Relocation Cruise - cheaper for a reason?

HongKongAlan

Hi, new to Ponant. I've only previously sailed on Regent who I really liked.

Looking at a Ponant cruise from Kobe to Darwin this year. Its relatively poorly sold according to the agent. Concerned that given its relocation ship that Ponant will be making cutbacks in terms of entertainment, opening times of restaurants etc. 

Also any thoughts if 14 days with no stops on La Soleal is just way too long.

Thanks

Alan

On Ocean Voyages, Ponant doesn’t promise much of anything. See this trip report: 

You should expect odd hours in the restaurants and maintenance work going on on-board. But you might also get to experience things like performances by the crew band, experimental menu items or lectures on sailing history. I’d have low expectations and be pleased if they are exceeded. 

• 3 weeks later...

Of course it's cheaper for a reason...no ports of call, no excursions, every day is a 'sea day'. The objective is to relocate the ship as quickly as possible and to undertake any maintenance (think of varnish on railings etc). Highly likely that only one of the two food venues will be open, no musicians or 'theatre'. If you've done a 14 day cruise with port calls/expedition format, then imagine 14 days where you need to entertain yourself. If you haven't done a 14 day cruise, then this isn't the one to start with. 

That being said, I can happily spend 14 days out on the decks wildlife spotting. Others can't manage more than two sea days in a row without a meltdown. It's up to you in terms of how you think the relocation cruise will match your expectations. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the useful perspective. I've cancelled the relocation cruise off my list for just the reasons you suggest. Tokyo to Vancouver won out instead on the Explorer. Can't wait. Thanks for the assistance.