Potential first timer questions on dress expectations plus a question re language

summerclouds

My husband and I have found our perfect itinerary,  “From Malta to the Adriatic Coast”  on Ponant.   As potential first-timers, I’ve tried to do some research and reading, so I think I understand some of what to expect as English speakers on Ponant, but wonder if English-language stations and movies are available on the tv system in the room?

Also, we are trying to get a handle on ship-board etiquette/culture.  We understand that at dinner we should plan on dressing up, but are blue jeans acceptable at breakfast and lunch and in the bars and around ship during the day?

At dinner in the Grill, would my husband be ok with dockers and a collared shirt, or would a jacket be needed?

What about dinner in the Gastronomic Restaurant?  

Thank you, (and thank you JazzBeau for the answer to my earlier question on our tentative room)

Looks like a nice itinerary! Haven't been on L'Austral yet so don't know the difference between the MDR and the Gastronomic Restaurant.

4 minutes ago, summerclouds said:

We understand that at dinner we should plan on dressing up, but are blue jeans acceptable at breakfast and lunch and in the bars and around ship during the day?

Yes - we wear casual clothes around the ship all day. Even shorts and T-shirts are fine for dining in the MDR, if appropriate for the ambient weather. We were just in Indonesia with Ponant last month and it was hot, so casual clothing was appropriate.

6 minutes ago, summerclouds said:

I think I understand some of what to expect as English speakers on Ponant, but wonder if English-language stations and movies are available on the tv system in the room?

I've never turned the TV on in our stateroom in two Ponant cruises. But as an Anglophone who also speaks two other languages (not French), Chris has never felt out of place on Ponant. I can speak plenty of French if necessary, but it isn't a requirement. You can do just fine if you only speak English. @AussieBoyTX has a thread about this on these forums. I'm too lazy to search for it as it's too close to my bedtime...

7 minutes ago, summerclouds said:

At dinner in the Grill, would my husband be ok with dockers and a collared shirt, or would a jacket be needed?

Jacket not required. Dockers and collared shirt are more than sufficient.

Hope that you enjoy your cruise!

• Like 2

In the room, you do have a couple of selections in English -- BBC News for sure. And there are several movies and documentaries in English. Some of the ones that are only in French have English subtitles. 

As for dress, we're talking about Summer in the Adriatic, so expect to dress appropriately for the climate. If your husband wanted, he certainly could even wear shorts and a T-shirt at breakfast & lunch and at the bar and around the ship. It may be less dressy than some, but he will not be alone. Jeans are fine.

At jacket really isn't *required* at dinner in either restaurant. I believe this itinerary is on l'Austral? If so, I wouldn't hesitate at all to wear a collared shirt & dockers at the Grille. Even a polo would be fine.

At the Gastronomic Restaurant, people do dress up more. I usually wear a jacket out of habit, but if it's hot, I'll skip the jacket and just wear a collared shirt and dress pants. The only time I personally feel obligated to wear a jacket is for the Gala dinners. But even then, it's more my personal choice than any requirement Ponant has. (And if he wears a jacket with open collar, he'll be pretty much in the middle of what the other men are wearing.)

Edited by AussieBoyTX
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Looks like a nice itinerary! Haven't been on L'Austral yet so don't know the difference between the MDR and the Gastronomic Restaurant.

The gastronomic restaurants are similar. On the Sisterships, it's on Deck 2, right above the waterline. 

The grille restaurants on the Sisterships are indoors on Deck 6. Everything is served buffet-style and though the menu is similar to the gastronomic restaurant, it has some unique items, like a carving station. In any event, its ambiance is very casual. Dockers & polo seem very appropriate for this grille.

For others' benefit, the grille on the Explorers is outdoors on Deck 3 between the bar and the pool. In the summer, it can be blazing hot, so regardless of the dress code, I'd definitely dress for comfort. For me, that's definitely no jacket at this grille.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

We cruised on Le Bougainville for 16 days in March, and are committed “carry on only” travelers. The cruise was one leg of a 5 week trip, which included a safari. My husband didn’t have a jacket or tie and I brought a couple of casual dresses. We were fine. 

I watched some English language movies in the cabin, including The Godfather, but there were more enjoyable things to do onboard - especially making friends with French people by butchering their language. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2