Lifeboat out to Aurora off the Isle of Wight for sick crew member

jeanlyon

• jeanlyon changed the title to Lifeboat out to Aurora off the Isle of Wight for sick crew member

Slightly off topic, but Aurora related, only been on this ship once, generally loved the ship but had issues with the cabin sound proofing, were we unlucky or are they all the same? Could hear drawers closing, TV and normal level conversations from both sides, have avoided it since.

1 minute ago, Hampshire Steve said:

Thank you, will have to consider again then. 2025 for us is likely to be one of the 18/19 night cruises to the Med on Arcadia or Aurora

Maybe you were just unlucky on that cruise. We, like Jean, have sailed on Aurora many times and haven't had a problem.

Avril

2 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Maybe you were just unlucky on that cruise. We, like Jean, have sailed on Aurora many times and haven't had a problem.

Avril

Can't remember the exact cabin, it was Port side balcony next to the two tier suite up the sharp end but it did put us off.

15 minutes ago, Hampshire Steve said:

Thank you, will have to consider again then. 2025 for us is likely to be one of the 18/19 night cruises to the Med on Arcadia or Aurora

Out of interest, what deck and what cabin were you in?>

1 hour ago, Hampshire Steve said:

Slightly off topic, but Aurora related, only been on this ship once, generally loved the ship but had issues with the cabin sound proofing, were we unlucky or are they all the same? Could hear drawers closing, TV and normal level conversations from both sides, have avoided it since.

It could be a comparison thing Steve. 

We had sailed on  Aurora a few times without issue, then went again shortly after being on Britannia and found it very noisy, although we soon got used to it, I think the Peroni helped... 😂

We wouldn't hesitate on going on Aurora again, but have to accept she is not as sound proofed as the more modern ships. 

Andy 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Hampshire Steve said:

I've only had that problem once, when I suspect that the people in the next cabin were hard of hearing and so had their TV volume turned up very high. But when I politely mentioned it to them, they turned it down and I didn't have a problem after that.

One noise problem, though, can be noise from the theatre, if you're in a cabin above it on one of the next couple of decks up. Not a problem with comedians or magicians, but it can be with musical acts and with the Headliners.

6 hours ago, Hampshire Steve said:

In all honesty, I have heard the things that you describe on virtually every P&O ship that we have been on. It’s possibly slightly worse on Aurora, but we have heard noise from adjacent cabins, or  cabins above us, on almost every cruise!

11 hours ago, jh1809 said:

One noise problem, though, can be noise from the theatre, if you're in a cabin above it on one of the next couple of decks up. Not a problem with comedians or magicians, but it can be with musical acts and with the Headliners.

We had this experience last week - we were in C101, so thought we would avoid the theatre noise two decks down, but could quite audibly hear the daytime rehearsals and then the shows later on.

We put it down to being adjacent to the white ‘void’ on the deck plans next to the cabin; which I’m pretty sure was a crew staircase - it possibly acted like a chimney, carrying sounds upwards. I wouldn’t normally expect to hear theatre noise of that level two decks up.

It didn’t affect our enjoyment of the cruise at all; in fact, we had great fun playing ‘what Motown hit is that?’ during the rehearsals for the Lavelles, who were excellent. But I can imagine light sleepers might enjoy it less.

1 hour ago, Jonem2001 said:

We had this experience last week - we were in C101, so thought we would avoid the theatre noise two decks down, but could quite audibly hear the daytime rehearsals and then the shows later on.

We put it down to being adjacent to the white ‘void’ on the deck plans next to the cabin; which I’m pretty sure was a crew staircase - it possibly acted like a chimney, carrying sounds upwards. I wouldn’t normally expect to hear theatre noise of that level two decks up.

It didn’t affect our enjoyment of the cruise at all; in fact, we had great fun playing ‘what Motown hit is that?’ during the rehearsals for the Lavelles, who were excellent. But I can imagine light sleepers might enjoy it less.

We had the same issue with an aft suite on Britannia. We were 2 decks above the Live Lounge, so thought we’d be OK, but we could hear every song clearly. It was worse with live music, but still noticeable with recorded music. I think that there might have been some sort of void, or vent, between our cabin and the next one which allowed the noise to travel up, something that’s not always obvious from deck plans. 

18 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

OK, so we are nearly always on D Deck forward/mid inside cabin.

Jean, we have a cabin in that area in a few weeks - do you get much noise from the theatre (after the 10.30 performance?)