A FEW ships heading to Europe

Royal_Cruise_Bear

On 4/30/2023 at 2:31 AM, Lastdance said:

I love Europe; have not been in the Caribbean for decades, but December 1, I have a 10 day southern Caribbean on Beyond.  Also, I am currently on her at the moment; we could not dock in Azores due to bad weather!

Caribbean is too hot and humid for me. I saw Capt Kate's instagram post of the harbor pilot boat coming along side and taking the harbor pilot off.  YIKES. Somebody asked in the comments why Capt Dimitrios didn't have them approach Beyond on the leeward side. Capt Kate said that WAS the leeward side.

Edited by Cruising Is Bliss

On 4/30/2023 at 1:37 AM, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Never understood the fascination with cruising the Caribbean. It’s the last place I would cruise

For many it's all about beaches and booze and isn't about the actual destination and/or culture.  Many simply love nothing more than to park their butts on a lounger on a tropical beach at every port.  Also so many cruisers live within driving distance to all florida embarkation ports; quick and easy to just drive there and not deal with the whole airport experience especially compared to flying internationally to somewhere like Europe

It should also be noted that the majority who book AI land resorts never leave the resort; again all about the "beaches and booze

often new ships start in Europe and then come to the Fla area.

That is when I like to try them and not pay a lot for airfare.

This year all cities are about 2k (London, Copenhagen, Rome, Barcelona etc)

so FLA it is for seeing new ships for me. Doing the Ascent in  Nov 2024

On 4/30/2023 at 4:37 AM, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Never understood the fascination with cruising the Caribbean. It’s the last place I would cruise

Not many other places Americans without passports can go. And it is cheaper if you have to fly, and a lot cheaper when you live within 4 hours drive of 4 ports. The airfare for my Norway cruise out of Amsterdam last year was 2k more than the cruise (nice hump balcony on jewel, 9 nights)

p.s. I have a passport, and hope to be back in Europe for 2-3 weeks next year. Alaska out of Vancouver this month. Which is almost as far as Europe..... And will find some cheap balcony trips later this year out of Florida just to get a cruise or 2 in.

We just took our first Caribbean cruise in ten years.  We tagged it on B2B before our Silhouette TA, mainly because it didn’t involve extra air fare and was an escape from cold Canadian weather.  We didn’t have any complaints about the cruise, but doubt if we will cruise in the Caribbean again.

For us, cruising is about seeing new and interesting places.  Europe and Asia offer that.  The TA was a relaxing way to arrive in Europe without jet lag and enjoy time with family in UK and Germany.

Apart from those who cruise just to be on a ship, I think there is an attraction to different places.  North Americans see Europe as different and exciting, while Europeans feel the same about the Caribbean.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

For those that may be interested in seeing a graph showing the deployment schedule for each ship in Celebrity's fleet.  Among the 7 ships that just headed across the Atlantic to Europe there are two that are not doing a return transatlantic this coming fall.

Celebrity Fleet Deployment Chart

• Like 1