12 hours in Split

We will be in Split from 9AM to 9 PM next month.  I definitely want to visit Diocletian's Palace.  I'm also interested in Krka National Park.  The cruiseline offers a 5 hour excursion to Krka which leaves at either 10AM or 2PM.  I believe we have plenty of time to do both the palace and Krka.  I'm wondering if it makes more sense to do the palace in the morning and take the 2PM excursion to Krka. Or, go to Krka at 10 AM and then go to the palace when we return.  Also, I was looking for hours for the palace and it appears to be open 24 hours.  Are there parts (eg the cellar) that are not open 24 hours? If there are museums that we should see that will close at 5, then I would opt for the 2PM excursion.   I'm open to suggestions if there are other things we should be doing in Split.  

I seem to recall the basement had certain hours - don’t recall exactly but along the normal 9-5 type schedule. The temple of Apollo and the church (formerly emperor’s mausoleum) likewise have regular hours. They are both Roman era buildings and are part of the original palace complex.

For me, I’m more interested in the palace portion so I’d do that first. It can get crowded mid morning if several ships are in port.

I’ve been to Split twice and loved it. The second time I took a bus to visit the nearby ruins of Salona.

Edited by cruisemom42

9 hours ago, aimee0715 said:

We will be in Split from 9AM to 9 PM next month.  I definitely want to visit Diocletian's Palace.  I'm also interested in Krka National Park.  The cruiseline offers a 5 hour excursion to Krka which leaves at either 10AM or 2PM.  I believe we have plenty of time to do both the palace and Krka.  I'm wondering if it makes more sense to do the palace in the morning and take the 2PM excursion to Krka. Or, go to Krka at 10 AM and then go to the palace when we return.  Also, I was looking for hours for the palace and it appears to be open 24 hours.  Are there parts (eg the cellar) that are not open 24 hours? If there are museums that we should see that will close at 5, then I would opt for the 2PM excursion.   I'm open to suggestions if there are other things we should be doing in Split.  

We love the Krka waterfalls. We did a longer tour which included a boat ride and lunch. I would go there first, then you can do palace and walk around the area.

14 hours ago, paulainfo2cruise said:

Please let me know how you liked Spilt and what you did. Waht other stops are you making?

Thanks, Paula

We will also be stopping in Dubrovnik, Kotor, and Corfu. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 5/16/2023 at 11:10 AM, msp678 said:

Great one-day itinerary in Split. 

@msp678 - thanks VERY MUCH for posting. I am going to look for other similar videos for all the stops on the itineraries I am considering to help me choose which cruise I wish to try next. 🙂