Vancouver to Alaska

808cruisers

5 minutes ago, 808cruisers said:

Do I need to carry US passport with me to all of the stops? When can I lock it up and forget about it? 

Lock it up  as soon as you get on board.  The only time  you  might need it is if you take an excursion that goes into Canada.

• Thanks 1

Call us paranoid...we carry ours any time we get off the ship...regardless of the port.  That way we "get into the habit" of doing so in foreign ports.  I know it may seem ridiculous...but that's one thing we just will not have to worry about should that crazy situation crop up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Call us paranoid...we carry ours any time we get off the ship...regardless of the port.  That way we "get into the habit" of doing so in foreign ports.  I know it may seem ridiculous...but that's one thing we just will not have to worry about should that crazy situation crop up.

You're paranoid!

Seriously, not paranoid, but slightly over-cautious. I would never really criticize someone for making themselves feel secure.

If you did get delayed on land, the crew will most likely get your luggage (and passports) from your cabin if something happens and you can't continue on board. If it's a US port, there's no need to take it as long as you have ID with you.

Edited by Guindalf

We would never carry our passport ( except when required as in Alaska to the Yukon)..We have laminated copies of our passports and carry them. American passports are worth a lot of money in some places.

• Like 1

On 4/10/2023 at 9:45 AM, 808cruisers said:

Do I need to carry US passport with me to all of the stops? When can I lock it up and forget about it? 

You don't need to carry your passport with you unless you do an excursion in Skagway, that takes you into canada. The Yukon Train for example. You'll still have to take it with you in case something happens and you need to get home. 

On 4/10/2023 at 8:45 AM, 808cruisers said:

As others have stated, on an Alaskan cruise, you'll only need it if you take the Skagway to Whitehorse train excursion (book off the ship, it will be much cheaper.)  US CBP will want to see the passport when you cross back into the U.S.  You won't need the passport when the ship ports for the PVSA port, as the ship will transmit all that information to CBSA prior to docking.  The next time you'll need it is after you disembark and go back into the U.S.  If you're flying out of YVR, US CBP will be at the airport, your flight will be treated as a domestic flight when it arrives at your destination.

21 hours ago, eclue said:

We would never carry our passport ( except when required as in Alaska to the Yukon)..We have laminated copies of our passports and carry them. American passports are worth a lot of money in some places.

A criminal can also sell passport data on the Dark Web from a copy.  

We do take our passports ashore with us as a habit. We leave the ship with the ability to get home from that port in an emergency - wide open credit card and passport. Flights, rental cars, whatever it takes. I know, extremely cautious, but that is our habit after several decades of cruising. They are stored in PakSafe pouches worn under clothing very close to the body.