Dr Pepper in Seattle

Gsel

One of the people sailing with me from Seattle loves Dr Pepper. Does anyone know if or where we could purchase some in cans? (Personally I hate the stuff, she loves it!)

Thanks

Barbara

As a rootbeer loving diabetic I often have to compromise on my preferred brand (A&W) when shopping but I can concur on the ease of finding my usual alternative Dr Pepper all over the PNW in sugar-free form. I've never failed to find DDP in any decent size convenience store around Seattle or Portland, let alone big drugstores or supermarkets. DDP is even on draft in some local chain restos in the PNW, like the delightfully-alliterative Bobs Burgers & Brews!

If she drinks the sugary version it's even easier to find. If you're in a downtown hotel pre-cruise there's a lovely big urban Target on 2nd, fills the length of the block between Pike and Union so easily visited after a visit to Pike Place market, which is usually where we grab snacks and pop when in Seattle - anywhere cheaper tends to be much more suburban!

9 hours ago, Gsel said:

One of the people sailing with me from Seattle loves Dr Pepper. Does anyone know if or where we could purchase some in cans? (Personally I hate the stuff, she loves it!)

Thanks

Barbara

I'm aware of some differences between Dr. Pepper formulas.  What we have our here is the "national" formula.  It may not be quite the same as what you folks in Texas get, but it could also be the same for all I know.  Dr. Pepper is just as common out here as Coke and Pepsi.  The western U.S. is more Pepsi country, but Coke is all over.  I prefer Coke on fountain, and Pepsi in the can.  But that also varies from place to place to.  Here in eastern Washington the local bottlers for Pepsi are much larger, mostly due to the larger presence of Pepsi and the greater number of licensing agreements they have purchased.  For example, the Pepsi bottlers are also the holders of the license to bottle Dr. Pepper, 7-Up, and a number of other pops and beverages.  The Coke bottlers are smaller operations, that focus on Coke brands.  For quite a while if you were at a fast food joint or mini-mart with a fountain and they were exclusive with Coke, you'd find Mr. Pibb on Coke fountains as they didn't bottle/resell Dr. Pepper.  That has changed a bit.  The fast food joints with the Coke Freestyle machines have Dr. Pepper, but that is because the concentrate for those machines comes in cartridges that load into the machine kind of like a VHS cassette, so easy to ship and store, unlike canisters of syrup or the huge boxes of syrup with the bladder inside.

Anyway, Seattle has a sugary beverage tax, so I'd avoid purchasing pop in Seattle proper, and try to do so outside of Seattle.  If you are flying in pre-cruise, I recommend staying in one of the hotels surrounding SeaTac airport.  In that area you are quite a few miles south of Seattle.  Grocery stores and mini-marts are abundant as SeaTac is surrounded by residential suburbs like White Center, Burien, and Tukwilla, to name a few.  Typical grocery store names are Safeway (Albertson's companies), Fred Meyer (owned by Kroger), QFC (Also Kroger).  Your club card for your Texas grocery store might just work, so don't be afraid to use it.  You can't spit without hitting a Safeway.  Your best prices will be at the grocery stores.  Of course, you can visit mini-marts, or corner markets.  However, I'd be surprised if your cruise line didn't have Dr. Pepper in the can, if not on the bar gun, when you are actually cruising.