Price refunds

5waldos

How does SS typically handle refund for price drops? I was told that it could be an actual refund (preferred), a future credit, or onboard credit. We have an $900 price drop and if they issue this as onboard credit I will be quite upset- it would be extremely difficult to spend that much onboard an expedition ship. It would essentially be wasting the money- nearly daily massages? Stuff I don't want from the gift shop? Or is it money that can be refunded at the end of the cruise? Anyone have any thoughts here about what usually happens?

43 minutes ago, 5waldos said:

How does SS typically handle refund for price drops? I was told that it could be an actual refund (preferred), a future credit, or onboard credit. We have an $900 price drop and if they issue this as onboard credit I will be quite upset- it would be extremely difficult to spend that much onboard an expedition ship. It would essentially be wasting the money- nearly daily massages? Stuff I don't want from the gift shop? Or is it money that can be refunded at the end of the cruise? Anyone have any thoughts here about what usually happens?

In the last two years, we have had 3 refunds for  lower advertised price and the amount was taken off our cruise price. This happened before payment in full was done. The terms and conditions does give SS the latitude to give the refund in a future cruise credit, on board ship credits and a lowering of the current cruise. The golden rule in cruises is "They who own the ships make the rules". I hope this helps.

Not happened to us since a 2016 sailing, which saw a drop in price which we got a refund one month, then OBC as that was the offer promoted on the next month. Never seen that happen before or since.

I’d certainly not be interested in a FCC. OBC now excursions are included is not so good, particularly since the shops have dropped items we would have bought.

My missus always benefits with our OBC buying Swarovski jewellery. On the Moon last month, SS have dropped less expensive brands, so she selected a pair of earrings on display to be given a special price for us of $21,800

So no point in OBB now either.

Edited by les37b

8 hours ago, 5waldos said:

Ours is paid in full. I understand the gold rule but hope that SS doesn't take advantage of it. Giving us on board credit would be a real waste. So- I wait and have fingers crossed. 

It is my understanding, though I could be wrong, that once one has paid in full, price drops are not applicable.

• 4 weeks later...

are you booking directly with SS or via TA?  I feel like this has happened to us a few times and we sometimes get OBC or a room "upgrade" - but still within veranda category.  

• 2 months later...

We book with a TA. I noticed that our 2025 cruise on the Muse Singapore to Athens was in the recent combined cruise promotion and was significantly lower than the price we had booked. So I asked the TA to check with SS about whether this was covered by there Fare Quarantee program. She replied today and the final repayment has dropped by $A7000. Feeling good.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, drron29 said:

We book with a TA. I noticed that our 2025 cruise on the Muse Singapore to Athens was in the recent combined cruise promotion and was significantly lower than the price we had booked. So I asked the TA to check with SS about whether this was covered by there Fare Quarantee program. She replied today and the final repayment has dropped by $A7000. Feeling good.

NICE$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Our Auckland to Bali cruise would save us a whopping $200 and then give us the SBC, but the cost of BA would increase significantly from what we were offered, so it makes so sense to take advantage of the latest promo. On our fall cruise, SS would not budge since we were paid in full. We would have really benefited from that price decrease. Our TA said he tried on many fronts, and I do believe him. He did wonders with Regent on their price decreases and promos.

• Like 1