Bridge teaching on Ocean

djfrank

We were on British Isles last summer, and do not recall any mention of Bridge in the dailies.  This said I assumed that instruction and play depends on the itinerary.   BIE is 15 days with 14 ports, so we found little time for activities on the ship.

Bridge instructors tend to be on ships with many sea days.  So if you have a port intensive cruise, you won’t find this offered.  We have found them on trans Atlantics, South America and the WC.  Some have been better than others.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mich3554 said:

Some have been better than others.

Some have just read what they have on their powerpoint screen -- and have no real understanding of what they are trying to teach.  Viking uses SixStar, which will basically put onboard almost anyone who will pay their agent fees.

1 minute ago, FlyerTalker said:

Some have just read what they have on their powerpoint screen -- and have no real understanding of what they are trying to teach.  Viking uses SixStar, which will basically put onboard almost anyone who will pay their agent fees.

I have not found this.  What I meant is some know their game, but have not been particularly good teachers.  I have taken bridge lessons on 5 cruises with as many different instructors, and I don’t remember any just reading pp presentations.  However, they have all been good bridge players.  Being good at something doesn’t necessarily mean you can teach it.  
The WC has an excellent instructor, but we chose not to play bridge as it takes up time from a lot of the lectures we want to go to.  We did several of her classes before we realized we didn’t want to make the time commitment on this cruise.

I thought our bridge instructor on the southern Atlantic Crossing was very good and certainly did not read from any pp presentations.  There was a large span of sea days and two rooms were full with bridge players, one with the more experienced playing duplicate and the other room taking instruction.  Everyone enjoyed and we even had a small party in the Wintergarden at the end of the cruise for the bridge attendees and the instructor and his wife.