Vancouver - What to do before 3:30pm flight?

6 minutes ago, RedbirdFLCruiser said:

Our post-cruise flight in mid-August (on a Wednesday, if that matters) is at 3:24pm. We thought we'd get to the airport about 12:30pm-ish. What are some suggestions of things to do between debarking and heading to the airport?

Walk over to the Canada Line with your luggage and just go to the airport.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Walk over to the Canada Line with your luggage and just go to the airport.

Depending on how late we can debark, wouldn't that put us at the airport at around 10am? And I could be wrong, but I had heard that airlines won't let you check luggage more than 4 hours before a flight. We're on Delta aka Skywest.

We'd be fine heading to the airport unless we have to sit around prior to being able to check our luggage.

Edited by RedbirdFLCruiser
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, RedbirdFLCruiser said:

Depending on how late we can debark, wouldn't that put us at the airport at around 10am? And I could be wrong, but I had heard that airlines won't let you check luggage more than 4 hours before a flight. We're on Delta aka Skywest.

We'd be fine heading to the airport unless we have to sit around prior to being able to check our luggage.

Honestly, I just don't think there is much you can do with the time available and all you'll be thinking about is making sure you get to the airport in time to check luggage, go through CBP and security and hit the duty free!  I'd just make my way to the airport and cool my heels a bit until luggage check in is available.

Depending on how much luggage you have and your ability/willingness to haul it around with you, a quick trip into Gastown is possible.

Edited by d9704011
  • Like 2

YVR seems to have ramped back up to not far of pre-Covid numbers of pax, so yes it's almost a certainty that your bags cannot be checked more than 3 hours in advance - and if you're heading to the US, as I would guess from your home location @RedbirdFLCruiser it's even less likely you can get an early bag drop, as you must drop those yourself for pre-screening (no conveyor belt behind the check-in desks at YVR).

You've got ample time to do a thing or two; a luggage-friendly activity I can think of is riding FlyOverCanada right at the pier (if you know Soarin' at Disney, same tech but a longer ride over the way more beautiful Canadian landscape - given how many California-set shows are filmed here, you may recognize more of what you see on this ride than on the Disney one!!!) The film during the queue and the ride itself last about 30mins, often some queue time outside as well unless booked in advance for a specific time slot, so between walking along Canada Place to leaving the ride you might spend 45-60mins; if you do a double-ride package (Hawai'i ends today, but by August the next 'guest' ride should be operating) then add 30mins. They will hold bags while you are on the premises, and for a short discretionary time after (I've heard folks ask to leave them while they go walk the pier for photos, grab a coffee etc.)

Personally I'd consider just paying to store the bags though - the Pan Pacific hotel right upstairs will for less than the official pier storage, and since there's no obvious signs the queues are also much smaller! Without your bags you can easily go do whatever you like - pop over to North Van on the Seabus, rent bikes, visit art galleries/museums etc. or just pootle around the touristy areas without the hassle of your suitcases (sidewalks do get packed along Water Street, and the noise of tiny wheels clunking over the Ye Olde Worlde cobbles and brickwork we installed in the 70s gets wearing!)

Not knowing you or yours, which would be the best thing or two to do for you I can't help with - but with easily 4 hours available if you self-disembark you definitely have time to safely do some stuff before heading to YVR. Tripadvisor rankings are a good place to start - where local knowledge comes in handy is when you have a short list you're interested in, when those of us familiar with locations and transportation can give you a better idea of the practicality of doing X, Y, or Z within your timeframe.

I'd personally be quite comfortable showing up 2 hours early for a flight mid-afternoon; so leaving downtown by SkyTrain or Cab approx 1pm. This would also let you do a thing or two then grab a cheaper lunch from a much wider selection of alternatives than at YVR - although they have expanded their dining options since TheBeforeTimes, so if you are more nervous travelers who want to be there a full 3 hours early and eat after security you'll find something...

• Thanks 1

If you want to shop there is an outlet mall very close to the airport.

If I were you, I would store luggage at the Pan Pacific then spend the morning exploring Gastown, go to Pacific Center (for shopping) or maybe go to the  Vancouver Aquarium in Stanley Park.  2-3 hours at the aquarium would be fun!

• Thanks 1