Recommendation for Alaska 3rd party excursions? Internet/Specialty Dining discountable?

ecgz88

First time been to Holland America, Just wondering is there any recommendation for Alaska 3rd party excursions? My ship will go to Ketchikan Skagway Juneau, I have been to all of them during last year Carnival Cruise so really don't have any solid plan now.

I checked the 7 day Internet $125, do they ever put this on any promotion/discount? RCL used to offer a sale for internet/SPECIALTY DINING plan every few months, don't know if this is a thing with Holland America?

Any official schedule on which boat will get Starlinks?

Thanks!

3 hours ago, ecgz88 said:

Just wondering is there any recommendation for Alaska 3rd party excursions? My ship will go to Ketchikan Skagway Juneau, I have been to all of them during last year Carnival Cruise

We used the HAL excursions, so I can't recommend 3rd party, but I just want to mention a favorite: in Ketchikan there is an excursion to walk in an area where black bears are often catching salmon a few feet below, and ends at the Alaska Rainforest Sanctuary. Maybe there's a similar 3rd party doing it. We were really lucky, as you see in the video. One of the more expensive excursions was a real favorite: we did a helicopter that took us to walk on the Mendenhall Glacier. I figured, when am I ever going to do that?  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Koningsdam just got Starlink when in drydock within the last month or so. We're booked on Koningsdam for the 7-day Inside Passage cruise with same ports-of-call. Our cruise is round-trip out Vancouver embarking 7/8/2023. We may will wait until onboard to pay for the basic internet at $15 per day for 1 device at a time as found in the HAL FAQ section (7x$15=$105 total for 7 days if there is no discount for this number of days). Otherwise, the Premium Internet Plan is available on our booking for a prepay price of $127.99 which isn't much more.

It will be interesting to see if the Starlink is more reliable than the spotty service we experienced on the Eurodam, a year ago in Alaska.

Jeff and Lisa

• Like 1

If you didn't do whale watching on your previous trip, do that in Juneau. Look for a vendor with small boats, not the double-deckers that are crammed with people. Gastineau Guiding is excellent. Sometimes the ship offers good options. Don't rule out all ship tours, just choose carefully.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

+1 vote for Gastineau. We used them last summer when in Juneau and loved it! Saw at least a dozen whales during the 2 hours we were on the water. Their boats are specially made specific for whale watching with glass sides that can be opened up and gives everyone on-board a wonderful close view. 

We actually did the "Whales tales and Glacier trails" trip which also included a stroll through the forest to the glacier lookout. The brochure calls it a hike, but other than fact that the path a forest trail, I didn't break a sweat or even start breathing hard! Much less exercise than I was expecting with the word "hike" but still very enjoyable. 

whale3.jpg

tongass3.jpg

tongass2.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dawnvip said:

+1 vote for Gastineau. We used them last summer when in Juneau and loved it! Saw at least a dozen whales during the 2 hours we were on the water. Their boats are specially made specific for whale watching with glass sides that can be opened up and gives everyone on-board a wonderful close view. 

We actually did the "Whales tales and Glacier trails" trip which also included a stroll through the forest to the glacier lookout. The brochure calls it a hike, but other than fact that the path a forest trail, I didn't break a sweat or even start breathing hard! Much less exercise than I was expecting with the word "hike" but still very enjoyable. 

Thank you! Just checked Gastineau, looks like they are only bookable through Cruise website, I try to  book through Tripadvisor website (had some discount want to use it) but not bookable. 

Gastineau may be contracted with the cruise line. Read the descriptions for the ship tours and then read descriptions on Gastineau's site. Cruise lines often pick up the text directly, so you can figure out the vendors fairly easily. Contact Gastineau and see if they're doing anything with your cruise. 

I've done the whale watch and hike (I agree, it's a walk in the woods, not a strenuous hike) and I've done the photo safari. That one is expensive, but it's a very small group and the photographer on my trip was excellent. There were 3 or 4 people who had a "good" camera and had no idea how to use it as anything but an automatic point-and-shoot. He was really helpful with those folks, explainign shutter speed, depth-of-field, etc. I've had a camera since I was 8, so I didn't need lessons on basic photography, but I picked up some good tips on settings to choose for various situations. 

• Like 1