Sailing out of Galveston

abby1257

The Gulf Coast Departures category is full of these same questions. Unfortunately, there's not a best answer. Ground transportation for sailing out of Galveston is less than ideal, but there are some different options for you.

I live about 5 miles from IAH on the north side of Houston. It takes us about 90 minutes if traffic isn't bad to get to Galveston. If traffic is bad, can take 2.5 to 3 hours.  Hobby is much closer, but generally speaking fewer airlines fly into Hobby.  It is also not as busy.  I would personally fly into Hobby everything else being equal for a cruise out of Galveston.  Carnival usually offers transportation from the airport to the pier for a fee.  I would use what they offer. If not, I would try to take an Uber or do a car service. I don't know of any companies simply to recommend simply because we always drive to Galveston.  

There are two big transport companies: Galveston Limo and Galveston Express. And absolutely fly into Hobby if you can.  90% of their flights are Southwest so I hope that works for you.  We routinely stay near the airport and use the hotel shuttle to get back to the airport in the morning to catch the Cruise Port shuttle.  None pick up directly from the hotels that I'm aware of.

We are sitting at the port of Galveston now waiting to board.

We flew into HOU/Hobby last night (well technically at 3 am this morning after multiple delays on Southwest) and took an Uber to the port this morning. It took us 40 minutes to get here and cost $41 before tip.

I've used Galveston Express four times all out of IAH. I have had only positive experiences with them. They only pick up and drop off at the airports in Houston but will dop you off at many Galveston hotels if you are arriving prior to your cruise or pick up at your Galveston hotel if you stay extra days after your cruise besides the cruise terminal. If you are 55+ they have a senior discount on most round trip bookings. When I cruise out of Galveston again, I will use them for my transportation between the airport and Galveston.