Non-ship tour to see Volcano National Park?

rcprncss

Can anyone recommend a great tour that leaves from Hilo to see Volcanot National Park? This is my first Hawaiin cruise and first visit to The Big Island.  I will be there in June, if this helps.  🙂Thank you.

Edited by rcprncss
left info out

You could try looking at Toursbylocals.com

We've used them all over the world and have been generally very very pleased. We've specifically used amount of Hilo in the past and we're very pleased. Most of them will do more than just Volcano National Park and if you look on there pre-plan tours find one that works for you in size and cost and then you can negotiate to Taylor the tour to see exactly what you'd like to see. Another alternative that you might like if you could rent a car either through an agency or by Turo.com and drive yourself. Those are my two recommendations.

Whatever you decide to do I hope you have a wonderful visit Volcano National Park is a truly special place.

• Like 1

You can also try :"Roberts Hawaii". Check  online or call them to discuss.  We used them for several island tours pre-covid, including a wonderful Volcano Nat Park tour, but I believe they have scaled back since then. If you check online, make sure you choose "Shore Excursions" for "Cruises".   

41 minutes ago, oregonian123 said:

You can also try :"Roberts Hawaii". Check  online or call them to discuss.  We used them for several island tours pre-covid, including a wonderful Volcano Nat Park tour, but I believe they have scaled back since then. If you check online, make sure you choose "Shore Excursions" for "Cruises".   

Thank you!  I actually looked at his tours for Kauai but didn't think about his tours for The Big Island.  I am looking now.  🙂 

44 minutes ago, rcprncss said:

Thank you!  I actually looked at his tours for Kauai but didn't think about his tours for The Big Island.  I am looking now. 

It's a bit bigger and less personal than "his"-- its the largest tour company on the islands and has been around since 1941-- I think they have nearly 1000 vehicles. They actually operate a bunch of the cruise line excursions in addition to the independent tours you can book separately. 

They have scaled back since pre covid but have increased offerings again lately. They are usually well run, and are very consistent in quality across their offerings, with higher quality vehicles than you sometimes get with independent operators including large busses. 

Roberts can be the safe bet in case you are unsure about reviews of other offerings-- there are more interesting independent guides that may offer a more specialized tour (like several we use for family from time to time in Maui) but Roberts is a very good baseline tour operator. 

• Like 1

@princeton123211 LOL.  Thank you.  I didn't realize it was such a huge tour company.  I checked and there were no tours from Hilo the day we will be there.  I have two companies in mind.
Keikana Tours or C Big Island Tours.  If you have used either of those companies, please share.  Thanks again for responding!

We also have used Toursbylocals.com. Mostly used them in Europe, but two years ago, we hired them for a day long tour of Oahu. The driver was very knowledgeable and friendly. He accommodated all of our requests as we traveled.

I have been very happy with this group. We had a tour in Italy reserved for July 2020. They could not have been more gracious when we had to cancel it. Refunded our money and included a voucher for a future tour. ( which we used in Hawaii)

• Like 1