Half Moon Cay Days

bookitdanno

We’ve enjoyed the nature walk path. And stopping in at the cute little chapel. There are some restrooms along the way too. 

I prefer to skip the barbecue luncheon. The chicken is ok but I find the trimmings less than appealing. If we go ashore we come back to eat on the ship. 
Maureen 

Personally, I never skip HMC.  My husband likes to stay on the ship, but not I.  There's very few places better than there to pull up a chair, read a book and enjoy such a beautiful view.  Not to mention the pristine water for swimming. I also like the buffet, but again, I'm not cooking so it's all good. LOL.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Colorado Klutch said:

Is there a charge for the buffet on the beach, or is it included?

The Buffet on the cay is not beachside, but close. On the walking path.  And free. I think for a few hrs around lunchtime, not open entire day.  They had burgers and salads and chicken and beans and whatnot the last few times I’ve been. Not really my fav thing, but some people seemed to enjoy it much more than I did. I did have a soft serve cone that was perfect out in the heat, also there and free.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Colorado Klutch said:

Is there a charge for the buffet on the beach, or is it included?

No charge except for sodas, etc just as on the ship; lemonade, punch, water are free.

Usually served 11-1.

Also, you use your state room card for all purchase (including drinks) everywhere except the couple of "local" vendors that are under the thatch roofs; those are cash, not sure if they takes cards as I've never tried.

Edited by Haljo1935
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

No charge except for sodas, etc just as on the ship; lemonade, punch, water are free.

Usually served 11-1.

Also, you use your state room card for all purchase (including drinks) everywhere except the couple of "local" vendors that are under the thatch roofs; those are cash, not sure if they takes cards as I've never tried.

I believe those few "straw market" vendors take cash only--US dollars are OK.  You can charge to your stateroom card in the gift shop though.

Regarding the free buffet hours, yes, it's usually 11-1 but don't wait until near closing because they may run out of many items.  They only have what they bring off the ship so when something's gone, it's gone.

We always enjoy a leisurely breakfast on the ship then meander over to the island. I love snorkeling and swimming in that beautiful water. In all the times we’ve been there we’ve never eaten at the buffet. We usually come back and eat at the Dive In. 

On 4/28/2023 at 11:41 AM, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Note that if you have the beverage package, it does not cover drinks on HMC. Those will be charged to your account.

You used to be able to buy a drink package for the island ($25 or $35 per day?), but I'm not sure if it is still provided. We bought it for one of the two days we were there and each had 3 drinks and a few waters.

43 minutes ago, robotpony said:

You used to be able to buy a drink package for the island ($25 or $35 per day?), but I'm not sure if it is still provided. We bought it for one of the two days we were there and each had 3 drinks and a few waters.

It was not offered Feb 2023, or any other time I was there since Covid; can't speak to prior Covid. So, as recently as 2 months ago, it wasn't offered.

1 hour ago, robotpony said:

It's listed on our December cruise on the Nieuw Statendam. It's $24.95 and covers 15 beverages. That's some serious pounding for a short port stop. The bargain conscious may want to take a beach bag to fill with "room sodas" or "room beers" to take back to the ship.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, POA1 said:

It's listed on our December cruise on the Nieuw Statendam. It's $24.95 and covers 15 beverages. That's some serious pounding for a short port stop

I'm not sure it was great value for us (a bit better than break even), mostly because the days we had at Half Moon Cay were pretty short overall. It was nice to have a fixed cost for those drinks, compared to other islands where it was out of pocket, but next time I think we would just pay a la cart.