Drive to Homer

roupa

Planning a cruise out of Seward after visiting Homer.  Looking to rent a car for a few days ahead of the cruise.   (Did so a few years back…Anchorage to Seward to Anchorage before a cruise/tour …Denali then departed from Whittier for cruise). Anybody done the drive from Anchorage to Homer to Seward?   Looks like a nice trip to interesting Homer.

Sounds like a whole lot of driving. Have done all those trips in the past. How long are you allowing for the Anchorage-Homer-Seward trip. Be sure to allow extra time in case of accidents / road construction.. Are you returning to Anchorage or Seward for the cruise. If you rent the car in Anchorage I don't know if possible to drop car in Seward.

Cruise departs from Seward, so No return drive to anchorage.  Our drive would end in Seward providing car drop is available.  If not, then that drive plan would have to be scrapped.

Will determine number of days to allow once route is set.   No time frame yet.   Previously we drove round trip Anchorage/Seward in 3-4 days.   Did a nice/scenic boat tour at Resurrection Bay.

Good luck with your plans. Homer is my favorite town as the views from there are great. If your planning on going in the summer those roads can get quite congested with fishermen depending on the salmon runs I'll be up there July and August. Will probably be down in that area sometime depending on the fish. .

If you can possibly fit Homer into your plans, you absolutely should. IMO the drive along Kachemak Bay into Homer is stunning, and even nicer than the trip from Anchorage down to Seward. Homer has a lot to do, and the times I have been there it had much better weather than Seward on the same day.

Car rentals are uber expensive here.  Not sure when your cruise is, but if you haven't booked a car already, you may be out of luck, plus one way rentals are virtually impossible.  I just checked with Hertz for a 4 day return to Anchorage in mid June and cars were $210 per day, and about the same for Thrifty.  If you are going to do this, you might consider a Turo with a return to Anchorage then get your ship transfer to Seward.  But, you will be traveling over the same road then 3 times if going to Homer.