Sure ain’t no dress code!

roupa

Dress code discussions have run the gamut, so here’s my input:

On Enchantment now.  If anyone is worried about a dress code… it seems there is nothing to stress over! We dress “smart casual “ for the MDR each night… as we would for any restaurant at home.  Never go the formal route. Our choice. The food has been surprisingly good and doesn’t change for me regardless of what others are wearing.  And I don’t judge what others are wearing. Friendly smiles, good manners, and respect to staff is what counts!

But for those of you worried about the dress code….don’t stress!  Obviously the days of strict codes are gone. This week we have seen dinner guests in shorts and Ts, jeans and plaids, sparkle and suits, khakis and polos, shoes, sanders, flip flops… 

Just be courteous and crew will respond accordingly!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, roupa said:

Dress code discussions have run the gamut, so here’s my input:

On Enchantment now.  If anyone is worried about a dress code… it seems there is nothing to stress over! We dress “smart casual “ for the MDR each night… as we would for any restaurant at home.  Never go the formal route. Our choice. The food has been surprisingly good and doesn’t change for me regardless of what others are wearing.  And I don’t judge what others are wearing. Friendly smiles, good manners, and respect to staff is what counts!

But for those of you worried about the dress code….don’t stress!  Obviously the days of strict codes are gone. This week we have seen dinner guests in shorts and Ts, jeans and plaids, sparkle and suits, khakis and polos, shoes, sanders, flip flops… 

Just be courteous and crew will respond accordingly!

As it should be!

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, BobNoxious said:

MDR is anything but swimwear.   However, 150 Central Park requires men to wear pants.... TRUST ME.  🙂

I never go anywhere in public without pants on!

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

I think formal is a reach, but nicer clothes for special nights are fine.

For casual nights causal pants/not torn jeans/skirts/sundresses etc are fine.

Shorts? Well... do people wear shorts in local restaurants with tablecloths? I do not think so. So we do not wear shorts when attend ships' restaurants in the evening.

Edited by Tatka
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Tatka said:

Shorts? Well... do people wear shorts in local restaurants with tablecloths? I do not think so. So we do not wear shorts when attend ships' restaurants in the evening.

My local Chinese buffet has white tablecloths and I wear shorts and a T-shirt there every time. Okay, that was mostly tongue-in-cheek, but true.  Now their tablecloths are covered by a piece of Plexiglass. 

But, more on point:  The ONLY reason I don't wear shorts into the MDR, which we very rarely frequent, is because my wife asks me not to.  I'd be very comfortable wearing shorts into the MDR, otherwise, and I wouldn't be alone.  

4 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

There is a dress code: no nudists allowed in the MDR*

*Unless you're on one of those Bliss cruises.

And don't forget to take your pineapple with you when you are there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

My local Chinese buffet has white tablecloths and I wear shorts and a T-shirt there every time. Okay, that was mostly tongue-in-cheek, but true.  Now their tablecloths are covered by a piece of Plexiglass. 

But, more on point:  The ONLY reason I don't wear shorts into the MDR, which we very rarely frequent, is because my wife asks me not to.  I'd be very comfortable wearing shorts into the MDR, otherwise, and I wouldn't be alone.  

I agree with your wife. 🙂

My husband does not wear shirts because he thinks even black jeans or casual pants are more appropriate for such restaurants. I agree with him. Not too difficult to wear them.

Of course on Queen Mary 2 ... we followed their dress code which required at least a sport coat every day for men.

Edited by Tatka

1 minute ago, Tatka said:

I agree with your wife. 🙂

My husband does not wear shirts because he thinks even black jeans or casual pants are more appropriate for such restaurants. I agree with him. Not too difficult to wear them.

And that's fine for him and you, not for me.  I'm not trying to change anybody's mind.  Just stating what I prefer and my options.  

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Tatka said:

In South Carolina frequently.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ATG said:

Your opinion, not mine.

It is not really an opinion, but global standards.

Whether they are adhered or not is another thing. 

Although I have not visited such restaurants in Carolina. Maybe they are very casual with tablecloths. I am talking about restaurants similar to ship's restaurants. With Maitre D, sommeliers and such.

Edited by Tatka
  • Haha 6

13 minutes ago, Tatka said:

It is not really an opinion, but global standards.

Whether they are adhered or not is another thing. 

Although I have not visited such restaurants in Carolina. Maybe they are very casual with tablecloths. I am talking about restaurants similar to ship's restaurants. With Maitre D, sommeliers and such.

I can state as fact that a tablecloth does not a standard make!  As stated, many upscale restaurants in S. Florida don't have dress codes that exclude shorts.  Even Ruth's Chris doesn't require coat and ties anymore.  Many years ago, I was going into Ruth's, I had a coat on but no tie and didn't have one on me, they loaned me one.  In fact, here is their dress code now:

https://ruthschris.net/dresscode/

BUSINESS CASUAL – PROPER ATTIRE REQUIRED PLEASE.

Kindly remove all hats when entering the restaurant. Guests wearing ball caps are asked to dine in the bar/lounge.

The following attire is not permitted in our dining rooms:
Gym wear, pool attire, tank tops, clothing with offensive graphics or language, revealing clothing or exposed undergarments.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tatka said:

Our favorite upscale restaurant in Dallas doesn’t allow shorts in the restaurant, but most do. 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

I can state as fact that a tablecloth does not a standard make!  As stated, many upscale restaurants in S. Florida don't have dress codes that exclude shorts.  Even Ruth's Chris doesn't require coat and ties anymore.  Many years ago, I was going into Ruth's, I had a coat on but no tie and didn't have one on me, they loaned me one.  In fact, here is their dress code now:

https://ruthschris.net/dresscode/

BUSINESS CASUAL – PROPER ATTIRE REQUIRED PLEASE.

Kindly remove all hats when entering the restaurant. Guests wearing ball caps are asked to dine in the bar/lounge.

The following attire is not permitted in our dining rooms:
Gym wear, pool attire, tank tops, clothing with offensive graphics or language, revealing clothing or exposed undergarments.

like the no ball caps in the restaurant policy. i know that many are proud that they served on the nina, pinta or the santa maria but wearing hats in the dining room is rude....just sayin'

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tatka said:

I wear shorts in restaurants with tablecloths in hot weather. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, retired dude said:

like the no ball caps in the restaurant policy. i know that many are proud that they served on the nina, pinta or the santa maria but wearing hats in the dining room is rude....just sayin'

Who is it rude to though? The cruise line is the "host". If the host doesn't care, then that's all that matters.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, retired dude said:

Sorry. Misread that you were specifically referring to Ruth Chris' policy.

5 minutes ago, retired dude said:

Rude to whom?  I'm retired military and wearing a hat while indoors unless under arms, was a big-time taboo.  Not because it was rude, but because it was tradition and discipline.  

I wear a hat into the MDR, when I go, but if I remember, I take it off when I get seated.  As stated many times, what I wear in a dining facility has no, absolutely no effect on the quality of your food or service.  Those that find fault with it probably sit on the Poarch at home yelling at passersby to get off their lawn.  I'm sorry, I just don't find any reason to be upset about a hat in a restaurant.  Yes, the MDR is just a restaurant. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Ret MP said:

Rude to whom?  I'm retired military and wearing a hat while indoors unless under arms, was a big-time taboo.  Not because it was rude, but because it was tradition and discipline.  

I wear a hat into the MDR, when I go, but if I remember, I take it off when I get seated.  As stated many times, what I wear in a dining facility has no, absolutely no effect on the quality of your food or service.  Those that find fault with it probably sit on the Poarch at home yelling at passersby to get off their lawn.  I'm sorry, I just don't find any reason to be upset about a hat in a restaurant.  Yes, the MDR is just a restaurant. 

Can I please have you give this same rant to my mother in law... whose entire birthday I apparently ruined last year because she didn't like my shoes?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5