Docking, Berth, Port Location for New York City

I am travelling on the Marella Discovery (American Dream Itinerary) this summer and have seen a few recent posts on FB groups where folk are going all in on the assumption that the MD will be arriving at the Manhatten Cruise Terminal which is a fantastic location for Central Manhattan. 

The reason for asking this question is because I am seeing information from earlier this year on port schedules and writes ups indicating that Marella will be using the more remote Port Liberty Cruise Terminal across the water in New Jersey and that would mean booked excursions are a must rather than a DIY approach if more centrally located at the MCT.

Other than waiting until the first sailings next month and awaiting trip reports is there any information available to give a more definitive steer on what is the likely arrival point to assist with excursion booking and planning?

(The map below highlights the MCT and PLCT locations)

NYCT.jpg

Thanks for the prompt response @Leomins and @Scotstravellers that is encouraging to see those links however the person who mentioned this to me this morning has sent me the link to the July schedule on the Cruise Mapper website for Cape Liberty Cruise Terminal.

Based on our three reports the score so far is Manhattan 2 Cape Liberty 1

https://www.cruisemapper.com/ports/new-york-port-98?tab=schedule&month=2023-07#schedule

Port Liberty.JPG

1 hour ago, NoEspanaThisYear said:

Thanks for the prompt response @Leomins and @Scotstravellers that is encouraging to see those links however the person who mentioned this to me this morning has sent me the link to the July schedule on the Cruise Mapper website for Cape Liberty Cruise Terminal.

Based on our three reports the score so far is Manhattan 2 Cape Liberty 1

https://www.cruisemapper.com/ports/new-york-port-98?tab=schedule&month=2023-07#schedule

Port Liberty.JPG

The Marella Discovery isn't on the schedule on the official Cape Liberty website,  Cruise Info (cruiseliberty.com). However it is on the official NYCruise.com website with all calls listed as being at the Manhattan Terminal except the 20/21 Sept call which is scheduled at the Brooklyn Terminal.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, rolloman said:

Pretty simple I would think...What does your itinerary say? If it says NY...you are scheduled for NY if it says NJ then you are scheduled for NJ.

The itinerary lists destinations (New York City) not docking, berth and port locations.

It was information received from others that prompted me to ask for feedback on whether we could make the safe assumption that is was definitely the MCT in NY and not CLCT in NJ as some website references have suggested. 

With NYC trip planning underway this was an important point to seek clarification on.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,    I have just looked  on cruise mapper and it has Marella Discovery docked at  Cape Liberty Cruise Terminal all summer. SO we are planning to do a Ship tour of New York in September because google maps has the directions from  the port to  Central Park in Manhattan as 13.8 miles. The only good thing is we should have a good view of The Statue Of Liberty as we sail in  and out.   hope this helps.

I had checked previously on the Manhattan cruise terminal website and marella are scheduled to dock there (except for one that uses brooklyn).

I have just looked at cruise mapper, and it lists both Manhattan & Liberty sites in one lump. The picture used is Manhattan terminal, you can see intrepid on the image which is next to the dock. If you read the port info, RCI use liberty, most others use Manhattan, and Tui is listed as using manhattan. 

We are on Discovery on 18th June, we dock at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal 28th June over night. There are only a few dates in the calendar where the ship doesn,t dock at Manhattan.

• 1 month later...
On 4/24/2023 at 9:00 PM, Max011 said:

We are on Discovery on 18th June, we dock at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal 28th June over night. There are only a few dates in the calendar where the ship doesn,t dock at Manhattan.

Hiya!  I am looking at Cruisemapper and they give the dock as 'NYC...... Bayonne NJ'.  https://www.cruisemapper.com/ships/Marella-Discovery-712?tab=itinerary#itinerary

HOWEVER!!!  Looking at Manhattan Cruise terminal website I find that Discovery is scheduled to be there as well on 28/29th June! 🙂 https://nycruise.com/manhattan-terminal/schedule-mct/

Edited by Coalman
new info

14 minutes ago, Coalman said:

Hiya!  I am looking at Cruisemapper and they give the dock as 'NYC...... Bayonne NJ'.  https://www.cruisemapper.com/ships/Marella-Discovery-712?tab=itinerary#itinerary

HOWEVER!!!  Looking at Manhattan Cruise terminal website I find that Discovery is scheduled to be there as well on 28/29th June! 🙂 https://nycruise.com/manhattan-terminal/schedule-mct/

Cruise companies generally say their ships are calling at New York and don't differentiate between the 3 terminals in New York Harbour. Therefore sites like Cruisemapper etc. just group the calls similarly which can cause confusion! 

I would use  would go with the NY Cruise website, as that is the website of the city government organisation responsible for the Manhattan and Brooklyn Cruise Terminals in New York or Cruise Info (cruiseliberty.com) for Cape Liberty/Bayonne Terminal in New Jersey.

• Like 1