Things to do in Juneau with car rental

shakuyi

Shrine of St. Therese, Douglas Island, Alaska Brewery, Mendenhall and NOAA.  NOAA does a great tour for free.  Shrine of St. Therese is beautiful (a place I would get married if I had it to do all over again).  Kicking back at Alaska Brewery and sampling was a great way to end the day (as long as one person refrains to be the designated driver).  

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/9/2023 at 2:06 PM, jerseygirlinAZ said:

We, too, went to Costco, lol, but it was not a planned excursion.  Worker said it is the smallest Costco in the world.

I’m so glad we’re not the only ones who plan Costco as part of our visit. 

• 1 year later...
17 minutes ago, MississippiMom said:

What a GREAT thread, as I research excursion options for August 2025.

We just booked another Alaskan for cruise in June 2025, so it's been nice to re-read this thread.  We plan to rent a car again

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jerseygirlinAZ said:

We just booked another Alaskan for cruise in June 2025, so it's been nice to re-read this thread.  We plan to rent a car again

Who did you rent your car through?  I know lots recommend Turo, but I’m hoping we can take advantage of my husband’s corporate discounts or our AARP discounts.  Or the discounts from that big box store you visited 😜.

4 hours ago, MississippiMom said:

Who did you rent your car through?  I know lots recommend Turo, but I’m hoping we can take advantage of my husband’s corporate discounts or our AARP discounts.  Or the discounts from that big box store you visited 😜.

We rented with Avis because they had a location just a short walk from the port.  It was a little pricey, but we figured we'd pay for the convenience and the opportunity to get out and hit some of the popular sites quicker that the tour buses.  Worked out fabulously and we plan to rent from them again.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, jerseygirlinAZ said:

We rented with Avis because they had a location just a short walk from the port.  It was a little pricey, but we figured we'd pay for the convenience and the opportunity to get out and hit some of the popular sites quicker that the tour buses.  Worked out fabulously and we plan to rent from them again.

I did notice that on the AvisAlaska website they were quick to point out that they were locally owned.  I was hoping that might be one way to both support local while possibly using an Avis corporate rate.  Our cruise dates are slightly less than a year away, so our dates to book things aren't available in most cases, but will be soon.  I am hoping to get all of my deposits down as quickly as possible.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/16/2024 at 9:20 AM, MississippiMom said:

I did notice that on the AvisAlaska website they were quick to point out that they were locally owned.  I was hoping that might be one way to both support local while possibly using an Avis corporate rate.  Our cruise dates are slightly less than a year away, so our dates to book things aren't available in most cases, but will be soon.  I am hoping to get all of my deposits down as quickly as possible.

Sadly, Avis doesn't open their cruiseport location until later in the season - we're there in early May.  Does anyone know if there are UBER's from the port to the airport in Juneau?  I tried finding one on the app and got "nothing available".

10 hours ago, Vaxine said:

Sadly, Avis doesn't open their cruiseport location until later in the season - we're there in early May.  Does anyone know if there are UBER's from the port to the airport in Juneau?  I tried finding one on the app and got "nothing available".

I believe so.  I know others from our previous cruise ubered from the port to the airport to rent cars.