NCL Getaway

jb9991

In 2015 I was on the Getaway, and due to an emergency had to disembark in St. Thomas. Just before we left the ship we found a little place { an upper deck, outside but covered area}  where they had the most awesome cinnamon rolls, and also lox & bagels.. I will be sailing on her again in May. Wondering if anyone who has been on her recently knows about this place. I cant find any info on the deck plans. I will certainly will be looking for it when I board, but curious if it is still there.

I may be totally off on where you’re thinking of, but back in the day when Breakaway and Getaway first launched, they both had an area on the pool deck that was a free dining venue. I can’t recall the name of it on Breakaway, which was the ship I sailed during that period. They served custom burgers and salads at lunchtime. In addition, they used to put a small breakfast buffet out there. I know that Getaway had a similar venue (themed a little different, though, I think). Over the years, as NCL decided to try to monetize as much space as possible, they first transformed those spaces into Margaritaville, for which you paid extra. Then, I guess that partnership ended and they made those spaces American Diner (also a pay venue). It’s the only area I can think of that fits what you’re describing, but it doesn’t exist as what it used to be anymore. The buffet usually has out some sort of cinnamon or sticky rolls at breakfast, I believe. They also have out items for smoked salmon and bagels, but the MDR definitely does a nicer job with that (visually at least; I don’t like lox and I’m from Long Island so I’ve never attempted NCL bagels as I suspect I wouldn’t approve lol).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dorhead1230 said:

Over the years, as NCL decided to try to monetize as much space as possible, they first transformed those spaces into Margaritaville, for which you paid extra.

Margaritaville used to offer a free breakfast in the morning, I suspect this may have been what the OP is thinking about.

13 minutes ago, KurtMo said:

Margaritaville used to offer a free breakfast in the morning, I suspect this may have been what the OP is thinking about.

If it was 2015, I think it was pre-Margaritaville, when it was still the fully free place. The only reason I think so is because I know I sailed Breakaway in 2015 and I did go once before the changeover to Margaritaville. But in all honesty it was probably the same food because I think that Margaritaville breakfast was just a little extension of the regular breakfast buffet, which is also what the breakfast there was when it was the free burger place (on Breakaway), anyway (I want to say that venue was Cuban-themed on Getaway). I wish I could remember the name of it…some other much more knowledgeable NCL historian on here will remember it.

Edited by Dorhead1230

10 hours ago, Dorhead1230 said:

💡aha! Uptown Grill! That’s what it was on Breakaway…can’t remember what the one on Getaway was called. That was driving me nuts lol.

Good recall.  I was trying to recall what it was.  Back then they also had the elusive hot dog cart on BA.