Alaska cruise tour on own - excursion question

JinxyB

Hi- we are booked on a 4-day post cruise land tour ‘on our own’ which basically means we get transportation and hotels with the other Princess guests on the guided tour. I’m looking through the excursions and wondering if there are local places to book rafting/boating/mountain biking, etc. I did book an ATV tour through Princess, but my son and I are fairly adventurous and would like to do our own thing if possible. We are going to Mt McKinley, Denali and Fairbanks (already booked my own Arctic Circle flight). Thank you 

I have no idea but with four days two days will be traveling. One to get to Denali and one to get to Fairbanks. If you can you could get National Park bus ride at Denali to Pretty Rocks mile 42. That plus your A/C flight and you will be out of time. Just about every Princess excursion you could book on your own unless the providers won't book to non Princess guests. Never heard of what you are describing. 

I am not sure I have hear about this option of on your own.. Maybe it is new.   We took an RCCL cruise tour and a guide was on the bus available to make reservations for excursions if you wanted some.   We didn't do hardly any excursions other than the Denali wilderness tour.   The other stops we hiked on our own, our lodging places seem to all have some hiking places near the grounds....

• Like 1

If "doing your own thing" is what you desire, I'd suggest canceling the Princess tour and using a rental car to do your own great trip.

The McKinley Princess Lodge is just a spot for Princess to park their people at overnight. Its in a scenic location with very limited activities. Most activities require another hour long bus ride back into Talkeetna.

And is there something specific you were looking to do in Fairbanks?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, AKStafford said:

If "doing your own thing" is what you desire, I'd suggest canceling the Princess tour and using a rental car to do your own great trip.

The McKinley Princess Lodge is just a spot for Princess to park their people at overnight. Its in a scenic location with very limited activities. Most activities require another hour long bus ride back into Talkeetna.

And is there something specific you were looking to do in Fairbanks?

I can’t cancel the land tour because I’m past final payment…plus I’m only traveling with my teen son and don’t care to do hours of driving myself. I booked an independent flight/tour of the Arctic Circle in Fairbanks. Was going to stay an extra day and check out the hot springs via Turo rental car, but had to cut the trip short for obligations at home. There is a rafting trip that looks fun from the McKinley lodge, but it’s through Princess. May just keep things simple and book through them.

Last August we went river rafting in Denali and used New Wave Adventures. If you are staying at the princess lodge in denali you can walk to it.  It literally is across the street and to the left from the lodge. There is also a reasonable pizza place maybe 2 doors down that we went to afterwards.

• Like 1

The Mt. McKinley Lodge is near Talkeetna, where you can do some river tours. I've heard a lot of good things about Mahay's. But we usually just walk around the town of Talkeetna, checking out all the shops and eating at the pizza place. If you have a clear day, walk all the way down to the river and you can see Denali/Mt. McKinley (the mountain itself).

My teens and I went to Denali in 2020 during Covid so everything was closed and we just hiked. We did the out-and-back at Savage River and the Horseshoe Lake loop right at the park entrance. We actually saw more wildlife at the lake loop tour than Savage River - beavers, a lynx, a momma and baby moose, etc. Make sure if you hike on your own you are appropriately knowledgeable about and prepared for bear and moose sightings. Oh, we did also do a rafting trip as well, which was fun. Many years ago when I was in my 20's, I did a horseback tour in Denali and that was amazing. 

Have a great trip!