Highly recommend Lawrence

susi_q

We just returned from our cruise and had the pleasure of taking an island tour with Lawrence of Antigua. We received a lovely island tour with Lawrence providing information about the island and its people. We requested a snorkel beach to end the tour ... he took us to Long Bay Beach and waited there for us  ...  the best snorkeling!! A great reef with food truck and shops on the beach. He has a nice van with room for 12, good air conditioning  and he provides drinks during the  ride. You wont be sorry lawrenceofantigua@gmail.com

• Like 3

6 hours ago, sh1955 said:

Which tour did you select? And how much did it cost?

Lawrence doesn’t have any prices listed on his webpage.

Thanks!

He tailored it to what we wanted (skipped rain forest to see the devils bridge and get more time on beach)… at the time we went it was $50/pp (would have been less if we didn’t want the beach time)…. He was pretty responsive to email … here was the listing of the tour that we used as a starting place to decide what was important to us … http://www.lawrenceofantigua.com/islandtour.php 

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for this review.  We are thinking of booking a tour with Lawrence.  It sounds like his tours are quite popular.  How long in advance should I book?  Do you prepay or pay on the day of the tour?  

6 hours ago, Bkmat said:

Thanks for this review.  We are thinking of booking a tour with Lawrence.  It sounds like his tours are quite popular.  How long in advance should I book?  Do you prepay or pay on the day of the tour?  

He was very responsive by email … I reserved about 6 weeks in advance. We paid at the completion of the trip. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just be careful and clarify everything you expect with Lawrence. In January asked for a private tour since my parents are older and my father has a hearing disability. I explained before booking what I was looking for. Lawrence agreed that we would be private and I also covered my expectations as to our stops for the day. When we arrived at the tour meeting spot there were four others waiting for his tour. I indicated that our tour was to be private and Lawrence said he’d sit my father in the front so he could hear? I indicated we were to be private and my dad did as well but Lawrence kept insisting it would be the best tour we’d ever been on.  No further explanation. We also were told we were waiting for additional participants in the tour. After fifteen minutes went by without anyone showing up, we left. After we started the tour, Lawrence got a call and we had to head back toward the port to meet with another  driver who had more people who booked with Lawrence. He apologized to them as he had given them the wrong meeting spot.  So our private tour ended up not so private. The other people on the tour were very nice but this was not the trip we booked or expected to have. Our time was not our own and we did not do what we wanted. Yes, Lawrence is a nice gentleman and has a lovely demeanor. Just my experience. 

• Thanks 3

• 3 months later...
On 5/15/2023 at 6:38 PM, cruisenshop said:

Just be careful and clarify everything you expect with Lawrence. In January asked for a private tour since my parents are older and my father has a hearing disability. I explained before booking what I was looking for. Lawrence agreed that we would be private and I also covered my expectations as to our stops for the day. When we arrived at the tour meeting spot there were four others waiting for his tour. I indicated that our tour was to be private and Lawrence said he’d sit my father in the front so he could hear? I indicated we were to be private and my dad did as well but Lawrence kept insisting it would be the best tour we’d ever been on.  No further explanation. We also were told we were waiting for additional participants in the tour. After fifteen minutes went by without anyone showing up, we left. After we started the tour, Lawrence got a call and we had to head back toward the port to meet with another  driver who had more people who booked with Lawrence. He apologized to them as he had given them the wrong meeting spot.  So our private tour ended up not so private. The other people on the tour were very nice but this was not the trip we booked or expected to have. Our time was not our own and we did not do what we wanted. Yes, Lawrence is a nice gentleman and has a lovely demeanor. Just my experience. 

Thankyou for this info. It made me change my mind about hiring him. I hate it when we have a private tour booked and then a bunch of strangers get thrown in. He just lost my business.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, phantomII said:

Thankyou for this info. It made me change my mind about hiring him. I hate it when we have a private tour booked and then a bunch of strangers get thrown in. He just lost my business.

Personally, if I book a private tour I usually ask how many his van holds and via cruise critic I try to get more people.  If we don’t get enough if he adds others in that is fine.  Great way to meet new people.  These tour guides have had a rough couple of years, if they can fill the van and make more money then that is fine.  We are booking him for our next cruise.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Perky1 said:

Personally, if I book a private tour I usually ask how many his van holds and via cruise critic I try to get more people.  If we don’t get enough if he adds others in that is fine.  Great way to meet new people.  These tour guides have had a rough couple of years, if they can fill the van and make more money then that is fine.  We are booking him for our next cruise.

good for you. We are a party of 6 and if we contract in advance for a private tour that is what we expect. This has happened to us several times and we did not like it.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/18/2023 at 8:51 AM, phantomII said:

good for you. We are a party of 6 and if we contract in advance for a private tour that is what we expect. This has happened to us several times and we did not like it.

Agree! Because what happens when all the strangers can't agree on the stops. No thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/15/2023 at 7:38 PM, cruisenshop said:

They'll be just fine and dandy with Lawrence. If I were you next time on the island book anything but Lawrence he'll fine and dandy too. 

On 8/18/2023 at 9:42 AM, Perky1 said:

Your in for a very pleasant day. I've been with Lawrence twice it's a great laid back tour. We had a blast both times and so will you.