Wheelchairs/scooters use on ship

bobolz

Ella.  Do not worry about this.  I did three cruises last  year on Spirit using a rollator with no problems.  Crew brilliant.  On the gangplank one crew member assisted me whilst another carried rollator up and down.  No problem with the same arrangement on the tenders and I did an excursion at most lports provided there was an excursion that fitted my walking abilities with said scooter.   At only two ports in four weeks of cruising. did I feel there was nowhere in my walking capacity.

Silversea are also good in that unlike most cruiselines where you gather in the theatre and all set off to the coaches together you meet at the coach so you can allow an extra five minutes to get there more slowly

Enjoy your cruise

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

On the current cruise sector there once again quite a few guests in wheelchairs. One is left out in the corridor but folded up and not in the way.

One gentleman has his own mobility scooter with him and is still able to go ashore at tender ports. The crew lift his scooter on to the tender and then help him get to a seat on the entry level of the tender. The reverse when leaving the tender.

Once again all embarking/disembarking is being done from Deck 3.

• 2 months later...

I recently broke my ankle and probably cannot put weight on it for my Japan cruise on Muse end September, I hate to cancel, I rented a lightweight folding wheelchair at home, and plan to get a knee scooter soon, what are my best options to stay on this cruise? I am fine renting any gear and also changing all excursions to a private car , I have a silver suite, but not accessible, thanks for any advice, I never broke anything before, and this will be first trip needing assistance, except home from Iceland where I slipped hiking 

I am a full time wheelchair user. If you can hop over a lip into the shower you should be ok in a standard silver suite. You can request a chair for the shower so you can sit instead of stand on one foot. Can you use crotches for hobbling around in the bathroom and stateroom and the knee scooter for the ship and tours? Also consult your orthopedist about options and or a PT.  

I went on three cruises on SS last year and no difficulties at all with a foldable rollator getting on or off the ship or going on excursions.  I have one that fold inwards which is great so I can easily get between tables and also through cabin doors easily without risking damage.   Coaches or taxis are no problem and go easily into the luggage areas.  On excursions whenever the guide stops to speak I can sit down on its seat and have a rest.

I personally have not seen scooters or wheelchairs parked in corridors on SS and the thought horrifies me and with the rollator I used to have I would not have got past.  I think passengers must have an accessible cabin and book early.

I did, a post earlier on this thread and said we were going on a short cruise on Saga and trying my scooter.   Never again.  I couldn’t get off the ship easily, they were banned on tenders and unsuitable for coaches and shuttle buses.  In America some buses have little ramps but never seen this in UK or Europe.  I felt really trapped and now realise whilst good for long country walks my rollator is much more practical on holiday

Though in April this year on the Moon a fellow had his own scooter and was able to take it on the tenders, use the tour busses with scooter in luggage compartment underneath and never left his scooter in the hallway on deck 9.

The only problem he had was at Rome airport where at check in they hadn't done the necessary paperwork meaning everyone was stuck in the airbridge for ~ 30 minutes. We were on the same flight. Wasn't his fault.

On 4/12/2023 at 3:35 PM, broker1217 said:

I was just on the Moon and there were many, many scooters, wheelchairs and walkers in the hallways. Electric wheelchairs and scooters were plugged into hallway outlets to recharge.

Same on the Dawn in March, not a problem.