Over the door thingy!

Pattiepat

In '05 I was on the Golden in a balcony cabin and there was plenty of toiletry space in the wash room. People who use this thing, shoe bag, usually bring way too many shoes & things so they came up with this idea to be more organized. I actually brought an over the door toiletry kit for this cruise and found it to be a pain in the butt with it swinging wildly everytime you opened the door. We're not bringing it again.

We didn't use ours for toiletries, but for sunscreen; aloe; digital camera charger; post it's, pens and highlighters; and other things that we both used and were likely to be misplaced. It saved lots of searching that went on on previous cruises.

We don't use it for shoes and hang it over a closet door, not in the bathroom. We put our toothpaste, shampoo etc, in the bathroom and everthing else in it. That way while he is in the bathroom I can get to my makeup etc. to start getting ready. Also, it saves so much time looking for stuff. In a new place I can never remember which drawer holds which stuff. This way when I want sunscreen, or aloe or a hair clip it is in the over the door thing and visable. When my husband wants his extra razor blades he doesn't have to ask. Easier to pack at the end too.

We uesed it on our cruise but we 4 to the room so this freed up the space around sink to use with mutiple persons in a room.Had 2 actually 1 in closet for sun tan lotion 1st aid kit sewing kit needs that did not have to be in bathroom:D no waiting

We uesed it on our cruise but we 4 to the room so this freed up the space around sink to use with mutiple persons in a room.Had 2 actually 1 in closet for sun tan lotion 1st aid kit sewing kit needs that did not have to be in bathroom:D no waiting

We took ours only once and found we didn't need it at all, but I agree that if you have more than 2 people in the cabin it's a good idea to take one, there is always lots of room in the bathroom otherwise.

I've never used it in the bathroom, you're right, there is plenty of space on the counter and usually a small shelf for toiletries. When we just have the two of us, I find we don't use it, but when there are 4 of us, it is indespensable.

The one we have is clear plastic, so we can easily see the contents. We use it for: sunglasses, sunscreen, sail and sign cards, hair brushes, visors, receipts, loose papers, flip flops, the kids MP3's and anything else that could easily become lost and to keep the counter tops cleared off. It's a great organization tool and keeps the whole cabin neater.

We also bring along an accordion type shoe hanger (it looks like shelves)for the closet for....shoes, plus purses and belts. We like to be well organized and neat, it just makes the time a lot more pleasant if you're not searching and getting frustrated in such a small space.

These items are almost weightless, fold as flat as a single T-shirt and fit right into the bottom of the suitcase, actually making the suitcase flatter (wheels). We try to pack as light as possible and don't take along many of the items you typically see on packing lists (post it notes, highlighter pens, duct tape, electric cords, alarm clocks, nightlights, coffee makers, extra cups and so many other unnecessary items). But the shoe hanger has made many a vacation (including land trips) more pleasant for our family.

Kathi,

Do you use the one with the shoe pockets or another type?

We do bring post-its, pens, etc and our receipts and things tend to make a mess on the desk making it harder to get out the door in the morning.

Thanks,

Jane

I've never used it in the bathroom, you're right, there is plenty of space on the counter and usually a small shelf for toiletries. When we just have the two of us, I find we don't use it, but when there are 4 of us, it is indespensable.

The one we have is clear plastic, so we can easily see the contents. We use it for: sunglasses, sunscreen, sail and sign cards, hair brushes, visors, receipts, loose papers, flip flops, the kids MP3's and anything else that could easily become lost and to keep the counter tops cleared off. It's a great organization tool and keeps the whole cabin neater.

We also bring along an accordion type shoe hanger (it looks like shelves)for the closet for....shoes, plus purses and belts. We like to be well organized and neat, it just makes the time a lot more pleasant if you're not searching and getting frustrated in such a small space.

These items are almost weightless, fold as flat as a single T-shirt and fit right into the bottom of the suitcase, actually making the suitcase flatter (wheels).

I don't need to write my reasons why, you did a very good job of saying what I wanted to say! So I say, "Ditto!"

I hope cruisinbuddy sees this thread and maybe thinks twice before he/she again generalizes about people bringing too many shoes. I've never put a pr. of shoes in these organizers. As the OP can see, there are many uses for these over-door organizers besides shoes. To each his own.

After reading about it on these boards, I bought one to take on a cruise. Never could figure out what to use the darn thing for, so donated it to Goodwill when we got home.

Maybe we just don't mind using the desk for small items.

In '05 I was on the Golden in a balcony cabin and there was plenty of toiletry space in the wash room. People who use this thing, shoe bag, usually bring way too many shoes & things so they came up with this idea to be more organized. I actually brought an over the door toiletry kit for this cruise and found it to be a pain in the butt with it swinging wildly everytime you opened the door. We're not bringing it again.
We're not over-packers, but we have four people in a cabin, and it adds up to a lot of stuff!

We don't use ours so much for the bathroom toiletries; rather, we use ours for the little around-the-room things that otherwise wouldn't have a "home': extra batteries and the recharger, note pads and pens, watches, gold dollars for room service tips, suntan lotion, camera equipment . . . it adds up when you have four people.

To prevent flopping, be sure to buy the kind with TWO clips at the top. I first bought one from the dollar store that was kind of like a hanger -- once I realized what I'd bought, I thew it away. It wouldn't have "stood up" and would have been useless. It also wouldn't have worked unless I had a hook on the door. The one I bought at Walmart, however, has two hooks that go OVER the door -- it'll work on any door.

Kathi,

Do you use the one with the shoe pockets or another type?

We do bring post-its, pens, etc and our receipts and things tend to make a mess on the desk making it harder to get out the door in the morning.

Thanks,

Jane

Clear shoe pockets.

Andee, if only it were that simple!:)

I pesonally like clear cosmetics bags in different sizes.

I use them for the following:

--Makeup

--Toiletries (mouthwash, toothbrushes and paste, nail file/clippers/scissor, razors/shave cream, cologne)

--Medic bag (neosporin, band aids, etc., stain remover wipes, clorox pen)

--Suntan lotion, aloe, lip balm, bug spray (if needed)

--Hair products/hair brushes

--Misc items (post-it notes, pen/highlighter, duct tape, clothespins)

--Bring an extra small one and put singles (room service tips) and to keep all receipts.

I just put these clear bags in the drawers. I put was we use everyday in the bathroom shelves or the desk shelves.

I used to bring nail polish and remover, but now I just have my nails repolished on the ship.

I keep all of these packed all year, except for the makeup.

This works pretty good for me. But if you have more than 2 in a cabin, I could see how the shoe bag could work.

Can anyone tell me why they need the "over the door thingy" to put tolieties in? We have an OV cabin on the Grand.....is there no room around the sink to put anything on?

Hi Pattiepat,

The over the door shoe bag/organizer was very helpful. We tried it for the first time last year and loved it. I don't use it for shoes, but it is great for everything else. Deordorants, perfume, combs, highlighters, etc. Believe me, we ended up filling every pocket in it. It makes the bathroom area seem less congested.

Archived