Allergies on WS: Gluten free in particular

suefrankw

HI All, could find no info here on gluten free on O so wondering if someone could provide info.. I just off Azamara and they were spectacular with my gluten free need. went over and above..Celebrity not so good..... anyone have allergy experiences in O?

I am a seasoned cruiser (over 50 cruises on many lines) so know about notifying them and meeting when on board... just looking for someone that has actual experience with an allergy on O. Would really like to try their line.

thanks so much. all info is appreciated.

Edited by suefrankw
correction

I think you may be on the wrong board if you are looking for Wind star info.  Now I have heard that Oceania is very good about gluten free and food allergies.  Our daughter is gluten free and while she may not cruise with us we always check it out.  

Plenty here will chime in for Oceania but you may need to post another thread for Windstar.

Good luck.

4 minutes ago, suefrankw said:

HI All, could find no info here on gluten free on Windstar  so wondering if someone could provide info.. I just off Azamara and they were spectacular with my gluten free need. went over and above..Celebrity not so good..... anyone have allergy experiences in WS?

I Am a seasoned cruiser (over 50 cruises on many lines) so know about notifying them and meeting when on board... just looking for someone that has actual experience with an allergy on WS. Would really like to try their line.

thanks so much. all info is appreciated.

Edited by Woofa

I am both gluten and lactose intolerant and Oceania does a wonderful job in accommodating any dietary requirements. First, contact your TA or Oceania directly and let them know- this will be added to your profile.

When you get on board, there will be a letter from the Chef/Dining Room Manager? requesting that you contact them to discuss. On our cruise last September, while we were having lunch, the Dining Room Manager approached us and asked me to contact him at my convenience to review my dietary needs. I was given a menu every evening, requesting that I make my dinner selections for the next day and bring it to the Dining Desk by 10am the following day- worked out great.

I also travel with these cards, available in multiple languages- I make my own template, add the foods to avoid and distribute them to restaurants. I gave these cards to the Oceania Dining Room Manager and he appreciated it.   https://equaleats.com/

• Like 2

Overall O is good regarding GF but if you dine in the Terrace Cafe (buffet) you have to ask regarding each dish. Usually the servers don’t know if something is GF and will go to check with the chef. Wastes a lot of time.

Edited by Classiccruiser777

9 hours ago, Classiccruiser777 said:

Overall O is good regarding GF but if you dine in the Terrace Cafe (buffet) you have to ask regarding each dish. Usually the servers don’t know if something is GF and will go to check with the chef. Wastes a lot of time.

This is true. 2 things to add - if you want your GDR pre order in Terrace just ask. Once I was told no, all other times the answer was yes (total of maybe 5 asks over 11 cruises).

Second, you get to know the chef :classic_biggrin: They can often (but not always) make a GF version of an item whose buffet version isn't GF. 

Random aside, if you like soy sauce on your sushi bring your own GF version - it usually isn't available. 

One last thought, since COVID (3 cruises/4 segments so far) they now have a designated special diet person as part of dining staff. This does help and reflects an increased awareness/focus on O's part although aside from recognition it's hard to put my finger on any specific change that the diner sees. ETA they do now call you ahead of time to arrange a substitute if you select something that won't work. Used to be they told you only after you were seated in the dining room. 

I am celiac and now 15 yrs gluten free

Edited by babysteps