Grand Galvez

kelkel2

On 4/19/2023 at 7:36 PM, kelkel2 said:

So I think we may be leaning towards staying at The Tremont. We will have our twins with us, they’ll be 5 going on 6. I saw there was a railroad museum nearby, they’d love that.  Is there a good locally owned coffee shop close enough to walk to from there? What about casual dinner? Any other must see’s in the area? 

Mod Coffeehouse is about 3 blocks away. I prefer the taste of Red Light Coffee, which may be 4 or 5 blocks away. But the atmosphere is probably better at Mod. Take the kids to La King's for ice cream and homemade taffy. They can even watch the taffy being made, and the candy guys (there's probably a word for them) throw taffy to the kids while they're making it. Yaga's would be good for a casual dinner, but there are also several other great restaurants within a few block radius of the Tremont.

I also like to take my kids over to the shrimp boats at Pier 19 to watch the pelicans. Just cross over Harborside and you can walk along the whole waterfront over there. Sometimes you get lucky and see dolphins. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MujerIsla said:

Mod Coffeehouse is about 3 blocks away. I prefer the taste of Red Light Coffee, which may be 4 or 5 blocks away. But the atmosphere is probably better at Mod. Take the kids to La King's for ice cream and homemade taffy. They can even watch the taffy being made, and the candy guys (there's probably a word for them) throw taffy to the kids while they're making it. Yaga's would be good for a casual dinner, but there are also several other great restaurants within a few block radius of the Tremont.

I also like to take my kids over to the shrimp boats at Pier 19 to watch the pelicans. Just cross over Harborside and you can walk along the whole waterfront over there. Sometimes you get lucky and see dolphins. 

Thank you!! Those all sound like great options. And the ice cream and taffy sound like so much fun for the kids! Is that walkable? I think we’re going to drive there so if not I don’t mind driving there as long as they have parking. 

6 minutes ago, kelkel2 said:

Thank you!! Those all sound like great options. And the ice cream and taffy sound like so much fun for the kids! Is that walkable? I think we’re going to drive there so if not I don’t mind driving there as long as they have parking. 

Totally! I think it's maybe a block from the Tremont. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, kelkel2 said:

Oh, and forgot to mention, La King's has a coffee bar too. You know, if you want to kill a couple birds. 

8 minutes ago, MujerIsla said:

Oh, and forgot to mention, La King's has a coffee bar too. You know, if you want to kill a couple birds. 

I’ll never turn down a good coffee! I work in healthcare and am known for having coffee with me all the time! 

• Like 1

I live in the Strand, and for local place or other options that are not mentioned above,  the best meal on the Island is at Downtown Shrimp & Stuff, blackened catfish.  Spicy, salty, with a great garlic butter sauce.  Yum.  Other places not highlighted above

Downtown Shrimp and Stuff $$

Huli Huli Hut $$

Ruby and Pacos $$$$

Grand Galvez Sunday Brunch $$$$

Number 13 $$$$

2 hours ago, MrMan said:

I live in the Strand, and for local place or other options that are not mentioned above,  the best meal on the Island is at Downtown Shrimp & Stuff, blackened catfish.  Spicy, salty, with a great garlic butter sauce.  Yum.  Other places not highlighted above

Downtown Shrimp and Stuff $$

Huli Huli Hut $$

Ruby and Pacos $$$$

Grand Galvez Sunday Brunch $$$$

Number 13 $$$$

What about somewhere with a kids menu? My kids will be on this vacation with us so we’ll probably stay on the more casual side. 

For Kids,

Rainforest Cafe

Bubba Gump on the Pleasure Peer (Warning means you will be paying for rides once they see it)

Shark Shack Beach Bar

Huli Huli hut

The Spot

Fishermans Warf

Sharkys Tavern

1 minute ago, MrMan said:

For Kids,

Rainforest Cafe

Bubba Gump on the Pleasure Peer (Warning means you will be paying for rides once they see it)

Shark Shack Beach Bar

Huli Huli hut

The Spot

Fishermans Warf

Sharkys Tavern

Ok, I totally forgot there was a Rainforest Cafe!!! Totally not my thing, but the kids would love it! 

On 4/20/2023 at 8:29 AM, tytanbri said:

We will be staying at the new Home2 Suites at 4302 Seawall. Is there anything decent down in that area?

Landry’s and Gaidos and Kriticos 

Edited by ssb
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Latherine said:

What hotel do you recommend that’s close to restaurants/entertainment area   & the port?  

The closest are The Tremont and Harbor House.  
Nothing is very far away on the island.

check visitgalveston.com and google maps

On 4/25/2023 at 1:35 PM, kelkel2 said:

What about somewhere with a kids menu? My kids will be on this vacation with us so we’ll probably stay on the more casual side. 

Star Drugs 

On 4/19/2023 at 1:32 PM, Galveston Cruiser said:

Flores owns Shark Shack.

Mike Dean owns Tsunami. Yaga's, Blvd. Seafood and Yaga's Entertainment - responsible for Mardi Gras.

I am probably a few years out of date. I was told that Flores founded all the Yaga's related groups (which, I guess he sold) as well as Tola Mo Bettah Market. Could be that my info was not well sourced. I do know that quite often, we run into Mr. Flores at the bar at Tola. We have met quite a few locals over there on Sunday afternoons. 

On 4/21/2023 at 11:02 AM, MujerIsla said:

Mod Coffeehouse is about 3 blocks away. I prefer the taste of Red Light Coffee, which may be 4 or 5 blocks away. But the atmosphere is probably better at Mod.

Put in my vote for Mod. A very nice place to hang and get a good cup of joe. 

Edited by theotherchad