Cancelled Cruise Nonrefundable Deposit Question - Using Credit

hubofhockey

I had to cancel our cruise and it had a nonrefundable deposit of $900. The credit leftover is $700, but won't be available for 45 days.  If I book a cruise now, can I apply the credit to the replacement cruise when I receive the credit?  I wasn't sure if that credit could only be used as an initial deposit on a new cruise and if I should wait to book my replacement cruise. Thanks.

Similar happened to us January 2022 when we had to cancel our May 2022 cruise.  We found a cruise for May 2023 during a promotion but credit wasn’t available so we paid the tax and I followed up at about 4 weeks later and the credit was available to be applied.  Not sure if it would have been done automatically so be sure to follow up on your own.  I did book the May 2023 cruise w/Celebrity over the phone and they told me about the option to only pay taxes at time of booking so I would say it’s worth a phone call.  

You will be able to use the credit up to final payment date. Unfortunately we have been in your situation and have applied the credits after deposit but before FP. We usually apply it a couple weeks before FP to make sure it posts and the FP amount recognizes it.

BTW-love your avatar. Real season begins tonight. Let’s hope the memorable season continues ! 

mac_tlc

32 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

You will be able to use the credit up to final payment date. Unfortunately we have been in your situation and have applied the credits after deposit but before FP. We usually apply it a couple weeks before FP to make sure it posts and the FP amount recognizes it.

BTW-love your avatar. Real season begins tonight. Let’s hope the memorable season continues ! 

mac_tlc

Thanks, I booked the replacement cruise and the online travel agent said I would need to call them to apply it the replacement cruise.  It will be the last time I book on Celebrity with the nonrefundable rates that far in advance.  Looks like they changed the rules and now you lose the entire deposit.  Effectively, that drives the price of a Celebrity cruise up considerably. 

I have tickets to Game 4 of this series.  We get back to New England in mid-May, but tickets for Panthers for playoffs are $99 and in Boston $300.  Easy choice to see the B's play down here.

1 minute ago, hubofhockey said:

Thanks, I booked the replacement cruise and the online travel agent said I would need to call them to apply it the replacement cruise.  It will be the last time I book on Celebrity with the nonrefundable rates that far in advance.  Looks like they changed the rules and now you lose the entire deposit.  Effectively, that drives the price of a Celebrity cruise up considerably. 

I have tickets to Game 4 of this series.  We get back to New England in mid-May, but tickets for Panthers for playoffs are $99 and in Boston $300.  Easy choice to see the B's play down here.

The way we are "avoiding" the new refundable rate rules are to only book onboard. That way the deposit (for a Sky Suite and below) is $100pp, which is the same as you would lose under the old rules. Unfortunately, they dramatically shortened the period that an onboard open booking can be used, from one year to 6 months. But, if you can find something you like within that 6 month period, you can book anything that is currently available, now through Spring 2025. 

Enjoy Game 4!!!!!!!!!!!!

mac_tlc

18 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

The way we are "avoiding" the new refundable rate rules are to only book onboard. That way the deposit (for a Sky Suite and below) is $100pp, which is the same as you would lose under the old rules. Unfortunately, they dramatically shortened the period that an onboard open booking can be used, from one year to 6 months. But, if you can find something you like within that 6 month period, you can book anything that is currently available, now through Spring 2025. 

Enjoy Game 4!!!!!!!!!!!!

mac_tlc

Six months for an open booking, but if you can still book a cruise over a year out with the FCC, then that is the only way I'd book.  The prices at this point are close to Azamara and, to me, that's a better product and deposits are refundable.

• Like 1