Would like opinion on NCL Wind versus NCL Pride of HI

quakerman

Hi, I am new to this group and we have a deposit on the NCL Wind for Oct. 2006. We just finished a Norwegian Sun cruise last week and we had to tender at all ports except one and this took tons of time as the ship was late several times. They cancelled the beach BBQ on their private Cay and the tenders there broke down causing delays getting back on shiip. I talked to the NCL people and they said the Norweian Wind also tenders at all ports except for one. It is a 11 day with Fanning Island. I heard the Norwegian Pride of HI is only a 7 day cruise but docks at all ports except for the one at Kone which they say is too "small" to dock and they have to tender there. Anyone know anything about the difference in these two cruises? I hate to waste a half day getting off the ship by tender as I did on the last trip with them, if I can dock at most ports by booking a different ship. I can still cancel and get out of the Wind sailing and change to the Pride of HI but it is also less time and more money. Any imput???

Quakerman

Well look at the itinerary side by side.

With the American flagged ships (like PoH) you spend every day in a port in Hawaii, including an overnight at Kauai and Maui. There are no sea days.

With the Wind, you spend 4 days at sea, with fanning island in the middle.

How do you feel about getting 2 sea days in a row, twice? Opinions vary a great deal, up to you. It is nice to have an occasional sea day to break up port visits.

Everyone has a different opinion on Fanning. Some think it is great, but I think it is a really lame destination, especially when contrasted with how great the Hawaii ports are. Common reaction: "We went a thousand miles from Hawaii for this??" I went to Fanning on the maiden voyage of the Star, the sailing was rough on the open ocean to get there.

Having a longer cruise on the Wind is nice -- I often wish my 7 day cruises were longer. Some say, who cares if Fanning Island isn't great, because it's just all the Hawaii you got with the American ships, plus the additive of fanning... Except that's not quite true. Even though the Wind itinerary is longer, you actually get two less days in Hawaii. That's a big deal, the American flagged ships have 40% more Hawaii days.

If time were limited, I would much rather lose the 4 sea days and fanning visit of the wind, instead taking a shorter 7 day American flagged cruise with the extra days put towards a land extension in Hawaii. I guess it is blasphemy to prefer a shorter cruise here. :)

With the American flagged ships, the overnight stays on Kauai and Maui are great. You can get more done, and not feel rushed, soak in a little better feel for the place. Once upon a time I thought it was ridiculous to stay overnight in a port, now I am a big fan of it.

The PoH is brand new, a much bigger ship, but the Wind has a small ship appeal of its own. I can't believe I ranted this long.

MikeKaye: No blasphemy as far as I'm concerned. DH and I wouldn't even consider the Wind because of the Fanning Island requirement. I want my Hawaii cruise to be Hawaii, and nothing else. And land days before and after are a must, IMO.

We aren't even considering one of the one-way mainland to Hawaii (or reverse) cruises now that the NCLA ships are in service. We're looking at PoH for the fall. I really hope we can find a good deal.

beachchick

What happened to you on the Sun is unusual. Normally tendering goes rather smooth. Yes, you may have to wait a few minutes to get on a tender or even longer is some cases, but they don't break down that often. That being said it depends on what you are looking for: me, I would take the POA and do a day or two land vacation on either side, but of course the Wind is less expensive. You have just come off a ship that was designed for freestyle dining, the Wind was not originally a freestyle ship: not as many dining choices. If I had a client ask me this question I would direct them to POA> NMNIta

I dreaded the tendering process for the wind before our Wind trip last year, but found it really didn't cut into our touring time as much as I expected it would. We were able to see and do as much as we wanted and planned with the tendering.

We docked twice though--in Hilo and in Kauai. Quite often there was another tender waiting at each end to replace the one we were on, so it went very quickly.

I enjoyed our relaxing cruise, and felt as though we got to see alot of Hawaii.

It seems to me that the trip to Fanning is the only reason to take either cruise. If you just want to see Hawaii, book a land package on an island or two and save all the on/off, time schedules, etc. Get a place on the beach and just enjoy yourself. The days at sea to/from Fanning almost have that opportunity for relaxation. And Fanning is a place almost no one else gets to experience.

So take the cruise on the Wind and enjoy it and don't worry about if it was built for Freestyle or not as it make no difference to you.

Archived