Colon, Panama from Miami: opportunity to visit the canal?

Elkins45

I’m considering a Divina cruise from Miami that goes to Colon, Panama and then on to Puerto Limon, Costa Rica. The MSC USA website has almost no detail on what’s available to do. For those of you who have done this cruise, is it possible to take an excursion to the canal? I would hate to be that close and not see, and preferable go through, the Panama Canal.

There were several excursions to visit the canal on my Divina cruise in October - A boat trip through the canal to Panama City with a bus return; a train trip along the canal with a bus return; a boat tour in the canal to see monkeys & sloths; etc.

If the ship docks in Colon.  We had been through the canal a few times with many excursions some was good and some was not too good.

Good - a ferry trip to Panama city with a bus return.

Not too good - a train trip along the canal with a bus return.  Along the train road grass was very tall blocking some of the the view of the canal.

We also went with a cruise critic on excursion to the 1st lock (Mira Flores) to watch how each ship go through a lock and after that touring around the Colon area.  This one was good enough if a person already saw a canal a few times.

Happy cruising.

We just did the Ferry ship turn 3 locks and into the pacific ocean with a bus ride back.  It was a great trip but be prepared because it is a long day.  Also, bring some snacks with you as the lunch provided was to me not good at all.  Dry pasta, cold over fried chicken tenders  GROSS