Specialty dining once onboard?

genma803

Hello, we booked our cruise to Bermuda on Joy only about 5 weeks before sailing. 🥴

As a result there were very specialty dining restaurant reservations available when we booked.

We were able to get one late night dining time at Le Bistro to use our included meal with The Free at Sea promotion but there were no reservations available for Cagney's or Ocean Blue, the two other places we are interested in trying, so we decided against buying an additional two specialty dinners per person in advance. We just didn't know if we'd be able to get once we want once on board.

Does anyone have experience with booking the specialty dining package on board and know if ends up being the same cost as prebooking ($69pp plus gratuity per person for two meals)? If so we will likely wait to see what reservations are available once we board.

TIA

I don't believe that you can get the upgrade offer for the extra two meals once onboard. I think that you will be charged the full rate.

Unless you are boarding late you should have no problem getting the reservations you want. They hold back a proportion (the exact proportion varies depending on who you talk to) for onboard booking. We have never had any trouble booking any that we need on embarkation day.

3 minutes ago, genma803 said:

Does anyone have experience with booking the specialty dining package on board and know if ends up being the same cost as prebooking ($69pp plus gratuity per person for two meals)? If so we will likely wait to see what reservations are available once we board.

As soon as you embark, head to The Social Comedy Club (Deck 6 Midship) and book your entertainment. Main theater shows including Footloose and Elements open for online bookings 21 days prior to departure, 12 midnight eastern time (at the same time you log on to check in and select your port check-in time). Comedy shows can only be booked onboard. 

Once you have your entertainment sorted out, head across the hall to Teppanyaki (Deck 6 Mid-ship) to make your dinner reservations. 

By completing your entertainment first, you can avoid conflicts with dining. 

But, be forewarned that prime time dining reservations at popular restaurant will sell out quickly onboard, especially on sea days. So, do your reservations as soon as you embark. 

Enjoy the Joy, she's a beautiful ship!

• Like 2

On 4/23/2023 at 4:57 AM, genma803 said:

Hello, we booked our cruise to Bermuda on Joy only about 5 weeks before sailing. 🥴

As a result there were very specialty dining restaurant reservations available when we booked.

We were able to get one late night dining time at Le Bistro to use our included meal with The Free at Sea promotion but there were no reservations available for Cagney's or Ocean Blue, the two other places we are interested in trying, so we decided against buying an additional two specialty dinners per person in advance. We just didn't know if we'd be able to get once we want once on board.

TIA

Personally I would pay for the upgrade before the cruise (when it will be cheaper).  I imagine you’ll be able to get in for either place, if not both, if you go straight to Teppanyaki after boarding.  If you can’t get reservations for either place, I would ask Guest Services for a refund immediately that day. I’m not sure if they would allow it, but I also do think you have a good chance of getting into one of your choice restaurants.