Caribbean Princess - Far Aft Mini Suites

PMGS247

As with most Mini Suites on the CB, I'm talking Dolphin deck...far aft, cabins D732 & D733

Any other mini suites yield the option for Bed Configurations of either either 2x Twin or Queen. 

For some reason these rooms specifically ONLY have the option of 2x Twin.  I've come across this multiple times in attempting to book the CB.  Every time I ask Princess about it the princess rep on the other end is as surprised as anyone that Queen isn't an option usually starting with "that's weird" and seemingly start with confidence that it must be a mistake they can overcome but inevitably end up steering me to another cabin and have never come back to explain why Queen beds are not an option.

I've sailed on both the Crown and Emerald Princess which have identical Dolphin decks to the CB and stayed in D732 on both ships, Queen config no problem.

Anyone ever run into this or know why these cabins specifically would only be configurable to 2x twin? 

It's a desirable cabin in the sense that it has an additional cut-out section on it's balcony for aesthetic reasons at the aft of the ship, resulting in basically a double sized balcony.  Here's a photo from the Emerald where you can see the balcony extension.  Where the hand-rail is mis-aligned and the solid half-wall starts is where the typical balcony would end with another divider. The rest is all bonus space.  Pardon my cigarette, this was from 2010 when you could smoke on the balcony LOL

image.png.07f9c14f8ead245c1c4199c4e0caf566.png

image.png

I've checked out these cabins while on Caribbean.  Apparently they were intended to be handicapped cabins but didn't meet the exact criteria. The beds are separate but I've read on CC that they can be put together, IF the steward knows how.  If so, it would leave a very narrow pathway to the toilet.  And there isn't much counter space in the bathroom if I remember correctly.  But it's got the elongated balcony as a plus.  I'd book it.

7 hours ago, BabsinTX said:

I've checked out these cabins while on Caribbean.  Apparently they were intended to be handicapped cabins but didn't meet the exact criteria. The beds are separate but I've read on CC that they can be put together, IF the steward knows how.  If so, it would leave a very narrow pathway to the toilet.  And there isn't much counter space in the bathroom if I remember correctly.  But it's got the elongated balcony as a plus.  I'd book it.

Interesting!!! Must be a matter of a few inches creating the difference between the CB and traditional grand class ships. Im aware of subtle differences between CB and other grand class ships but assumed Dolphin deck was unaffected. Add this to the list, I suppose! Thanks for the response & insight!!

13 hours ago, PMGS247 said:

Interesting!!! Must be a matter of a few inches creating the difference between the CB and traditional grand class ships. Im aware of subtle differences between CB and other grand class ships but assumed Dolphin deck was unaffected. Add this to the list, I suppose! Thanks for the response & insight!!

Actually, these cabins were also on the earlier grand class ships, but none but CB and Grand remain in the Princess fleet (Golden and Star now sail for P&O Australia).  There are a ton of pictures online.  I pinched a couple from cruisedeckplans.com.  I think the reason they could not be sold as HC cabins is that the entrance is from the little hallway aft and I’ve heard there was not adequate space to turn a scooter to get through the door.  
  I have seen pics of the beds turned to the side wall and one bed would not have a nightstand, and it would be a tight squeeze to the bathroom and to the living area.  In the second pic, the hallway door is open at the foot of the bed.

IMG_1815.jpeg

IMG_1816.jpeg

5 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

Actually, these cabins were also on the earlier grand class ships, but none but CB and Grand remain in the Princess fleet (Golden and Star now sail for P&O Australia).  There are a ton of pictures online.  I pinched a couple from cruisedeckplans.com.  I think the reason they could not be sold as HC cabins is that the entrance is from the little hallway aft and I’ve heard there was not adequate space to turn a scooter to get through the door.  
  I have seen pics of the beds turned to the side wall and one bed would not have a nightstand, and it would be a tight squeeze to the bathroom and to the living area.  In the second pic, the hallway door is open at the foot of the bed.

IMG_1815.jpeg

IMG_1816.jpeg

Wow yeah I had no idea the dimensions were restricted on the CB. On the emerald and Crown they are standard mini suites no different from

any other. I’m sure it’s only a matter of inches but enough to make the difference.