Britannia 5th May - Help I’m unprepared!

Groovybusybee

Hi All, 

I am an experienced cruiser (usually Celebrity) but first time on P&O.  I’m travelling with my sister who has limited mobility and we are booked in an accessible cabin on deck 12. This cruise has sort of snook up on me and suddenly I’m going on Friday and I feel as if I don’t know anything about the ship or how P&O operates.

A few questions………plug sockets, UK or American? Which adapters should I pack?

We have opted for anytime dining, I’m assuming I can book table times on the app? But we would quite like to sit at a larger table so that we can meet new people, do you still use the app or just turn up and wait to be seated?

When is muster, and do you need to take lifejackets? We like to get there early as my sister is in a power chair, ditto hanging around until the crush has dispersed after it finishes as we obviously need to use a lift.

Any help in answering these questions would be much appreciated. Thank you

Just now, Groovybusybee said:

Hi All, 

I am an experienced cruiser (usually Celebrity) but first time on P&O.  I’m travelling with my sister who has limited mobility and we are booked in an accessible cabin on deck 12. This cruise has sort of snook up on me and suddenly I’m going on Friday and I feel as if I don’t know anything about the ship or how P&O operates.

A few questions………plug sockets, UK or American? Which adapters should I pack?

We have opted for anytime dining, I’m assuming I can book table times on the app? But we would quite like to sit at a larger table so that we can meet new people, do you still use the app or just turn up and wait to be seated?

When is muster, and do you need to take lifejackets? We like to get there early as my sister is in a power chair, ditto hanging around until the crush has dispersed after it finishes as we obviously need to use a lift.

Any help in answering these questions would be much appreciated. Thank you

Plug sockets are UK.

Yes, you book tables on the app. Although you can just turn up at the MDR. If they can't seat you straight away they'll give you a pager.

Muster is on your cabin TV. You attend your muster station when you board and have your boarding pass scanned. 

It’s a while since we were on Britannia but I have a vague memory that the socket in the bathroom is not a standard size shaver socket. If you need one for a toothbrush or razor then it might be worth taking a standard (3-pin) shaver adapter. Perhaps others could confirm or otherwise. 

45 minutes ago, Ranchi said:

It’s a while since we were on Britannia but I have a vague memory that the socket in the bathroom is not a standard size shaver socket. If you need one for a toothbrush or razor then it might be worth taking a standard (3-pin) shaver adapter. Perhaps others could confirm or otherwise. 

We used adapter in bathroom for shaver and toothbrush.

Similar to UK to Europe travel adapter at RS  https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/travel-adapters/6683698

The  2 pins at back which plug into bathroom socket are smaller than pins on shaver and toothbrush.

The larger 2 pins on shaver and toothbrush fit in the bottom section at front of adapter.

It's worth noting that unlike Celebrity you cannot prebook MDR times in the P&O app. Instead  when you want to dine , you join a 'virtual queue ' on the app, and request private table or sharing table, wheelchair space or not. Then you get a notification when your table is ready.  Formal nights get busy, so it's a good idea to check the queues a bit earlier than you want to eat on those nights.

• Like 1

Has that changed then when we were on Iona November 22 we booked the whole 14 days at 6pm table for 2 on the app and walked straight into reception and told our table number which changed every night 

26 minutes ago, binman2 said:

Has that changed then when we were on Iona November 22 we booked the whole 14 days at 6pm table for 2 on the app and walked straight into reception and told our table number which changed every night 

You can book early dining but once that has gone that’s it. Later dining is all by the app. 

• Like 1

Hi Groovybusybee and all cruisers,

Thanks for your post. 🙂

We're on Britannia 5th May going to Norwegian fjords. We've only done one cruise before and it was on P&O Arcadia. We didn't have an app for dining, we just opted for early meal and show every night. What is this app please? Also, a friend who's taken lots of cruises told me about this site. She said you can share taxis with others when the ship docks rather than take the official tours. Do you know anything about this please? 

This ship seems massive. I feel daunted! 

46 minutes ago, Happyoldercruiser said:

Thanks for your post. 🙂

We're on Britannia 5th May going to Norwegian fjords. We've only done one cruise before and it was on P&O Arcadia. We didn't have an app for dining, we just opted for early meal and show every night. What is this app please? Also, a friend who's taken lots of cruises told me about this site. She said you can share taxis with others when the ship docks rather than take the official tours. Do you know anything about this please? 

It actually isn't an app, it's a web page which is only available through the ship's wifi.  The link for it is given to you either with check-in paperwork or in the paperwork in your cabin (can't remember exactly).  You don't have to use it for dining, but it does help and is easy to use and actually very useful.  As for sharing taxis, I would think that using a taxi in Norway is very expensive even if sharing.  Sharing taxis is more common in the Mediterranean and Caribbeann.  You don't have to take the official tours on any cruise but I would recommend some of them in Norway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Happyoldercruiser said:

Thanks for your post. 🙂

My Holiday (App) information below. How to use is at bottom of page.

https://www.pocruises.com/my-holiday