Port in Charleston

Simms

I will be sailing on the Majesty on 3/18 out of Charleston. Does anyone know if I should drop my family at the docks & park the car or should everyone go to the parking area & take a shuttle over?

Is this an easy transition to get to the ship?

• 6 months later...

I doubt that you will find a hotel in the historic district/ downtown Charleston for around $100.00. If you do parking will probably be extra. March is not the "low season"; the "low season" prices are during June, July, and August. Also it is not too early to book a hotel. If a convention is in town or a special event, available hotel rooms can become quite scarce.

I recently stayed at the Anchorage Inn, which is an easy walk from the passenger wharf, the rate was $99.00 a night (low season). Parking at the nearby city owned garage was $12.00 a night with in/out privileges. The price for hotel rooms throughout Charleston jumps higher on Friday and Saturday too.

Most of the hotels within walking distance do not have their own parking, but the following do: Hampton Inn, Embassy Suites, Holiday Inn, and Days Inn.

Actually Calliope

We Stayed at Hoilday Inn Riverside ( the round one near downtown) on February 10 th 2006 and It was $95.00 a night . With free buffet breakfast. We did it also the fall of 2005 but had a free night so dont know the rates. Free parking and they took us to and fro the Port, no charge. we only tipped both ways. It was like 2 miles

I know that there are North Charleston & Mt Pleasant hotels offering the same services they were a little cheaper.

winter is the cheapest rates for Charleston.

I will be sailing on the Majesty on 3/18 out of Charleston. Does anyone know if I should drop my family at the docks & park the car or should everyone go to the parking area & take a shuttle over?

Is this an easy transition to get to the ship?

Is this RCCL Majesty Of the Seas ? If so I don't see this cruise leaving from Charleston. If it is a different Majesty what cruise line is it ?

Also I would appreciate any info anyone has about which lines cruise out of Charelston, SC. Thanks

Call a travel agent.

I can't believe I didn't think of this on my own.

I do appreciate you taking the time to reply with your incredible knowledge and insight.

I don't think you should stop with just this topic. You should share this information with everybody on this board as it could be applied to just about every question.

Here's some more incredible knowledge and insight for you Mark. There's a search engine called Google. And if you enter the keywords PORT OF CHARLESTON, you'd be amazed at the wealth of information you could find out on your own.

And you know you're right, the information I have provided to you could answer many many questions posed on this board, like whether a certain hotel has a shuttle, or a free breakfast. One is much more likely to get a quick and correct answer just by calling the hotel in question, but instead many prefer to ask this and similar questions on a large forum where they may wait hours or days for an answer, and then only hope that they have received information which is current and correct.

Hey Mark- Guess by now you googled and called your travel agent and already know that the Majesty is NCL :)

Small older ship with mainly older crowd except college spring break H@ll time. But a close port for me and any cruise is good. Carnival has 2 cruises a year out of there too.

Here's some more incredible knowledge and insight for you Mark. There's a search engine called Google. And if you enter the keywords PORT OF CHARLESTON, you'd be amazed at the wealth of information you could find out on your own.

And you know you're right, the information I have provided to you could answer many many questions posed on this board, like whether a certain hotel has a shuttle, or a free breakfast. One is much more likely to get a quick and correct answer just by calling the hotel in question, but instead many prefer to ask this and similar questions on a large forum where they may wait hours or days for an answer, and then only hope that they have received information which is current and correct.

This is certainly an issue that needs to be corrected and it seems like you are just the person for the job. While you set the world straight please also mention that when you get information the way you suggest you may miss out on additional input. An example would be the post that follows yours.

<<<Hey Mark- Guess by now you googled and called your travel agent and already know that the Majesty is NCL :)

Small older ship with mainly older crowd except college spring break H@ll time. But a close port for me and any cruise is good. Carnival has 2 cruises a year out of there too.>>>

By this person taking the time to respond in a constructive way I learned a couple of additional things. As a person with over 2000 posts I would have thought you already knew this was one of the benefits of gathering information on a public forum.

Good luck with your mission.

We've cruised twice on the Majesty out of Charleston and three times on the Galaxy when she was going out of Charleston. It's a great port for us since we're close, plus we LOVE Charleston.

Parking at the dock is $10 per day (7 night cruise is considered 8 days), but that's per car not per person, so if two couples drove together, that makes it even more affordable. $80 sounds pretty good when you realize the parking lot is within an easy walk of the ship. For those who would want the car covered, be aware - these lots are in an open area.

Some the above answers are also correct - outlying hotels (for example in Mt. Pleasant) will allow you to leave your car at the hotel and provide transportation either one way or both ways. A taxi over to Mt. Pleasant is expensive, so be sure the hotel will also pick up up afterwards.

Mary Jane

• 2 weeks later...

Just another idea to throw into the hat. And, no, Mark, I did not call my travel agent. We are staying at the Charleston Airport Radisson - they have a "cruise special" - it's $105 and it includes a room, breakfast, a shuttle to the pier, and free parking for the week. We have a 22-foot RV that bumped us up to the next price level at the pier, so we're doing the cruise special at the Radisson.

Archived