Help with tipping in San Francisco

Korimako

Gosh - this an etiquette minefield!! There are several points in these replies which confuse me, so here goes!

Basically, anyone I come across who does anything for me, no matter how trivial, will expect to be paid?

I think what you mean by a bellhop/bellman, we would call a porter. This job does not exist in most hotels in NZ (most hotels in NZ are motel-type hotels) neither do we have doormen. The only doormen we have encountered have been in upscale London hotels and Singapore, where tipping is not allowed.

I will only have carry-on baggage (small roller acceptable as international cabin baggage) and my handbag (purse I believe you call it?) Do I really need help to get it out of the taxi and up to my room??

I still haven't worked out to do percentages on the calculator on my phone, so that won't help me much:classic_sad:

Is it this complicated in Canada? I might just look for a departure from Vancouver!

6 minutes ago, jsn55 said:

All depends on the luxury level of the hotels you stay in.  Lots of people haven't stayed at Conrads or InterContinentals, so it's good to be prepared for anything.

Not necessarily luxury hotels. The Riverside Hotel in Fort Lauderdale has a bell station  has a bell station and they offer to take bags. Last time I was at a Hyatt Regency they offered to take my bags up. 

33 minutes ago, Korimako said:

I think what you mean by a bellhop/bellman, we would call a porter. This job does not exist in most hotels in NZ (most hotels in NZ are motel-type hotels) neither do we have doormen. The only doormen we have encountered have been in upscale London hotels and Singapore, where tipping is not allowed.

I will only have carry-on baggage (small roller acceptable as international cabin baggage) and my handbag (purse I believe you call it?) Do I really need help to get it out of the taxi and up to my room??

I still haven't worked out to do percentages on the calculator on my phone, so that won't help me much:classic_sad:

Is it this complicated in Canada? I might just look for a departure from Vancouver!

No you don't tip everyone who gets paid. Someone posted a link from TripAdvisor a few posts up that explains who to tip. 

Tipping etiquette is pretty much the same in Canada as the US.

You are not required to hand your bag to a bellman. I rarely do. 

I don't believe you are that helpless that you can't work out how to use the calculator app on your phone. There are apps you can download where you type in number and press tip and percentages are offered. What kind of phone do you have? On my iPhone and Apple Watch I say Hey Siri., what is a 20 per cent tip on $______and it calculates the amount. If you have an Android phone I bet Google Assistant will do the same.

Edited by Charles4515

Yes I am that hopeless at percentages - calculator or no calculator! My husband is the maths whizz, so he does all that. My skill set is language- based, I speak 3 other languages besides English. 

I have just discovered, after your suggestion to download an app etc., I can also ask Siri to work out percentages for me!

Thank you.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

I just press no tip for counter service and I am not embarrassed to do so.

What I have not encountered yet but I have read about is some restaurants starting to add a 3% fee for health or health and welfare or something to that effect. I am not sure what I will do. Can I put I a strike through line though that and not pay it? 

Nope...This was Seattle.  

20210809_130349.jpg

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Korimako said:

I am considering a cruise from San Francisco to Auckland and intend staying several days in San Francisco pre-cruise. My worry, though is I have NO idea about tipping etiquette, coming from a country where we don't have a tipping culture. Who do I tip, how much, how often??

I wouldn't want to appear mean or unpleasant, nor would I want to be criticised for not leaving a tip, but it's quite possible I might forget, or be unaware someone was waiting for one, as it's just not on my radar.

Any guidance gratefully received - and please, as I'm mathematically challenged, don't give me percentages!!

Most restaurants now put both the percentage and the dollar amount as a "suggested tip".  There are also numerous phone apps about calculating tips.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

Nope...This was Seattle.  

20210809_130349.jpg

Interesting. Never heard of that one. Back east where I used to live tips were pooled in many restaurants. Or the servers tipped out the cooks from their tips. Maybe they don’t allow tip pools in Seattle? That is at an airport which is sort of a captive location. Would they have a cook’s commission at a non airport location?

Personally I would be at the Amex Centurion Lounge at Sea-Tac not a restaurant. 

That really sounds like a service charge. Wouldn’t it make more sense to have no tips and a service charge rather than tips and a cook’s commission? Some customers might decide to reduce their tip amount by the amount of the “cooks commission”. 

• Like 1

Sure, the hotel I used to stay in Fort Lauderdale was a Quality Inn and had a great bellman, Henry who was there for years.  He took great care of repeat cruisers.  

I am still staying at some hotels that have concierges. If they provide me a service then they get a tip from me. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Interesting. Never heard of that one. Back east where I used to live tips were pooled in many restaurants. Or the servers tipped out the cooks from their tips. Maybe they don’t allow tip pools in Seattle? That is at an airport which is sort of a captive location. Would they have a cook’s commission at a non airport location?

Personally I would be at the Amex Centurion Lounge at Sea-Tac not a restaurant. 

That really sounds like a service charge. Wouldn’t it make more sense to have no tips and a service charge rather than tips and a cook’s commission? Some customers might decide to reduce their tip amount by the amount of the “cooks commission”. 

Listening to other tourists argue with the "Care Facilitators" (wait staff), the tips go to them and the Cook's Commission only to the cooks. Based on our eavesdropping, the wait staff do see a 5% deduction.  It isn't in the airport but nearby, within walking distance of hotels.  

20210809_122248.jpg

28 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

Listening to other tourists argue with the "Care Facilitators" (wait staff), the tips go to them and the Cook's Commission only to the cooks. Based on our eavesdropping, the wait staff do see a 5% deduction.  It isn't in the airport but nearby, within walking distance of hotels.  

20210809_122248.jpg

I'm politely asking how you know where your tips go in a restaurant.  I live in SF and never heard of a 'cook's commission' anywhere in my travels.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, jsn55 said:

I'm politely asking how you know where your tips go in a restaurant.  I live in SF and never heard of a 'cook's commission' anywhere in my travels.

Did you read the posts above?  The post CLEARLY showed where and what.  

28 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

Did you read the posts above?  The post CLEARLY showed where and what.  

Sorry, I read that your opinion was based on eavesdropping.  That part was quite clear.  Maybe I missed part of your post?  

20210809_122248.jpg

Care Facilitators….LOL. Sounds very left coast. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, jsn55 said:

Sorry, I read that your opinion was based on eavesdropping.  That part was quite clear.  Maybe I missed part of your post?  

The context was the receipt she posted from that restaurant with the 5% Cooks Commission added onto the bill. It does not seem like you read the previous posts in the thread. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jsn55 said:

You live in San Francisco have you ever heard of a 'health care surcharge' anywhere in your travels?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, scottca075 said:

You live in San Francisco have you ever heard of a 'health care surcharge' anywhere in your travels?

Obviously, I'm ignorant of current trends in dining ... I never pay attention to any of that stuff.  It's like buying gas in NoCA for an SUV.  There's no point in looking at the price, it's just depressing.  If I like the restaurant, I go there and pay whatever they charge.  Kinda lazy I guess.  But if they're coming up with weirdness like 'Care Facilitators', I'm better off ignoring it all.  I've just always wondered what the real story is behind who gets the tips in a restaurant.

15 minutes ago, jsn55 said:

Obviously, I'm ignorant of current trends in dining ... I never pay attention to any of that stuff.  It's like buying gas in NoCA for an SUV.  There's no point in looking at the price, it's just depressing.  If I like the restaurant, I go there and pay whatever they charge.  Kinda lazy I guess.  But if they're coming up with weirdness like 'Care Facilitators', I'm better off ignoring it all.  I've just always wondered what the real story is behind who gets the tips in a restaurant.

No real mystery but different restaurants do it differently but staff usually "tip out" others who help them...waiters tip out bussers and bartenders, sometimes hosts and expeditors.  Why?  Because waiters want bussers to clear their tables quickly,   bartenders to make their drinks orders first and overlook the mistakes in calling the drinks (bartenders usually have a method), hosts to seat the better tippers in their area and not seat the known poor tippers, expeditors to get their orders out.  It takes teamwork so without the tip out, the waiter would get all the glory for a meal well done plus the tips.   

• Like 2

On 4/28/2023 at 6:01 PM, Korimako said:

I don't think the Canadians are as stuck on the tipping thing.  I think you might find their practices more in line with NZ (especially considering that you are all part of the Commonwealth).  The Queen er..... King is still on your coins and stamps, right?

The U.S. still has a tipping culture, but that is starting to vary from state to state, and frankly is starting to get political.

Washington State has a very high minimum wage.  In Seattle the minimum wage is so high that some restaurants have started putting "service charges" on their bills.  If a restaurant charges me a service charge or tacks on a predetermined tip amount, I will not add a tip.  You'll find a lot of restaurants that have Square or Clover terminals, that do both the order and card processing.  Most of these places have limited table service.  They almost always offer the ability to tip.  If I'm having to schlep my food from a counter to the table and then clean up after myself, no tip.

If I tip, I also tip on the pre-tax amount.  I'm not going to calculate any tip on the sales tax value, just on the value of the product ordered.

That receipt that @Elaine5715 shared is pretty typical Seattle these days.  You see all kinds of Mickey Mouse stuff on bills now.  Full on service charges, "cook's commissions", etc.  I did a little math with my handy dandy 10-key next to the computer and found that the tip recommendations are based upon only the product purchased and before any any surcharges and tax.  Also note that the sales tax in Washington in a gross receipts tax, so that "commission" is also taxed to you.  I guess I'm a jerk, but if I saw the "cook's commission" on the tab I would have subtracted that from any tip I might have provided.  And, oh wow!  SeaTac's sales tax rate is like 10.1%!  Wozers, that is high!

So, to make this simple, if the place you are dining at is full service, and your bill is only for food and beverage and you do not see any additional "service charges", then tipping anywhere between 10-20% of the pre-tax value is ok.  Don't feel obligated for any particular rate... or frankly at all.  Remember, you are tipping and paying AFTER the meal and service is provided, so if you are on the low end of tipping, what does it matter?  They will likely never see you again and even if they do, they are supposed to provide good service no matter what.  If the place you are dining at is limited service or no service, no tip.  For baggage handling, I typically do $1/bag.  I'm not going to adjust for inflation.

I'm sure there may be those that accuse me of removing on board tipping, but I don't do that.  I've always left the on board auto-tip in place and am happy to tip for other services on board.  Frankly, I get so much better service on a cruise than I do on land.  On a cruise I have a well dressed, friendly, smiling, and apparently happy person getting me my morning coffee.  At home it is a perforated and branded 20-something with pink hair and a bad attitude.  Now, you ask me who deserves a tip?

• Like 1

With the various commissions and taxes, are they mentioned on menus or anywhere so that you can do an approximation of the total cost?
The Aussie dollar is weak against the US so having an idea of what I am paying for a meal before choosing it is very helpful.

8 hours ago, jeromep said:

I don't think the Canadians are as stuck on the tipping thing.  I think you might find their practices more in line with NZ (especially considering that you are all part of the Commonwealth).  The Queen er..... King is still on your coins and stamps, right?

Tipping culture in Canada is not like NZ where they don't tip. Canada is like the USA.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, jeromep said:

The U.S. still has a tipping culture, but that is starting to vary from state to state, and frankly is starting to get political.

Washington State has a very high minimum wage.  In Seattle the minimum wage is so high that some restaurants have started putting "service charges" on their bills.  If a restaurant charges me a service charge or tacks on a predetermined tip amount, I will not add a tip.  You'll find a lot of restaurants that have Square or Clover terminals, that do both the order and card processing.  Most of these places have limited table service.  They almost always offer the ability to tip.  If I'm having to schlep my food from a counter to the table and then clean up after myself, no tip.

If I tip, I also tip on the pre-tax amount.  I'm not going to calculate any tip on the sales tax value, just on the value of the product ordered.

I guess I'm a jerk, but if I saw the "cook's commission" on the tab I would have subtracted that from any tip I might have provided.  And, oh wow!  SeaTac's sales tax rate is like 10.1%!  Wozers, that is high!

Yes, the tipping culture is starting to vary from state to state. I think because some states have raised the minimium wage and even eliminated the low cash tip rate while others maintain the old low rates. So if Washington has a minimium wage now of $16 instead of $7.25 it seems like it should change but tipping culture is ingrained from the low wage past. 

I hate those Square and Clover terminals. Back east only a few places had them.  Here there are alot more places using them.I am now  selecting no tip at no table service places. I don't care to be bullied anymore.

I don't think you are a jerk. I was always taught that you don't add a tip if there is a service charge. Only have had those for large parties and places that had a lot of international tourists and they had them because those tourists acme from places without a tipping culture. This commision thing is one i never heard of before this thread but I have heard of health insurance service charge although I never have actually encountered those yet.There was a new article about a restaurant in Dallas.  If I actually see service charges or commissions I will have to decide but in the abstract I think I would deduct from the tip line.

9 hours ago, 2022cruisey said:

With the various commissions and taxes, are they mentioned on menus or anywhere so that you can do an approximation of the total cost?
The Aussie dollar is weak against the US so having an idea of what I am paying for a meal before choosing it is very helpful.

The approxamte total cost will likely be 25% to 30% more than the menu price. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, oakridger said:

I have seen the special surcharges mentioned on menus around the area but can't guarantee that all restaurants will show it.  They should be upfront with people but probably aren't always.

~Nancy

I always check the receipt carefully because while service or health or commision charges are not a thing here, at least not yet, errors not uncommon. Getting charged for the wrong item or somthing not ordered or just a different price than on the menu. 

• Like 2