Live: Beyond TA: April 23 - MAY 7; 8 Day Adriatic: May 7 - May 15 & Sorrento

Lastdance

So, off we went with our compass and great walking shoes, even though the bus was available.  3 1/2 miles and we were into the city of Barcelona, as we already visited several times in the past.  Our favorite statue, Christopher Columbus our guide for the day...

The Columbus Monument(197 ft) tall monument  is located at the lower end of LaRambla.   It was constructed for in honor of Columbus’ first voyage to the Americas. The monument serves as a reminder that Christopher Columbus reported to Queen Isabella and King Ferdinand who financed his journey.  A few additional photos of the area...

IMG_1916.jpeg

IMG_1920.jpeg

IMG_1921.jpeg

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 2

A great story...while wondering around, we came upon a unique and historical area where a very nice woman came to talk with us.  She asked us in Spanish if we were at least 60.  We replied yes, as we both have grey/silver hair; she proceeded to tell us where there was a little "meeting place" that had free coffee, tea and water, along with bathrooms. Even though we were Americans, it was available to anyone 60 or over. How perfect a stop just when we needed it.  The chairs were bright lime green Just a few pics of the surrounding area with a great little mercado very close by.  This beautiful area is the El Born Cultural area.  Nothing like looking at the ruins inside!Image5-4-23at4_15PM.thumb.jpeg.2d4902f2f544fe84c72fc8b09968459c.jpeg

IMG_1923.jpeg

IMG_1924.jpeg

IMG_1922.jpeg

IMG_1919.jpeg

IMG_1918.jpeg

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 2

We had a reservation for Eden this evening...I loved my mushroom risotto; but my filet was just okay.  Fine Cut hit it out of the park, so Eden really had a foul ball with dinner tonight.  otherwise, all our food has been yummy!  Dessert was good!

IMG_1931.jpeg

IMG_1933.jpeg

IMG_1934.jpeg

IMG_1935.jpeg

IMG_1936.jpeg

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 1

Tomorrow is Marseille, France, a port that is new for us on this itinerary.  the forecast for 5/5/23 is a high of 73 with partly cloudy skies.

IMG_1953.jpeg

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 1

This was our first time in Marseille, France.  Our main interest was to visit the famous Cathedralathedra, Notre Dame de la Garde; it did not disappoint, but getting there took forever. The city is very densely populated and the infrastructure is lacking.  Anyway, it took us about 40+ minutes from Old Town.  The view was worth it and the workmanship exquisite.

IMG_1982.jpeg

IMG_1992.jpeg

IMG_1994.jpeg

IMG_1989.jpeg

IMG_1987.jpeg

IMG_1968.jpeg

IMG_1970.jpeg

IMG_1973.jpeg

• Like 6

Unfortunately, getting back to Old Town was difficult, at best.  Let’s just say that the bullies were out in full force and tried to distract us by their yelling and claims that we were pushing small children and those in strollers out of the way; basically, one does all the loud talking and gets others to join in attacking you for what one person claims.  Long story short, those joining in keep it up.  One man pushed me, as my DH was about 15 ft away.  I was able to get to him and share what had just happened and the person responsible.  when he confronted the man, him and his friend just yelled, but basically backed off.  They try to separate you and get others to believe whatever they are saying.  Through all of this, I lost my sunglasses...Maui Jims.  Yes, I had to defend myself against these disrespectful people, as it was part of my being vigilant training.  This situation was very draining, but no one was able to take my purse or DH’s backpack!  I guess we looked old and helpless with our silver hair!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Suzy and Gary,

So sorry y'all had to endure the jerks.  I guess punks are everywhere.  Hopefully, the good times will make you forget this encounter. 

Edited by Texed
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It was just wonderful to port in LaSpezia and take the train to Cinque Terre this morning.  All the stress from yesterday in Marseille just melted away.  I just love Italy!  Hope you enjoy a few. photos from our visit.  My phone has more to add...

IMG_2033.jpeg

IMG_2036.jpeg

IMG_2009.jpeg

IMG_2039.jpeg

IMG_2034.jpeg

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Lastdance said:

It was just wonderful to port in LaSpezia and take the train to Cinque Terre this morning.  All the stress from yesterday in Marseille just melted away.  I just love Italy!  Hope you enjoy a few. photos from our visit.  My phone has more to add...

IMG_2033.jpeg

IMG_2036.jpeg

IMG_2009.jpeg

IMG_2039.jpeg

IMG_2034.jpeg

IMG_2027.thumb.jpeg.23a5574b499bf3606138d18bfcfa72c6.jpeg

IMG_2030.jpeg

IMG_2021.jpeg

IMG_2026.jpeg

IMG_2016.jpeg

IMG_2015.jpeg

IMG_2012.jpeg

IMG_2011.jpeg

• Like 11

On 5/2/2023 at 2:04 PM, Lastdance said:

So, I have never had a Martini before; my first was a coconut/chocolate Martini pictured below:

IMG_1861.jpeg

So a purist would say that that is just a cocktail served in a martini glass. Martinis do not have anything with sugar in it. 🤪. Gin or vodka and some vermouth. But enjoy!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

First, we are very happy to still be onboard; I told some of the crew that I refused to get off.

So, we were told that there were suites available and that we could move; however, the price was the end, or highest price on Move-Up with no negotiation, not to mention very forward.  I did not put in a Move-Up option because prices started so high just to bid.  Actually, we are three cabins down from our suite with a great balcony!  Suites for 8 days were more than I paid for 14 days…and that’s perfectly okay.

I have attached a combination of photos from yesterday evening and today.

IMG_2055.jpeg

IMG_2056.jpeg

IMG_2057.jpeg

IMG_2051.jpeg

IMG_2050.jpeg

IMG_2041.jpeg

IMG_2043.jpeg

IMG_2052.jpeg

IMG_2053.jpeg

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 4

On 5/5/2023 at 9:49 AM, Lastdance said:

Unfortunately, getting back to Old Town was difficult, at best.  Let’s just say that the bullies were out in full force and tried to distract us by their yelling and claims that we were pushing small children and those in strollers out of the way; basically, one does all the loud talking and gets others to join in attacking you for what one person claims.  Long story short, those joining in keep it up.  One man pushed me, as my DH was about 15 ft away.  I was able to get to him and share what had just happened and the person responsible.  when he confronted the man, him and his friend just yelled, but basically backed off.  They try to separate you and get others to believe whatever they are saying.  Through all of this, I lost my sunglasses...Maui Jims.  Yes, I had to defend myself against these disrespectful people, as it was part of my being vigilant training.  This situation was very draining, but no one was able to take my purse or DH’s backpack!  I guess we looked old and helpless with our silver hair!

What? This is a thing?

Presently, the rain has stopped, but still very cloudy; sad that it was this way through the Strait of Messina, dividing line between the boot and Sicily, along with Italian culture too!

IMG_2073.jpeg

IMG_2071.jpeg

IMG_2070.jpeg

The OVC for lunch has a French theme….loved my coffee crème brûlée and fresh strawberry cake to brighton this dreary day.  Also, our butler and retreat concierge are still taking good care of us even in our SV; our prior room attendant too!  Shhhhh!  Just Wow…yes, both of us hit the gym earlier in the morning…

IMG_2075.jpeg

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 1

Comparing life in the Retreat to that of an SV on Beyond is very different, but on other ships, not as much.  The profound attention to detail in the Retreat is phenomenal…just so special and personal.  The very best Retreat cruise I have ever had; however, it should be based on the price too.  It is really best not to compare because they are both so different, but in all good ways for the price point of each.  Where you cruise, IMHO, is also very important.

Edited by Lastdance

5 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

Comparing life in the Retreat to that of an SV on Beyond is very different, but on other ships, not as much.  The profound attention to detail in the Retreat is phenomenal…just so special and personal.  The very best Retreat cruise I have ever had; however, it should be based on the price too.  It is really best not to compare because they are both so different, but in all good ways for the price point of each.  Where you cruise, IMHO, is also very important.

We have SV's booked for several upcoming cruises on the Beyond (and Reflection) - so we are very interested in your comments. The Suites were just too much for our retirement budget.

• Like 2

On 5/5/2023 at 3:49 PM, Lastdance said:

I was here a few times (not on a cruise) and to be honest I was totally turned off ever going back. We've been researching some Med cruises for next year, but if Marseille is on the itinerary we discount it immediately. Your post has shown me that is the right approach.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Ramsgate23 said:

I was here a few times (not on a cruise) and to be honest I was totally turned off ever going back. We've been researching some Med cruises for next year, but if Marseille is on the itinerary we discount it immediately. Your post has shown me that is the right approach.  

Another idea is to just stay onboard; we entertained that thought, but did not choose wisely!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

Another idea is to just stay onboard; we entertained that thought, but did not choose wisely!

Another option is booking an excursion inland a few miles.  Very nice.  😊

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Texed said:

Yes!!!  They have a beautiful national park area!  Calanques…isn’t hindsight always 20/20?  I am not a city girl at all, so this was a huge mistake that is under my ownership!

Edited by Lastdance

9 minutes ago, Texed said:

We visited Aix-en-Provence last fall which was nice during our port stop at Toulon.  It is also inland a few miles, I mean kilometers, from Marseille.

• Like 2