New NCL Cruiser with Lots of Questions!

pirate4me2

Hello fellow cruisers!

After 25 Carnival cruises, I have taken the plunge and booked cruises with 2 different cruiselines in the next 2 years. One line that has intrigued me has been NCL, and while feeling brave the other day I finally took the leap of faith and booked a sailing for 2025 on the Getaway. I am feeling a bit overwhelmed though, as I know Carnival like the back of my hand, and now I know NOTHING about Norwegian....can you all answer my list of questions that are weighing on my mind?

1. We are in a Haven stateroom, and I see that we have a restaurant just for that area. Does that menu rotate daily, or is it a set menu for all 7 days? If it stays the same and we get bored with it, or if it rotates and we do not like the options one night, can we go to the regular MDR, or are we only allowed to eat in the Haven restaurant? Also, will they expect us to eat at a same time each evening, or can we come and go as we please? And is it formal/dressier than the regular MDR, or casual? 

2. We have the highest-level drink package (we like our drinks!)....is there a limit on the number per day like on CCL? And will we be handed a receipt we have to sign for every single drink like on Carnival?

3. One of our ports of call is Roatan, and I know NCL docks at a different area than CCL. Is there a nice free beach area at their dock like Carnival has?

4. The Free at Sea package we booked under includes 2 free specialty restaurants, which would you reccommend a first time NCL cruiser try?? We sail on the Getaway, so choose your favorites from there for us!

5. Does NCL allow you to sit on the edge of the pool with your legs dangling in if you have a drink, or are they a strict "no drinks at the pool" type of line? 

I am sure I will have so many more questions as we get closer to the sailing date, but these are the ones weighing heavy on my mind right now. Thanks for any info you can provide! 

Here's what I can offer:

1. The Haven restaurant menu does not change.  You have no obligation to ever eat there, though.  You can arrive any time during their open hours, and I don't believe that they take reservations.  I don't believe it is any dressier than the MDR.

2. I don't recall having to sign for every drink, but maybe I was just having too much fun to remember that.  I have never heard of a drink limit on NCL.

4. I would probably go to Moderno and Le Bistro on Getaway, but it's very subjective.

1) Haven restaurant has the same menu for 7 days. On longer cruises they offer a special every night that is not on the menu. You can also use any of the free restaurants or the pay specialty restaurants.  You can come and go as you please no set dining time. Wear what you want

2) No limit on drinks and nothing to sign unless it is over the package limit

3) Ncl has a private beach area with a huge pool and the beach. Drinks and food are not included. 

4) Cagney is always a hit

5) I have sat in the haven pool with a drink. Not sure about the public pool but I don’t think it’s a problem

Welcome to the NCL boards! Others have given good answers, so here are just a few hints & tips:

1) While the Haven menu is the same all week, there is a LOT of flexibility if you give a little notice. For instance, my DW really likes the onion rings that are a side for one of the lunch menu items in the Haven dining room. We told the maitre d', and he arranged for her to be able to order onion rings at every dinner for the rest of the week. Want two filets instead of a filet and a lobster tail? Just ask. I have heard that if you ask the night before, you can get a menu item from the MDR served in the Haven DR, but haven't actually tried that.

4) The answer to this varies by person - of course - but my picks would be Cagney's and Moderno. Others would put these at the bottom of their lists - it is all about what you like.

5) The bars near the pools (and the servers on the pool deck in the Haven) typically serve drinks in plastic cups. So no issues with drinks in the pool area.

Jumping into this post because we have just done the exact same:  jumped lines to NCL from Royal/Princess, mainly because of Haven, which we have booked for 2024.  Excited to learn all the in-n-outs of NCL and Haven, and currently busy reading the nearly 70+ pages for Gary's Haven 2022 update. 😅

One question I also have, in addition to the above, is other specialty onboard dinners?  Reliably on Royal/Princess there have been on-ship dinners like Chef's Table or a special Winemaker's dinner/pairing, Princess has 360, etc.  We know that these cannot be booked prior, and we always look or request these once we get onship.  Part of the 'gametime' fun of begin underway!

For NCL, should we save room or look for impromtu meals like these once we're aboard?  I see from the boards that NCL has done away with Chef's Table, but do similar special meals exist on this line?  

I'll throw my thoughts in too. In the last year, we have cruised on NCL Getaway three times, in the Haven each time. Getaway is a really great ship and the Haven staff are absolutely amazing!! 

1. We are in a Haven stateroom, and I see that we have a restaurant just for that area. Does that menu rotate daily, or is it a set menu for all 7 days? If it stays the same and we get bored with it, or if it rotates and we do not like the options one night, can we go to the regular MDR, or are we only allowed to eat in the Haven restaurant? Also, will they expect us to eat at a same time each evening, or can we come and go as we please? And is it formal/dressier than the regular MDR, or casual? Menu does not rotate, as mentioned above. They do not accept reservations. Just come when you're hungry. We always eat around 5:30 (opening) and never have to wait. I've seen folks waiting in the lounge for a table, when we come out. Don't even worry about dressing up. It's totally casual! We are very much in the t-shirt, athletic shorts, flippie floppie vacation style of dress. We've never been asked to change or had any comments from fellow cruisers. I do remember a little side eye from one lady, back in September. Otherwise, no worries, whatsoever! 

2. We have the highest-level drink package (we like our drinks!)....is there a limit on the number per day like on CCL? And will we be handed a receipt we have to sign for every single drink like on Carnival? No drink limit. If you have Premium Plus, no receipt, ever. 

3. One of our ports of call is Roatan, and I know NCL docks at a different area than CCL. Is there a nice free beach area at their dock like Carnival has? We docked at Coxen Hole when we were on Joy, back in March. No good beach close by. We did walk by a couple that could be used, but I wouldn't swim in them without water shoes on. Go to West Bay Beach, purchase a $20 beach pass and enjoy the beach there. It's about a 20 - 30 minute ride from Coxen Hole, includes chairs and has a really phenomenal beach! 

4. The Free at Sea package we booked under includes 2 free specialty restaurants, which would you reccommend a first time NCL cruiser try?? We sail on the Getaway, so choose your favorites from there for us! On Getaway, we've been to La Cucina, Cagney's, Teppanyaki, American Diner, and Moderno. American Diner is offered, at no additional charge, to Haven guests on embarkation day. You can choose to eat there or in the Haven Restaurant. I enjoy American Diner's laidback vibe and menu. Even though you can dress casual, the Haven Restaurant is an elegant dining room, with luxurious (aka, very slow) service. When we cruise on Getaway again (and I'm sure we will), we would go back to La Cucina, Teppanyaki, and Moderno. Cagney's is an overpriced (even if included in Free at Sea) Texas Roadhouse type of food. The Haven will give you a much better surf and turf. 

5. Does NCL allow you to sit on the edge of the pool with your legs dangling in if you have a drink, or are they a strict "no drinks at the pool" type of line? I've sat in the Haven pool and hot tub with a drink in hand on many occasions. The servers will come to you at the hot tub/pool, in Haven, to inquire if you'd like a drink and hand it to you when they return.

What you didn't ask:

1. Haven Restaurant - if you're worried about getting tired of the same menu for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, don't (except lunch). Lunch is my least favorite meal in the Haven. Not due to quality...though the burger and French dip are sometimes good/sometimes bad. Honestly, if you enjoy burgers, grab a double quarter pounder from McDonald's before your cruise and make it your first stop after the cruise. NCL burgers suck! 

Anyway, you can customize your food based on what's on the menu and by requesting different items in advance of your meal. For example:

- The day before I want it, I pre-order crab cakes for breakfast. I enjoy having Eggs Benedict, subbing the tiny piece of ham for a crab cake. Since crab cakes are on the Haven menu (for dinner), I just speak with the maitre d who arranges the crab cake availability for breakfast. Same with steak and eggs. They serve a NY strip for breakfast. Instead, ask them to hold a filet for you the day before and you'll get yourself filet and eggs for breakfast. 

- My husband loves shrimp cocktail. At dinner, the menu has Shrimp Louie. Instead of the lettuce and dressing, my husband asks for shrimp cocktail. He always gets it. The standard serving size is three shrimp. That's' nowhere near enough. My husband orders, 7, 11, 13, whatever his heart desires. 

- The cobb salad for lunch is lovely. Actually, all the salads are lovely if you order extra dressing and toppers. For example, we order extra chicken, extra egg, extra bacon, add shrimp to the cobb salad. 

- There are plenty of other customizations you can make. Just be smart about it and request items at least a few hours, if not at least a day ahead. That's what we do and (food wise) the Haven staff has never said no. 

One of the included eateries onboard is Shanghai Noodle Bar. It is very good! And, very popular! On sea days it is open from 12 - 1:30. The line begins forming at 11:15, or so. If you get there at noon, except on the first sea day, they likely won't have room for you during lunch. They are open every evening, but fill up quickly then too. BUT, you're Haven!!!! That means you can talk with your butler ahead of time to find out how much lead time they will need in order to deliver Shanghai to you. We did this and our butler told us to order at 4 PM, so we would have it delivered at 5:30 (right when Shanghai opens for evening servicer). We did and were not disappointed. He brought us all the food we ordered, plus more! At no additional charge, except for the tip. Do this. At least once! 

Also, do you enjoy warm water? Warm air? Comfy heated loungers? Saunas? And more? Be sure to get the thermal suite pass! It runs roughly $300 for a week (depends on sailing). Just. Do. It. I love the thermal suite. Be sure to go early and late, as it can get quite busy during the middle of a sea day. 

Enjoy Getaway! It was our first NCL ship, last April. It will always be our "home away from home." Especially that beautiful Haven. We've sailed on Joy, in the Haven and while it may be a "better" experience, we love the staff on Getaway more. 

If you're interested, post # two has links to my previous three Getaway Haven sailings. Feel free to take a look. 

• Like 2

On 4/14/2023 at 12:29 PM, pirate4me2 said:

I am sure I will have so many more questions as we get closer to the sailing date, but these are the ones weighing heavy on my mind right now. Thanks for any info you can provide! 

After 25 Carnival cruises, I have taken the plunge and booked cruises with 2 different cruise lines in the next 2 years. One line that has intrigued me has been NCL, and while feeling brave the other day I finally took the leap of faith and booked a sailing for 2025 on the Getaway. I am feeling a bit overwhelmed though, as I know Carnival like the back of my hand, and now I know NOTHING about Norwegian....can you all answer my list of questions that are weighing on my mind?

1. We are in a Haven stateroom, and I see that we have a restaurant just for that area. Does that menu rotate daily, or is it a set menu for all 7 days? If it stays the same and we get bored with it, or if it rotates and we do not like the options one night, can we go to the regular MDR, or are we only allowed to eat in the Haven restaurant? Also, will they expect us to eat at a same time each evening, or can we come and go as we please? And is it formal/dressier than the regular MDR, or casual? 

You have picked the absolute best way to introduce yourself to NCL by selecting a Haven stateroom. The Haven has a set breakfast, lunch, and dinner menus. You can eat at any restaurant on the ship. You should have received two free specialty dining dinners with your reservation, so, you can dine out at least two night. Dress code is casual. You can wear shorts for every meal at every restaurant except the Ocean Blue (seafood) and Le Bistro (French) specialty restaurants where gents are asked to wear long pants (jeans or dockers are fine). 

We were on the Getaway's sister ship, the Breakaway last fall and I have a thread with some food photos from that cruise. The menu has had a few tweaks since this post. But it gives you an idea on what is available. If you notice, we will add a lobster tail or two to almost everything we order... entrée, salad, dessert (well,,, maybe not). 

2. We have the highest-level drink package (we like our drinks!)....is there a limit on the number per day like on CCL? And will we be handed a receipt we have to sign for every single drink like on Carnival?

The highest level drink package is Premium Plus which is an upgrade from the package that comes for free with your reservation. There is no limit other than only two drinks at a time can be ordered. We never order more than one, but you could get two drinks,,, then go back for another two drinks 15 minutes later,,, and follow that pattern. There are no receipts. They just swipe your card and away you go. If you only have the Premium package (not Plus), the package covers the first $15 of drink price with you paying the difference. If you have the Plus package, almost all drinks onboard are available to you (there are a couple of exceptions).

We are just off a cruise, and we like our Brandy Alexanders. We ask that the bartender use Remy Martin VSOP ($30/oz) instead of the house brandy. And drink Veuve Clicquot instead of the default Prosecco. 

3. One of our ports of call is Roatan, and I know NCL docks at a different area than CCL. Is there a nice free beach area at their dock like Carnival has?

No beach. We normally take the ShoreEx over the Maya Key Private Island which is a 5 minute boat ride from the dock to the island. We do it because their is snorkeling off the end of the pier where the reef drops off into deeper water and there are a lot of fish. Includes a beach buffet. 

4. The Free at Sea package we booked under includes 2 free specialty restaurants, which would you recommend a first time NCL cruiser try?? We sail on the Getaway, so choose your favorites from there for us!

Food is entirely up to your taste.

Most people would pick the Cagney's steakhouse. For us, we go to steakhouses all the time on land, so we don't need to do it on the ship. Same with La Cucina, we can get better Italian food at home. 

Our dining preferences are Le Bistro (went there twice last week on a cruise), Ocean Blue, Teppanyaki, Moderno, Cagney's in that order. 

5. Does NCL allow you to sit on the edge of the pool with your legs dangling in if you have a drink, or are they a strict "no drinks at the pool" type of line? 

No restrictions

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

3. One of our ports of call is Roatan, and I know NCL docks at a different area than CCL. Is there a nice free beach area at their dock like Carnival has? We docked at Coxen Hole when we were on Joy, back in March. No good beach close by. We did walk by a couple that could be used, but I wouldn't swim in them without water shoes on. Go to West Bay Beach, purchase a $20 beach pass and enjoy the beach there. It's about a 20 - 30 minute ride from Coxen Hole, includes chairs and has a really phenomenal beach! 

I agree 100%. We spent 8 days on Roatan at the beginning of March. We stayed in West Bay. IMO Paradise beach is a wonderful place to rent loungers and umbrellas. $15 per lounger includes wifi, access to pools and restrooms. They have a restaurant and bar right there. It was perfect. 

Edited by redmomof4
messed up quote section
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

I'll throw my thoughts in too. In the last year, we have cruised on NCL Getaway three times, in the Haven each time. Getaway is a really great ship and the Haven staff are absolutely amazing!! 

1. We are in a Haven stateroom, and I see that we have a restaurant just for that area. Does that menu rotate daily, or is it a set menu for all 7 days? If it stays the same and we get bored with it, or if it rotates and we do not like the options one night, can we go to the regular MDR, or are we only allowed to eat in the Haven restaurant? Also, will they expect us to eat at a same time each evening, or can we come and go as we please? And is it formal/dressier than the regular MDR, or casual? Menu does not rotate, as mentioned above. They do not accept reservations. Just come when you're hungry. We always eat around 5:30 (opening) and never have to wait. I've seen folks waiting in the lounge for a table, when we come out. Don't even worry about dressing up. It's totally casual! We are very much in the t-shirt, athletic shorts, flippie floppie vacation style of dress. We've never been asked to change or had any comments from fellow cruisers. I do remember a little side eye from one lady, back in September. Otherwise, no worries, whatsoever! 

2. We have the highest-level drink package (we like our drinks!)....is there a limit on the number per day like on CCL? And will we be handed a receipt we have to sign for every single drink like on Carnival? No drink limit. If you have Premium Plus, no receipt, ever. 

4. The Free at Sea package we booked under includes 2 free specialty restaurants, which would you reccommend a first time NCL cruiser try?? We sail on the Getaway, so choose your favorites from there for us! On Getaway, we've been to La Cucina, Cagney's, Teppanyaki, American Diner, and Moderno. American Diner is offered, at no additional charge, to Haven guests on embarkation day. You can choose to eat there or in the Haven Restaurant. I enjoy American Diner's laidback vibe and menu. Even though you can dress casual, the Haven Restaurant is an elegant dining room, with luxurious (aka, very slow) service. When we cruise on Getaway again (and I'm sure we will), we would go back to La Cucina, Teppanyaki, and Moderno. Cagney's is an overpriced (even if included in Free at Sea) Texas Roadhouse type of food. The Haven will give you a much better surf and turf. 

5. Does NCL allow you to sit on the edge of the pool with your legs dangling in if you have a drink, or are they a strict "no drinks at the pool" type of line? I've sat in the Haven pool and hot tub with a drink in hand on many occasions. The servers will come to you at the hot tub/pool, in Haven, to inquire if you'd like a drink and hand it to you when they return.

What you didn't ask:

1. Haven Restaurant - if you're worried about getting tired of the same menu for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, don't (except lunch). Lunch is my least favorite meal in the Haven. Not due to quality...though the burger and French dip are sometimes good/sometimes bad. Honestly, if you enjoy burgers, grab a double quarter pounder from McDonald's before your cruise and make it your first stop after the cruise. NCL burgers suck! 

Anyway, you can customize your food based on what's on the menu and by requesting different items in advance of your meal. For example:

- The day before I want it, I pre-order crab cakes for breakfast. I enjoy having Eggs Benedict, subbing the tiny piece of ham for a crab cake. Since crab cakes are on the Haven menu (for dinner), I just speak with the maitre d who arranges the crab cake availability for breakfast. Same with steak and eggs. They serve a NY strip for breakfast. Instead, ask them to hold a filet for you the day before and you'll get yourself filet and eggs for breakfast. 

- My husband loves shrimp cocktail. At dinner, the menu has Shrimp Louie. Instead of the lettuce and dressing, my husband asks for shrimp cocktail. He always gets it. The standard serving size is three shrimp. That's' nowhere near enough. My husband orders, 7, 11, 13, whatever his heart desires. 

- The cobb salad for lunch is lovely. Actually, all the salads are lovely if you order extra dressing and toppers. For example, we order extra chicken, extra egg, extra bacon, add shrimp to the cobb salad. 

- There are plenty of other customizations you can make. Just be smart about it and request items at least a few hours, if not at least a day ahead. That's what we do and (food wise) the Haven staff has never said no. 

One of the included eateries onboard is Shanghai Noodle Bar. It is very good! And, very popular! On sea days it is open from 12 - 1:30. The line begins forming at 11:15, or so. If you get there at noon, except on the first sea day, they likely won't have room for you during lunch. They are open every evening, but fill up quickly then too. BUT, you're Haven!!!! That means you can talk with your butler ahead of time to find out how much lead time they will need in order to deliver Shanghai to you. We did this and our butler told us to order at 4 PM, so we would have it delivered at 5:30 (right when Shanghai opens for evening servicer). We did and were not disappointed. He brought us all the food we ordered, plus more! At no additional charge, except for the tip. Do this. At least once! 

Also, do you enjoy warm water? Warm air? Comfy heated loungers? Saunas? And more? Be sure to get the thermal suite pass! It runs roughly $300 for a week (depends on sailing). Just. Do. It. I love the thermal suite. Be sure to go early and late, as it can get quite busy during the middle of a sea day. 

Enjoy Getaway! It was our first NCL ship, last April. It will always be our "home away from home." Especially that beautiful Haven. We've sailed on Joy, in the Haven and while it may be a "better" experience, we love the staff on Getaway more. 

If you're interested, post # two has links to my previous three Getaway Haven sailings. Feel free to take a look. 

I will make sure to read those threads, thank you! And thanks for all the info about customizing....I will make sure to try crabcakes benedict, that sounds right up my alley! 

22 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

After 25 Carnival cruises, I have taken the plunge and booked cruises with 2 different cruise lines in the next 2 years. One line that has intrigued me has been NCL, and while feeling brave the other day I finally took the leap of faith and booked a sailing for 2025 on the Getaway. I am feeling a bit overwhelmed though, as I know Carnival like the back of my hand, and now I know NOTHING about Norwegian....can you all answer my list of questions that are weighing on my mind?

You have picked the absolute best way to introduce yourself to NCL by selecting a Haven stateroom. The Haven has a set breakfast, lunch, and dinner menus. You can eat at any restaurant on the ship. You should have received two free specialty dining dinners with your reservation, so, you can dine out at least two night. Dress code is casual. You can wear shorts for every meal at every restaurant except the Ocean Blue (seafood) and Le Bistro (French) specialty restaurants where gents are asked to wear long pants (jeans or dockers are fine). 

We were on the Getaway's sister ship, the Breakaway last fall and I have a thread with some food photos from that cruise. The menu has had a few tweaks since this post. But it gives you an idea on what is available. If you notice, we will add a lobster tail or two to almost everything we order... entrée, salad, dessert (well,,, maybe not). 

The highest level drink package is Premium Plus which is an upgrade from the package that comes for free with your reservation. There is no limit other than only two drinks at a time can be ordered. We never order more than one, but you could get two drinks,,, then go back for another two drinks 15 minutes later,,, and follow that pattern. There are no receipts. They just swipe your card and away you go. If you only have the Premium package (not Plus), the package covers the first $15 of drink price with you paying the difference. If you have the Plus package, almost all drinks onboard are available to you (there are a couple of exceptions).

We are just off a cruise, and we like our Brandy Alexanders. We ask that the bartender use Remy Martin VSOP ($30/oz) instead of the house brandy. And drink Veuve Clicquot instead of the default Prosecco. 

No beach. We normally take the ShoreEx over the Maya Key Private Island which is a 5 minute boat ride from the dock to the island. We do it because their is snorkeling off the end of the pier where the reef drops off into deeper water and there are a lot of fish. Includes a beach buffet. 

4. The Free at Sea package we booked under includes 2 free specialty restaurants, which would you recommend a first time NCL cruiser try?? We sail on the Getaway, so choose your favorites from there for us!

Food is entirely up to your taste.

Most people would pick the Cagney's steakhouse. For us, we go to steakhouses all the time on land, so we don't need to do it on the ship. Same with La Cucina, we can get better Italian food at home. 

Our dining preferences are Le Bistro (went there twice last week on a cruise), Ocean Blue, Teppanyaki, Moderno, Cagney's in that order. 

No restrictions

Wonderful information, thank you! And thanks for posting those menus! 

• Like 1

I came late to this party---all of your questions have been thoroughly answered.  I will contribute only to a recommendation of specialty restaurants.

As mentioned above, there is always the variable of personal taste.  But even so. I would recommend the Japanese steakhouse, Teppenyaki---because of the performances of the tableside chefs.  It's an experience unlike the other specialty houses.

On our Haven cruise, the Good Mrs. Benson and I also visited the seafood restaurant Ocean Blue.  This was on Norwegian Joy.  It was a perfectly fine meal, but lacked the "wow!" factor we'd enjoyed in other fine-dining establishments, both at sea and ashore.  On our Haven cruise next year, we'll return to Teppenyaki but choose a different place for our second option.

Edited by CDR Benson

On 4/14/2023 at 12:29 PM, pirate4me2 said:

And is it formal/dressier than the regular MDR, or casual? 

This may be shocking, but NCL is almost always more casual than Carnival, especially at dinner. You'll get zero looks wearing very casual clothing/shorts almost everywhere, except for one of the MDRs and Le Bistro/Ocean Blue (and even then sometimes the restaurant hosts don't really care). It's one of the things we enjoy about NCL, it's a very laid back vibe surrounding dining.

On 4/14/2023 at 1:27 PM, pettygirl said:

Jumping into this post because we have just done the exact same:  jumped lines to NCL from Royal/Princess, mainly because of Haven, which we have booked for 2024.  Excited to learn all the in-n-outs of NCL and Haven, and currently busy reading the nearly 70+ pages for Gary's Haven 2022 update. 😅

One question I also have, in addition to the above, is other specialty onboard dinners?  Reliably on Royal/Princess there have been on-ship dinners like Chef's Table or a special Winemaker's dinner/pairing, Princess has 360, etc.  We know that these cannot be booked prior, and we always look or request these once we get onship.  Part of the 'gametime' fun of begin underway!

For NCL, should we save room or look for impromtu meals like these once we're aboard?  I see from the boards that NCL has done away with Chef's Table, but do similar special meals exist on this line?  

A personal thought on the "Haven secrets" threads that populate CC: a lot of regular Haven cruisers (including myself) roll their eyes at the conduct extolled in those forum posts. Personally, we've never given our butler hundreds of dollars up front, or a binder full of details about how we expect them to conduct themselves in relation to us. To each their own, but don't feel that's what you need to do (or should do). 

Re: Chef's Table type stuff, there's nothing. As I noted above, the line is pretty casual, so my guess is that there's not a lot of demand for a dress up, paired beverage, exclusive dinner experience sort of thing... it's not their vibe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, CDR Benson said:

I came late to this party---all of your questions have been thoroughly answered.  I will contribute only to a recommendation of specialty restaurants.

As mentioned above, there is always the variable of personal taste.  But even so. I would recommend the Japanese steakhouse, Teppenyaki---because of the performances of the tableside chefs.  It's an experience unlike the other specialty houses.

On our Haven cruise, the Good Mrs. Benson and I also visited the seafood restaurant Ocean Blue.  This was on Norwegian Joy.  It was a perfectly fine meal, but lacked the "wow!" factor we'd enjoyed in other fine-dining establishments, both at sea and ashore.  On our Haven cruise next year, we'll return to Teppenyaki but choose a different place for our second option.

I will add Teppenyaki to the "must do" list I have started. We love Japanese food! Thanks for the tip!

17 hours ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

This may be shocking, but NCL is almost always more casual than Carnival, especially at dinner. You'll get zero looks wearing very casual clothing/shorts almost everywhere, except for one of the MDRs and Le Bistro/Ocean Blue (and even then sometimes the restaurant hosts don't really care). It's one of the things we enjoy about NCL, it's a very laid back vibe surrounding dining.

A personal thought on the "Haven secrets" threads that populate CC: a lot of regular Haven cruisers (including myself) roll their eyes at the conduct extolled in those forum posts. Personally, we've never given our butler hundreds of dollars up front, or a binder full of details about how we expect them to conduct themselves in relation to us. To each their own, but don't feel that's what you need to do (or should do). 

Re: Chef's Table type stuff, there's nothing. As I noted above, the line is pretty casual, so my guess is that there's not a lot of demand for a dress up, paired beverage, exclusive dinner experience sort of thing... it's not their vibe.

Wow, I wasn't expecting to hear they re more casual....if DH and I like them, I may have to have my mom try sailing with them too! She's not big on having to dress up for dinner, so she may really enjoy NCL! 

43 minutes ago, carohs said:

Since you've already decided to get the upgraded drink package, have you considered FAS+? This also includes unlimited WiFi, shore excursion credit, and I believe extra specialty dining. 

That is actually what we did :) 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, carohs said:

Since you've already decided to get the upgraded drink package, have you considered FAS+? This also includes unlimited WiFi, shore excursion credit, and I believe extra specialty dining. 

How does one book FAS+? I didn’t see that option when doing “ fake booking” for the cruise. 

• 3 months later...
On 4/20/2023 at 5:58 PM, olya1972 said:

How does one book FAS+? I didn’t see that option when doing “ fake booking” for the cruise. 

Once you are booked, the FAS+ option is an "Add-On" option to purchase!

Just noticed the previous date...Sorry for this very late reply!

Edited by ggTexasGal
added note