Anyone married in St Thomas?

Congrats Chicaletta! You might want to scroll through these wedding boards - there are many previous posts about those two specific wedding locations on St Thomas that you are considering. icon_smile.gif Marrying in the USVI on a cruise is the perfect way to go!!! (The find feature will also help, but there are only about 6-7 pages of threads so it's pretty quick to eyeball those topics too.)

~ Mandy

NCL Sky 12/2000 - Western Caribbean

Celebrity Galaxy 12/2001 - Southern Caribbean

S/S Norway 03/2003 wedding cruise - Eastern Caribbean

~~~~ Married on the beach in St John! ~~~~

HAL ms Maasdam 11/23/2003 - Western Caribbean

Thanks willingham74. Been scanning through boards and everyone has great things said about both. Looks like I'll be doing eenie meenie minnie moe....I have a feeling either one will be great. Leaning a little towards bluebeards though, because of the trees...but then I think barefoot in the sand..hmmmm

Star Princess 11/14/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;11;14;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Chicaletta----I am getting married at Hawksnest Beach on St John while in port at St Thomas (9-13-04). You might want to check out this website. St John is much less commercial than St Thomas...depends on the type of wedding you want. Hope it helps...Best Wishes!!

Nancy

stjohnweddings.com

Denise... I can second Nancy, as we too married on St John (Hawksnest). If you are not totally set on those two specific locations on St Thomas, there are lots of wedding locations to choose from on St Thomas and St John (20-minute ferry ride) as well as many wedding coordinators to choose from between the two islands. This is the review from my wedding with links to coordinator, photographer, videographer, florist, minister, cake chef, etc. Just keep your options open because there is a finite number of vendors that live on the two islands - and many times they travel between the two islands to do weddings (we had about half our vendors from St Thomas and half from St John). The wedding coordinators end up overlapping on who they use for the various services since there are not that any to choose from.

~ Mandy

Mandy--I do have a question for you. I have long hair and am kind of wondering if I need to plan to put it up somehow. Was your beach wedding windy coming off the ocean? I cannot wait for Sept to get here!! and this is my third time around.....and LAST time!!! Third time IS a charm!!!

Nancy

We got married in St. Thomas, It was the most beautiful Wedding ever. The beach, the sun and the Lizards. Im not sure why people spend a fortune on a Wedding. This was Fabulous.

Stacey

Serenade of the Seas 2004

There was not really any wind on the north shore beaches of St John. Wind is mostly on the south/east sides. In fact, if staying in the Concordia ecotents south of Coral Bay, you are relying on the tradewinds to cool you at night as you sleep (and the waves crashing below to rock you to sleep!). The southern part of St John is more desert-like (has cactus) while the northern part is more tropical/lush. Kinda weird for such a small island! No problems with wind on Hawksnest for us... or the week we vacationed there. Didn't really notice wind when we visited the various north shore beaches. icon_smile.gif

~ Mandy

Congrats Chicaletta,

I just got married last week at Bluebeard's Beach Club and loved every minute of it. We cruised on Celebrity Century with 46 of our closest friends and relatives.

The private beach (underline private) is right behind the grassy area where we got married, I am sure if it is a small party they can set it up on the sand there too if you want. I visited Magen's bay while we were there and although it was absolutely beautiful if you were looking out toward the water, the other scenery(green picinic benches and tons of tourists) were not for me. I got very high reviews of Bluebeard's from all of the guests and we took pictures barefoot in the sand after the ceremony. As a side note, I highly recommend our wedding coordinator Cheryl Toner(viweddings.com) Good luck!

If you have any questions or would like some pics of the sites you can email me at kaymay00@hotmail.com

Kaymay, I am so happy to hear what you said because I ended up deciding on Bluebeards beach club. I am using Cheryl Toner also and she is just great. The final decision I made because it is just my fiance and myself and I liked the idea of having Pictures with the trees and flowers, then doing the barefoot in the sand pictures also. I didn't know it was a private beach, which makes it all the better. This site is so helpful, it really has made my decision making easier. Everyone is so helpful with their experiences, likes and dislikes. It makes me feel alot less precautious about my choices.

Star Princess 11/14/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;11;14;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Congrats on your wedding KayMay!! Many happy memories to last a lifetime! icon_smile.gif

I did not know Bluebeard's was now private. I had read that all beaches in the USVI are public per USVI law. (Source: http://www.*****/stthomas/beaches_stt/) We had also done a timeshare tour of Bluebeard's 11/2002 and noticed very few people on the beach, commented about that, and were told by our timeshare rep that even though all beaches were public, not many people come to that beach unless staying there (which makes it appealling to purchase one of their timeshares). Thanks for the insight in the change - we are headed back on a land-vacation this summer and always visit different beaches each day when we go. We've also been to the Sapphire resort beach (STT) and the Westin beach on St John. We want to visit the beaches at the Caneel Resort (St John) this summer if still public like in the past. icon_confused.gif

Bluebeard's is definitely a lovely beach! I think the only beach we have not been impressed with yet is Maho on St John - too "thin" and very close to the road with almost no parking available. But we loved the seagrape trees outlining Hawksnest at our wedding! icon_smile.gif

Chicaletta - See if Cheryl will let you know exactly which vendors she is choosing for photography, videography, etc - and then you can view their websites on the internet to learn a little more of what to expect.

~ Mandy

Mandy,

I may be mistaken about the "private" part. I had heard that it was a beach just for the hotel, but I did no research on the subject. I can say that there was no one on the beach during our ceremony (at 3:00pm). There were two lounge chairs about 50 feet to the right of the ceremony spot but it was hidden by the palm trees and the curve of the beach.

On a separate note, I did look at your pictures and you had a beautiful location too icon_smile.gif

I will get some pictures up as soon as I can.

Karen

Thanks Karen - I'm headed back in July and we didn't get to see the seven beaches at Caneel in St John, so I almost got worried that the resort beaches had gone private! We had our engagement pics taken on Westin's beach even though we didn't stay there - which was nice to be able to do. I had seen a great special on the Travel chanel, and it was all on Caneel - so we are excited to see it in person. I was almost worried things had changed since we were there - but hopefully I'll find out soon! icon_smile.gif

Yes - please get your pics up! We did the timeshare tour there -they came down as low as $7500 on one unit, but we passed on it. Knowing how much real estate prices have been increasing in the USVI, that might have been a mistake on our part. Even the Maho ecotents on St John are on leased land, and the lease expires in 2012. The real estate in the area has skyrocketed, and they don't think that the lease renewal price will be anything near affordable - so the ecotents days at Maho may be numbered. (Fortunately, the owner bought a piece of land south of Coral Bay and has started a sister property - now has 11 tents - but Maho is a legend.)

About six months ago I came across an online ad of a wedding coordinator selling her business - and I was all set to sell my house, let hubby move in with his old roommate, and me move to St Thomas (he would join later when he found a job). Unfortunately she had withdrawn her offer to sell her business and it had not been removed from the internet, but I still keep my eyes open!! icon_smile.gif I've played flute in so many weddings, love the USVI - which is why I keep popping up on this board. That would be a dream job for me.

Again, many congrats on your wedding! We have not been back since our's, but we plan to order a small wedding cake replica of our's from the same chef and eat it on the beach we married on. You will have the same future trips to look forward to! icon_smile.gif

~ Mandy

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

David and I are getting married Nov. 24 on St. Thomas. We are cruising in on Costa. I have been looking at sites for two days now and stumbled on this thread. I am so happy!!!! You have all been so helpful, just reading what you have posted! I appreciate it! After reading, I think Bluebeard's Beach will be the way to go, and had no idea who to go with. Thanks for the advice!:p

Congrats on your upcoming wedding. I think no matter what location you choose you will be extremelly happy with the USVI. As another poster said, it all depends on what kind of wedding you are looking for.

DH and I were married at Caneel Bay on St. John (and honeymooned there as well) and I HIGHLY recommend it -- very secluded and private and the wedding location -- WOW! It is on a grassy knoll/cliff overlooking Turtle Bay Beach with the BVI in the background-- very etheral, private, stunning. I would also recommend Rev Anne Marie Porter as your minister if you are going with a minister.

Again, congrats and I'm sure you will be happy with any/all the locations.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Anyone had a problem with their marriage licsence in St-Thomas....friends of ours didn't get all their papers in and not sure how they found out ... but had lots of problem ..

anyone encoutered things like that

ty

Hi, We got married in St Thomas on a cruise. I found our minister on the internet and he had me get in touch with the St Thomas courthouse. They sent me all the forms I needed. They post all the marriage notices on the bulletin board 8 days prior to the wedding. Our minister went to check to make sure everything was in order for us. We stopped by the courthouse on the way to Magens Bay for the wedding. We signed the papers and were out in 10 minutes. It was truly painless but you have to do your homework. :)

H Dabert, I didn't do that search since my husband had never been to St. Thomas. :D I would certainly think that the St. Thomas court house would have those records just like at home. They are afterall public records. I was brand new on the computer when I was making our arrangements and didn't even think to do a search. Actually, you now have my cuiosity up. I think I'll do that right now. :D

Hi brigittetom,

Sorry didn't mean to get you worry..... but how do St-Thomas know if you were married or not if your from another country .....other then the paper they asked you to bring...lol I mean how do they check or they just go on peoples honesty.

Bob

Hi Dabert, I tried to do a check last night just for fun and found a good site but I couldn't even pull up the information on our own marriage. They don't do any background checks though and if you think about it, our local courthouse wouldn't do any checks either. They just take your word for it and assume that you are abiding by the law. You make me curious on what you are planning. :D

Archived