Price reduction

di T

10 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

Yet in the real world, I ran into so many O cruisers on Riviera that were using up FCC because of "use or lose" situation. They weren't happy at all. Taking a cruise they really didn't want to take or lose the FCC. As I said: "Seems like so many get burned on "future cruise credit". 

Perhaps we’re talking past each other. When Oceania cancelled our multiple cruises, we never took a “ credit “, always cash back.

What we buy aboard are certificates that give a year booking window and a two year cruising window for use. Since we weren’t aboard during the pandemic, a certificate couldn’t be purchased.

Though not assured, hopefully the circumstances that led to all those credits are past use. Since I believe accepting them, in lieu of cash back, in the first place was a poor decision, hopefully many learned not to do so in the future given the options.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MEFIowa said:

Seems like so many get burned on "future cruise credit". No idea why anyone would go down what seems more "pig in a poke"/"two in the bush" future hope than actually booking a real cruise on a actual sale.

My upcoming August cruise was booked using a future cruise certificate.  When we purchased it in March of last year we hadn't planned what our next cruise was going to be.  As pinotlover explained, we don't want to book a placeholder cruise and tie up a cabin someone else may want.  The OBC of the current cruise and reduced deposit on the next cruise is a very good benefit. We don't feel like we were "burned".

Not all cruises are included in the ESS or cabin upgrade sale. My August cruise isn't included in any of these sales but I am getting the benefit of the future cruise certificate. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, sunlover12 said:

My upcoming August cruise was booked using a future cruise certificate.  When we purchased it in March of last year we hadn't planned what our next cruise was going to be. ... Not all cruises are included in the ESS or cabin upgrade sale. My August cruise isn't included in any of these sales but I am getting the benefit of the future cruise certificate.

If you purchase a FCC you have no idea what specific cruise, if any, you make take in the future. There might not even be one you want. Or you might be forced to take one you don't want to take in order not to lose it.

Second, booking an actual cruise from an actual cabin-upgrade sale means you'll likely get the lowest cost for your cabin for an actual cruise you want to take.

Thus, we only book actual cruises we know we want to take and try to book them when they are included in an actual sale that reduces the cabin fare.

34 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Perhaps we’re talking past each other. When Oceania cancelled our multiple cruises, we never took a “ credit “, always cash back.

What we buy aboard are certificates that give a year booking window and a two year cruising window for use. Since we weren’t aboard during the pandemic, a certificate couldn’t be purchased.

Though not assured, hopefully the circumstances that led to all those credits are past use. Since I believe accepting them, in lieu of cash back, in the first place was a poor decision, hopefully many learned not to do so in the future given the options.

Agreed.  I do think that we are in the midst of a unique time coming off of covid.  From our experience people are not running up huge amounts of OBC by taking the onboard certificate for a future cruise. A few hundred more certainly but not thousands.  We took the onboard future cruise  certificate, within a month or six weeks we had signed up for another cruise in 2024 and had it all transferred and done with our TA. Easy, O holds a minimum of our money until final payment and we got some OBC which we had none on our first cruise so we may splurge and do a la reserve or something similar.

And lets all remember that we, at least, assume and hope that in the future there will not be any more major sales like the one that has gotten such great deals for many on these threads.  Not that we don't want to get great fares but we do want the O product to remain strong and for them to basically fill all their ships all the time.  I don't think anything overly negative about this sale at this time but if there is another one next year, and the year after, I think it would then be time to be concerned.

Finally, lets remember that cost is not the single biggest factor for all O cruisers. In fact I would guess for many it is of some importance but only within reason compared to itinerary, food quality, etc.

But once again, as I always try and say, what works for one does not have to work for all.  These threads are great to point out options for people like me who came here looking for knowledge.  However, everyone needs to understand, regardless of what side they fall on any particular issue, that those who disagree are not wrong, only of a differing view.  Except of course when it comes to taking the olife OBC, that's just plain wrong.  Kidding, do what makes you happy.

1 hour ago, MEFIowa said:

Yet in the real world, I ran into so many O cruisers on Riviera that were using up FCC because of "use or lose" situation. They weren't happy at all. Taking a cruise they really didn't want to take or lose the FCC. As I said: "Seems like so many get burned on "future cruise credit". 

My guess is that many of those were FCC from COVID cancelations that had to be used no Onboard FCC purchases....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Woofa said:

... lets remember that cost is not the single biggest factor for all O cruisers. In fact I would guess for many it is of some importance but only within reason compared to itinerary, food quality, etc....

Though read the outrage on those threads not too long ago by the long-term and near-term O cruisers who found out the drink package prices were rising! God forbid. Woe is us. The end of the world is nigh. Who knew that paying an additional $10 a day could mean so much to so many who were already spending THOUSANDS of dollars on a cruise (including airfare, excursions, etc.)? "Cost" 😉

• Like 1

Thanks for the insights guys I will buy a future cruise voucher on my next trip as I plan a cruise with O once a year anyway and it does give a low deposit - I think my issue stemmed from the unhelpful agent at O but in the end the cruise was put to the lower pricing a couple of k lower! although it was like dragging nails along glass with her ! So I will insist on another agent to do the booking next time and see if I can establish a better relationship.

I will wait until April or May next year to see what offers they put on and at the end of the day if they are saying best price until sailing date with the voucher - insist they honor that!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

If you purchase a FCC you have no idea what specific cruise, if any, you make take in the future. There might not even be one you want. Or you might be forced to take one you don't want to take in order not to lose it.

Second, booking an actual cruise from an actual cabin-upgrade sale means you'll likely get the lowest cost for your cabin for an actual cruise you want to take.

Thus, we only book actual cruises we know we want to take and try to book them when they are included in an actual sale that reduces the cabin fare.

You have one year from date of purchase of FCC to choose a cruise.  The selected cruise can commence outside of one year. Thus the choice of cruises will be vast. We've never been forced to take a cruise we didn't want just to use a FCC.

Keep in mind that not all cruises qualify for the cabin upgrade sale or any sale. In fact many of them don't and when they do, there are limitations. I'm not going to choose a cruise just because I can get a cabin upgrade. As Woofa said, cost is not always the single biggest factor for some cruisers. 

2 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

No, you can just get your $250/person deposit back, so no net-cost to the buyer. If the bonus-onboard-booking-OBC was used on the cruise (when the Future-Cruise_Certificate (not Future-Cruise-Credit) was purchased), it will need to be paid back...still at no net-cost to the buyer. There is no financial risk to buying FCCertificates other than having a deposit held by O.

• Like 2

That is how the voucher is sold by the onboard ambassador - refundable if you change your mind -only £400 in sterling -acts as a deposit -you can change your booking once-best price guarantee until sailing  date (hopefully) Also $300 obc on your next cruise or $100 on your current one.

All in all a good deal as long as you make the agent play ball!!

Ps I think we will see good deals for some time to come as these cruise lines are BILLIONS in debt!

and the rises in interest rates are not helping with the payments!.  NCL has not so much debt  as others but Billions anyway.

The banks wont call these debts as they dont want redundant cruise ships on their hands either.

As my old boss used to tell us times are hard boys -treat your customers like kings - Cause its sink or swim time!!

1 hour ago, sunlover12 said:

You have one year from date of purchase of FCC to choose a cruise.  The selected cruise can commence outside of one year. Thus the choice of cruises will be vast. We've never been forced to take a cruise we didn't want just to use a FCC.

Keep in mind that not all cruises qualify for the cabin upgrade sale or any sale. In fact many of them don't and when they do, there are limitations. I'm not going to choose a cruise just because I can get a cabin upgrade. As Woofa said, cost is not always the single biggest factor for some cruisers. 

Agree completely - we always book cruise or buy FCC while onboard to get lower deposit and other benefits. We never book a cruise based on the sale price. Actually, almost never the cruises that we choose go on sale anyway and many categories are often sold out before any sale comes up. So booking onboard works for us as generally it provides the biggest benefits that we can get.

• Like 3