it being so close to sailing. So we will most likely end up with an obstructed view no matter which ship we choose. Price wise they are all in the same range. Also open to another recommendation for a 7 day R/T Seattle. Thank you all, after years of stalking I know I will get some good advice.

Well, you've come to the Princess board so I think you'll hear from many of us who think that you should go with Princess.

But if you're looking for an alternative to all of this, did you consider HAL as an option? I think a smaller ship might be better for cruising Alaska, but that's just me.

Royal Princess doesn't have a true pub but she has a lot of live music onboard and hopefully that can satisfy your craving on that front. I also respect Princess's Alaska product and the rich assortment of enrichment opportunities.

I will say that the Encore has her own Observation Lounge and that's an unparalleled venue (between your choices). Similarly, Quantum has 270 in the back, which is also unparalleled. If you want Glacier Bay, you can't do Quantum. If you want a more comprehensive Alaska product, I'd recommend Princess. Ultimately, if you just want a good time, I'd say to go with whichever works best for your budget.

• Like 1

One concern I have with NCL in Alaska is that they have built a new port outside Ketchikan called Ward Cove. They run a shuttle to/from town, but for ships with short port times in Ketchikan you don’t have much time once you take the shuttle back and forth. With other cruise lines you dock right in town.

• Like 2

If this is your first time on an Alaskan cruise then I would rule out Royal Caribbean because they can't go into Glacier Bay National Park.  In my opinion Glacier Bay is a must do for the first time to Alaska.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Oakman58 said:

If this is your first time on an Alaskan cruise then I would rule out Royal Caribbean because they can't go into Glacier Bay National Park.  In my opinion Glacier Bay is a must do for the first time to Alaska.

I second that!! We have been to Alaska a number of times on both Princess and Royal. Princess by far knows how to do Alaska. From the food to the lectures it is centered around Alaska. I love Royal for most cruises, they seem to have a great ship at a good price. But, for Alaska in my opinion I think Princess is the only way to go. 

• Like 1