Cabin Door Decor

pjc49

We were on NCL Gem Med cruise last August.  We put very discreet door names up.  Took a picture.  Came back 1/2 hour later and both cabins door names were gone....  The cruise line said discreet was OK.  The stewards say someone else took, with our last names on them???  Has anyone else had this problem?

I just asked this question the other day and got the same mixed responses. Decided to call and ask myself and was told decorating doors was allowed, I asked are you sure and they repeated yes.

The other cruise lines I have sailed on have had a LOT of doors decorated, many very creative and appealing. Wondering why it would be banned on NCL but not other lines?

This topic was recently hotly debated on the HAL board.

Many yays and nays on whether or not people found door decorations annoying or loved them.

I have decorated on Royal, Celebrity and Holland and never had a problem.

Usually  just a few window clings so friends can find my door,  but I  have been a little more ambitious during the Christmas holidays!

Going on the NCL Joy this summer and wonder if it will be allowed.

1 hour ago, Ellipooh said:

I’m not clear on the safety risk?

fire hazard. most door decorations are made with highly flammable materials. it's not so much that the decorations would start a fire as they would quickly spread it should a fire exist. judging by the photo in post #10, it's also possible that more elaborate decorations could cause tripping hazards in case of an evacuation, during which every second counts.

independent of safety risk, cabin stewards have to take time to remove decorations and tape and adhesive residue, which takes precious time on turn around days in port, when every second counts.

1 hour ago, LatinaInTexas said:

The other cruise lines I have sailed on have had a LOT of doors decorated, many very creative and appealing.

and there were probably many that were not. and who is the arbiter of what is appealing and tasteful? one man's glorious and treasured decorations are another man's eyesore. and no passenger has the right to "decorate" a public space.

45 minutes ago, trivia addict said:

Usually  just a few window clings so friends can find my door...

if i'm in cabin 10203, i tell friends it's between 10202 and 10204.

nobody has ever had difficulty finding my cabin because my cabin number is clearly visible outside the door, unobstructed by window clings, crêpe paper streamers and balloons.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, UKstages said:

fire hazard. most door decorations are made with highly flammable materials. it's not so much that the decorations would start a fire as they would quickly spread it should a fire exist. judging by the photo in post #10, it's also possible that more elaborate decorations could cause tripping hazards in case of an evacuation, during which every second counts.

independent of safety risk, cabin stewards have to take time to remove decorations and tape and adhesive residue, which takes precious time on turn around days in port, when every second counts.

and there were probably many that were not. and who is the arbiter of what is appealing and tasteful? one man's glorious and treasured decorations are another man's eyesore. and no passenger has the right to "decorate" a public space.

nobody has ever had difficulty finding my cabin because my cabin number is clearly visible outside the door, unobstructed by window clings, crêpe paper streamers and balloons.

Over on the Carnival boards there has been the debate of why coffee makers aren't allowed on Carnival ships but are allowed on NCL ships. Safety is the main reason stated but just like this topic how can it be safe and allowed on various ships and not on others. Aren't all ships built similar enough that fire hazards would be a concern across the board and not dependent upon which cruise line you are sailing on?

4 minutes ago, LatinaInTexas said:

Aren't all ships built similar enough that fire hazards would be a concern across the board and not dependent upon which cruise line you are sailing on?

Different cruise lines accept different levels of risk. On some lines, smoking on the balcony is allowed. On most lines, it isn't.

If people try to play the "...this line allows *** so why don't other lines allow ***..." game, nothing will change. Each line can ban certain things for a multitude of reasons. We (the guests) can either abide or cruise elsewhere.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, LatinaInTexas said:

Over on the Carnival boards there has been the debate of why coffee makers aren't allowed on Carnival ships but are allowed on NCL ships.

i'm sure this point has probably been made in the carnival forum, but there is tremendous cost savings to removing coffee machines and all associated paraphernalia. after all, coffee is available in many other places and even from room service. so, the theory goes, why do we (carnival) need it in the room when we make it available to our valued guests elsewhere?

door decorations are in a whole different category. the cruise line doesn't save any money by banning them. they do pose a risk. but a lot of people seem to like them (until somebody hangs up something they find offensive). and, also, a hell of a lot of people don't like them.

coffee makers are definite fire hazards. so are irons and hair dryers supplied by the cruise line and cheap usb charging stations that people bring on board, along (apparently) with their battery operated fans. risk assessors and insurance agents weigh in and then somebody yon high makes a determination and a policy is born.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, UKstages said:

Thanks! Why didn’t I ever think of that?

9 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Different cruise lines accept different levels of risk. On some lines, smoking on the balcony is allowed. On most lines, it isn't.

If people try to play the "...this line allows *** so why don't other lines allow ***..." game, nothing will change. Each line can ban certain things for a multitude of reasons. We (the guests) can either abide or cruise elsewhere.

Agreed, I'm not a rule breaker by nature but I do like the rules that I'm expected to follow to make logical/ perfect sense. But of course I won't be holding my breath😁

I guess I didn't know it was against the rules, but on the other hand I never wanted to decorate my door!

But on our last cruise on the Escape in March we were traveling with a new couple and she decorated everyone's cabin door and they were never taken down, and I must say it came in handy a few times when I thought I was lost and low and behold I wasn't as there was my tacky decorated door right there!

I did see lots of other decorations on several decks, which lasted the entire cruise

• Like 1
  • Haha 1