Zaandam to Alaska-1st timer

mimi6

We will be taking our first HAL cruise in June to Alaska. We have cruised Carnival once. I have a few questions about our ship-the Zaandam.

What are some special features of the ship? places to best view scenery, is the Pinnacle Dining recommended, laundry/cleaning prices, are fruit and flowers provided in oceanview rooms, robes, etc.

We are really excited about our trip. I have spent a lot of time on these boards and have really learned a lot. Thanks for the help.

My favorite viewing spot is on the Lido Deck, aft. It's out of the wind, and I can see (most) all-around. Another great spot (but can be more than a bit windy) is on the bow.

Wherever you view the scenery from I recommend that you get outdoors and enjoy the grander view and fresh air.

Every cabin had fruit and robes. I'm a cave dweller and have never seen a flower in my cabin unless I provided it.

Zaandam has self-serve laundries; it's $2.00 to wash and $1.00 to dry (or reverse; I never remember). Bring your own dryer sheets; detergent is provided. You can also send out a bag---whatever you can stuff for $12. There should also be an "all you can send" for a set price. That price varies based on length of cruise; check the junk mail at boarding, or at the Front Desk for price. There's also a price-per-item rate. :eek:

Whatever else you do have a great time in The Great Land. You'll love it. :)

If you are fortunate enough to have sunny weather then any placwe on the Lido deck is great. They will open the roof and there are windows all along the Lido pool area. Another place to view, especially if it is foggy, is again the Lido, but, right up front. Go through the Ocean Spa to the left front corner. There is a doorway out to the deck. It is sheltered a bit from wind and rain. Just listen to the glaciers as the ship passes. You can hear it moving, cracking, etc.

They also have a naturalist on board who will give talks about glaciers and wildlife in Alaska. The times will be posted in your daily schedule which is delivered to your cabin.

Dining in the Pinnacle Grill is well worth the additional reservation fee of about $20US for at least one evening.

As for shore excursions, if you can afford it, the dog sledding on top of the glacier out of Skagway is fabulous.

Archived